• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Asking out someone you don't know.

mikeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
5
So, there is this girl in one of my large classes, which I think is good looking, I wish I knew her, but I don't. Is it weird/creepy to ask somebody out that you don't know? I know nothing about her, like her age. Also if it would be acceptable, how would I go about asking her out? Sorry I know this sounds like an 8th grade problem. Any serious help would be awesome. Thanks
 

ama

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
3,822
Reaction score
54
Incollegetheydon'tteachspacebar?
 

mikeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by ama
Incollegetheydon'tteachspacebar?

Thanks for the peer review. I edited it just for you.
 

Agnacious

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
686
Reaction score
4
It's not acceptable and you will lose any chance if you proceed.

What is acceptable is to get to know someone, find out you have a common interest(s) and then ask her out.

You can invite her to a party (that is more than just you, or you and your dateless friends) and get to know here there.

Or you can just have one of your friends (not in the class) grab her ass and run to her defense. But that is more of an advanced icebreaker.
 

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
3,992
Reaction score
15
Let's compare points of view.

From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes.

From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes?

Now go find a way to be awesome and have her notice you.
 

Kohan

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by alliswell
Let's compare points of view.

From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes.

From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes?

Now go find a way to be awesome and have her notice you.


+1000

From what I've seen (and crassly f*ed up trying, to be fair), by the time you notice an attractive female she has long since gotten over the novelty of being harassed for her genetic makeup.

At the very least, find a way to sit next to her and chat for a couple lectures before you do anything stalker-esque. Or, you know, try Agnacious's suggestion and fake some chivalry. Let us know how that goes!
 

mikeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by alliswell
Let's compare points of view.

From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes.

From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes?

Now go find a way to be awesome and have her notice you.


Excellent point.Honestly,the thing I know what separates me,from 98% of my school is that I dress decently,and I can tell,by the way she dresses that it important to her.I know that doesnt mean much,but I think it would be a shit,except I'm shy as hell.
 

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
66
Originally Posted by alliswell
Let's compare points of view. From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes. From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes? Now go find a way to be awesome and have her notice you.
haha nice.
 

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,644
Reaction score
35
Originally Posted by mikeman
I'm shy as hell.

That's the problem. Girls, especially attractive ones, want a confident, calm guy who doesn't care what she thinks of him or whether she turns him down.

Whatever you do, don't compliment her on her looks. That would make you look like the countless others who have done the same - plain Joe.
 

mikeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
5
So, how would you approach her?What would you say if you didnt know them at all?
 

Hany

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
499
Reaction score
0
If you are in class together it doesn't get easier. Keep looking at her (it should be done naturally if she's beautiful) and she will notice it. If you are attractive/her type she will smile to you. Even if she's shy she will smile (in a shy, cute way). If she's not she will look back and smile. Take it from there.
 

mikeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
5
well I do look,but I think I would ask her out after class,what would I say to her?
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,733
Reaction score
406
I don't see the problem with asking someone to do something with you. They're not obliged and can willingly reject the offer if you're a pimple-faced goon who first asks an Internet forum for a confidence boost.
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
12,149
Reaction score
937
Originally Posted by mikeman
So, there is this girl in one of my large classes, which I think is good looking, I wish I knew her, but I don't. Is it weird/creepy to ask somebody out that you don't know? I know nothing about her, like her age. Also if it would be acceptable, how would I go about asking her out? Sorry I know this sounds like an 8th grade problem. Any serious help would be awesome. Thanks
Ok, so introduce yourself and start a conversation about class. During the chit-chat discuss something about life - say a party or get together your friends are having. Guage her interest, then if you see an opening invite her and some of her friends. After that, if she shows, bs with her then invite her out. Ultimately, shy or not, girls like guys who are "confident and calm". You need to appear comfortable in your own skin. You think all those hot girls are? 80% aren't. Anyway, don't over think it (yes, it's a cliche like 95% of the responses here), chat with her and see her response. Maybe she is a standoffish bitch, maybe she isn't. But start with just the basics, then see where things lead. The best bet is if you go out with her or invite her out to hang with a bunch of friends, keep it casual and see where it goes.
 

Hany

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
499
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mikeman
well I do look,but I think I would ask her out after class,what would I say to her?
If she smiles back talk to her. I know it's not easy but just tell yourself that your only barrier at this point is your shyness. You must overcome it. Say some goofy shit, she doesn't care at that point (assuming she smiled back). Start a convo saying "sorry do you know how to solve this.." or "how did you find the exam?" etc. Ask her a general question you would ask someone you are not interested to. Don't ask her out immediately. Forget about the "game" you hear about on the internet. It's for people that are not charming by just being themselves.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,776
Messages
9,362,595
Members
196,471
Latest member
mjkotovsky
Top