• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asking a lot from your tailor

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my story:

I had three pairs of pants to alter.
Two pairs were perfect but one was much too short. Also, the opening seemed a bit large for my liking so I had them fix the length (the tailor estimated the amount to lengthen it) and taper the legs. It cost extra to taper the legs, obviously, and I paid it in advance.

I went today to pick up the pants and the pants were still too short for my liking. I compared them with the pants I was wearing that I feel have the perfect break. He tailor seemed reluctant to work on them again, but after a short bit of talking he agreed to lengthen the pants another 1/2 inch.

TLDR: I had the tailor work on the pants three times to get the fit correctly.

Is that above and beyond what I should ask for? Or are you as picky as me? I plan to take more work to this tailor since I like the work they've done.

bmf895

Reaction score
I don't think you're being picky. When you taper pants, it tends to shorten them a tiny bit. Your tailor should know and compensate for this. It sounds like he didn't.

ferguscan

Reaction score
I don't even bother expecting SF-style OCD attention from my alterations guy. I just ask for 32.5" inseam on very tapered trousers, and 32" inseam on the rest. No confusion that way.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it's too picky to get the items altered the way you want.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is not asking alot. When someone is paid to do a job that requires their expertise, then they should do what is paid for. I have had to have garments adjusted a couple times to get a perfect fit in my eyes and my tailor has never had an issue.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Tip well this time, and it wont happen again the next.

interesting... i've never tipped a tailor... is that a standard procedure?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely not too picky...Get it done correctly. A good tailor can be just as important as a good doctor!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Time for a new tailor, IMO.

If he can't get it right in several attempts on the same garment, he either doesn't listen to you or isn't good enough for the job. This isn't bespoke tailoring we're talking about; it's alterations. Now, I'd make an exception if you have an incredibly difficult pair of legs to tailor for. But other than that, this shouldn't be too hard of a job.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
interesting... i've never tipped a tailor... is that a standard procedure?

Yes! Yes, please!
smile.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Time for a new tailor, IMO.

If he can't get it right in several attempts on the same garment, he either doesn't listen to you or isn't good enough for the job. This isn't bespoke tailoring we're talking about; it's alterations. Now, I'd make an exception if you have an incredibly difficult pair of legs to tailor for. But other than that, this shouldn't be too hard of a job.

Yeah, you have a good point. Unfortunately, I've been to 4 of the best (recommended) tailors in town and they've all messed up some of my jobs. I'm not hard to deal with. Crazy stuff...

RE: Tipping, that is interesting. The tailor is more expensive than others, so I wasn't planning on tipping. What do you tip?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads