• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asking For a Raise at Troubled Business?

thomasec

Reaction score
So in the last year, I have been directly responsible for saving my company roughly $2 million by completely revamping our largest marketing program.

Unfortunately due to the current economy, our business has been flat in terms of growth year/year, which is a big deal for a Dotcom.

Anyway, I have yet to see a single pay raise or even title change based on my accomplishments, and I'm a bit nervous to approach my boss given the current state of the company.

Anyone ever ben in a similar situation and have any advice?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People see revenue vs savings as more important!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
opportunity st squeeze for a piece of the business. if you don't have a piece, then they really can't use the argument against you that the company is still in investment mode.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hard to say. your efforts to save them money may be responsible for your still having a job there as far as them being able to afford employing you. are you prepared to hear "no" and work as hard as you have been?

tj100

Reaction score
If the company's big enough to have $2M in savings in a single marketing program, they can give you a raise. Your salary is such a drop in the bucket overall that if it's important, they can make it happen.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Before anyone can consider your situation, you need to specify where you work (city, state/prov, country) and industry.

However, in general terms, raises are your right. More often than not, raises do not reflect performance or contribution....but more your relationship with those who decide your raise.

If you are the office ***** that does the grunt work day in and day out, while your managers, superiors and bosses are in their offices behind closed doors laughing to youtube vidoes.....expect nothing! You were hired a *****, will work yourself to death as a ***** at the same wage, and when you quit/maybe even fired, your memory will be tossed out the back door along with the trash of FeDeX boxes and yogurt containers.

It is up to you to get a raise. 99.99% of businesses are not Google to give you your raise and bonus on a plate, like your payslip. You must fight for it and get it, irrespective of extenuating circumstances.

Best wishes and good luck in your fight.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Be prepared to leave if you are not given the raise.

If it's something you truly deserve and they don't agree, tell them you have another offer somewhere else that will pay you what you're worth.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
You can ask for a raise and complain about compensation, but the ultimate leverage is being willing to walk out the door. See what else is out there and figure out whether you're underpaid. And if you are, and you'd consider leaving, then get yourself another offer and use it as leverage.

If you aren't really underpaid, or you love your job so much that you'd never leave, then you have to be a little more tactful about asking for more money. But in general, you're never going to get it if you don't assert yourself and ask for it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
Be prepared to leave if you are not given the raise. If it's something you truly deserve and they don't agree, tell them you have another offer somewhere else that will pay you what you're worth.
any advice for life after they call his bluff?

Valor

Reaction score
Find another offer first.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's the math - if you want a 10% raise, and you quit over it, and you are unemployed for a month, even if you get the 10% raise, in the course of the year you have come out behind. so think carefully

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Go ask for the raise, argue about the results you got and so on and if you don't like what you get start looking for a new job during work hours. Simple.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be justified in your asking for a raise. How close were you to the top of your salary range for your postion? Would you be happy with some other non-monetary compensation like more vacation days, or even a new title (perhaps not a promotion per se)? How long have you worked there/since your last raise? Do you have any backup to support the raise your asking for? Are you ready to be told all the stuff you dont do well?

Basically, your going to fail. Just cause you did well at one aspect of your job, your not going to be able to justify a one time raise. Bring it up on your next review, talk about how you really want to take it to the next level. Be prepared to wait. One time raises are like, hey I have a kid, and based on all the reasearch I have done it seems people with my qualifications and experiance are being paid X. I wondered if we could talk about increasing my salary to Y based on what I have shown you. Dont threaten to leave, or lie about another offer, thats stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics