• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asking for measurments from previous tailors

gary1410

Reaction score
Is it common practice to ask for measurements from a tailor, specifically who makes your MTM suits? I feel almost bad for wanting to do this because that would almost indicate that you're probably going to go elsewhere, when in reality, I'm just curious about my measurements. I do tailors respond to this?

calvinloke

Reaction score
If you're going somewhere else, you can just bring along the last suit made by your previous tailor and have it measured . Wouldn't that be alot easier? For this reason, I don't think your tailor will be offended in any way. They will be happy to tell you your measurements.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tailors are usually pretty sensitive about this stuff and it's typically frowned upon.

At any rate a new tailor would most likely not use another tailor's measurements but would prefer to take his own instead.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Tailors are usually pretty sensitive about this stuff and it's typically frowned upon.

At any rate a new tailor would most likely not use another tailor's measurements but would prefer to take his own instead.

+1, I think both tailors would be offended. Plus, different tailors may have different conventions for taking measurements.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
If you're going to a new tailor, why not just have him take your measurements, especially considering they could have changed. If you just want them out of curiosity, the next time you go and have a suit made, ask him for your measurements, when you're paying to have something done, they're more likely to give you them. Also, give a reason (ie you like to buy clothes on SF and want to make sure you buy things that will fit) so that he doesn't think you're "cheating" on him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads