• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask your shoe repair questions here:

M.Photog

Reaction score
It was suggested that I start a separate thread regarding shoe repair.
Feel free if you have any questions -or- may be seeking advice on shoe/boot repairs.
I'm happy to assist....

Would it be possible to show a few before and after photos of some of your work? I think that might be of benefit to many of us. The quality of your work is well know here however I think it might help us to understand what is possible.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments.
We do a lot of custom work so, if you have a specific question or concept in mind I'm happy to voice my opinion/advice.
I don't want this thread in any way to come off as a solicitation. It's intended to assist even with your local cobblers.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was suggested that I start a separate thread regarding shoe repair.
Feel free if you have any questions -or- may be seeking advice on shoe/boot repairs.
I'm happy to assist....

Nick V.

This thread is a huge asset for the SF community. Thanks for starting it and for taking time to help everyone out! I'll try to direct anyone with shoe repair questions that I come across to this thread.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you Sir--
To give credit where credit is due, it was SF members "DWFII" and later "Dopey" that suggested I started this thread.
None-the-less I'm happy to share my 40+ years and 3rd generation experiences and knowledge with any and all!

bonariri

Reaction score
Nick V.

I recently bought of a pair of penny loafers from Edward Green, and though I have worn 8/8.5 E from them this shoe does not seem to fit me well from the instep which is the vamp area. I assume that the last is even narrower than usual. I was wondering if there is anything either you or I can do to possibly make them wearable. I know this isn't exactly a shoe repair question but perhaps you know a way of stretching them that may help.

cypi2

Reaction score
Nick V.

I recently bought of a pair of penny loafers from Edward Green, and though I have worn 8/8.5 E from them this shoe does not seem to fit me well from the instep which is the vamp area. I assume that the last is even narrower than usual. I was wondering if there is anything either you or I can do to possibly make them wearable. I know this isn't exactly a shoe repair question but perhaps you know a way of stretching them that may help.

With a very high instep, loafers are often problematic for me. I have used vamp stretchers with some degree of success. (See one example around the middle of that page: http://shoeshineexpress.com/stretchers.asp)

bonariri

Reaction score
Loafers are among the most problematic shoes for me as well, though these are the worst ones in terms of fit. I seem to have a higher instep on my right foot or maybe it's a bone spur of some sort. Thank you I'll check that out.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nick V.

Thank you for your question Sir--

Most likely you are correct, it probably is a last issue. My guess is that the other Green's that fit you in the sizes you mentioned are not loafers but, lace-ups.

A competent repair shop should have the necessary bench machines to give you more room by widening the vamp and/or raising the instep.

We call the process "wet lasting". The upper is treated with a solution which makes the leather more pliable. The shoes are put into the machines I mentioned above. The machines have a ratchet type devise which allows you to slowly increase the pressure. The leather should be eased rather than forced. Forcing the leather could cause damage to it by tearing seams and/or distorting the look of the shoe. It creates unnecessary stress on the leather. In our case we always tell the customer if we have to repeat the process a second time we don't charge for it. This way we have the opportunity of easing rather than forcing the leather.

Also, leather has sort of an elastic property. That means if you don't wear the shoe shortly after it is wet lasted the leather will tend to tighten a bit.

What I advise is to wear the shoes as soon as possible. Wear them around the house -or- in the office before you go out for the day wearing them. This addresses two issues.
1. By wearing them you are flexing the fibers of the leather which helps to make the wet lasting process more permanent.
2. If more stretching is needed you will know before you go out for the day wearing them. If you go out for the day and develop a "hot spot" it's sure to cause discomfort that could be avoided.

There is no way to tell how much a shoe can be stretched it's a case-by-case type scenario. Generally I tell customers less than 1/2 size.

bonariri

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Nick. Unfortunately I'm not too sure I'll be able to wear them since it's really hard to put them on my right foot since I have what seems to be a bone spur which tends to make shoes tighter on that foot.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
He's telling you to wear them as soon as possible after they are stretched by your cobbler.

bonariri

Reaction score
Oh I misunderstood, I can probably stop by your shop Nick either tomorrow or Friday after work since it's on my way home.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't spend the money on the toe plates unless you know that you can wear your shoes in comfort. Don't mean to be disrespectful but, no sense in putting extra money into a pair of shoes if there is a possibility you
won't be able to wear them....

bonariri

Reaction score
Don't spend the money on the toe plates unless you know that you can wear your shoes in comfort. Don't mean to be disrespectful but, no sense in putting extra money into a pair of shoes if there is a possibility you
won't be able to wear them....
Yeah you're right, what's the turnaround on the wet lasting process?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads