• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask your shoe repair questions here:

swooc

Reaction score
The issue is that when it's corrected grain it basically is a layer of plastic sprayed on the leather. Usually to hide (split grain) leather that is of inferior quality. So, if you remove that plastic layer you will expose the leater underneath which might be worse than what you have now.

I noticed on the brand's website that these are quite expensive shoes, might returning them be an option since they have issues that should't be there (certainly at this price point)?

Do you have a picture of the shoes by the way, and of thye "bubble" you mention?

ive worn them for several years now with no problems. this just started happening recently. its one of those random unlucky events i guess. ill take a photo later tonight.

if all else fails, ill go the acetone route. i cant wear them anymore with this squeak so might as well treat them as a write off. thanks for the insight though. much appreciated.

rab

Reaction score
Throw some baby powder under the facings and some inside… might work and very low (no) risk.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own some boots where the shaft is too wide for me. What are the options to tighten the shaft from a cobbler's perpective without using add-ons like tongue pads? Will it be possible to deconstruct the shaft and adjust them to be tighter and sew them back together again?

Azhar

Reaction score
Hello, I was thinking of throwing or donating some GYW leather shoes with dainite soles because of heel counter wear and insole cracking but looking at the great quality leather upper it would be a shame..
So I want to repair them myself
Issues:
- Inner counter heel - worn quite a lot, but will use adhesive heel pads or glue a piece of leather and try to stitch it (I need leather piece, glue (what kind?) needles and thread (what kind?)

- The footbead (All leahter insole) was cracked inside so I started pulling it out and it tore in half (I threw the parts away but still have 3/4 of it) Looks like the remaining part of the insole (I can see the shank as well) has a black piece over it in the heal area and then it is nailed down. Also on the heal bed area on top of this leather insole there is black portion where a soft foam material glued on and after it a half sole (know I hear it is called a sock liner) to provide more cushioning ( this half sole I can salvage, it is in good condition)

- Puling the inner soles has resulted in small loss of cork in some areas, I never saw a tutorial of someone filling the missing cork from inside...how can I replace the missing cork?

- The daininte heel is uniformly worn out, I saw I can buy this on ebay but I am not sure How will I be able to nail just the last piece of the heel down?

So... I want to replace the missing cork, replace the inner leather soles (footbead), replace the heal foam and re-use the half inner sole (that had the shoe branding) , then repair the heal counter either by using adhesive heel pads or adding a piece of leather (stitch + glue) and last part, replacing just the last part of the Daininte heel.

Any suggestions for what kind of leather insole to buy please, what to do with the nails in the heel bed area, suggestion for a glue for leather, a cork filler paste (didn't find anything) , needle and thread.

let me know if this is clear, not sure of terminology but really would be sad to see these shoes go to waste especially since they are so comfortable to wear.

Last edited:

florent

Reaction score
Hello, I was thinking of throwing or donating some GYW leather shoes with dainite soles because of heel counter wear and insole cracking but looking at the great quality leather upper it would be a shame..
So I want to repair them myself
Issues:
- Inner counter heel - worn quite a lot, but will use adhesive heel pads or glue a piece of leather and try to stitch it (I need leather piece, glue (what kind?) needles and thread (what kind?)

- The footbead (All leahter insole) was cracked inside so I started pulling it out and it tore in half (I threw the parts away but still have 3/4 of it) Looks like the remaining part of the insole (I can see the shank as well) has a black piece over it in the heal area and then it is nailed down. Also on the heal bed area on top of this leather insole there is black portion where a soft foam material glued on and after it a half sole (know I hear it is called a sock liner) to provide more cushioning ( this half sole I can salvage, it is in good condition)

- Puling the inner soles has resulted in small loss of cork in some areas, I never saw a tutorial of someone filling the missing cork from inside...how can I replace the missing cork?

- The daininte heel is uniformly worn out, I saw I can buy this on ebay but I am not sure How will I be able to nail just the last piece of the heel down?

So... I want to replace the missing cork, replace the inner leather soles (footbead), replace the heal foam and re-use the half inner sole (that had the shoe branding) , then repair the heal counter either by using adhesive heel pads or adding a piece of leather (stitch + glue) and last part, replacing just the last part of the Daininte heel.

Any suggestions for what kind of leather insole to buy please, what to do with the nails in the heel bed area, suggestion for a glue for leather, a cork filler paste (didn't find anything) , needle and thread.

let me know if this is clear, not sure of terminology but really would be sad to see these shoes go to waste especially since they are so comfortable to wear.
Tbh, this is all very confusing, do you have pictures?
If you actually removed (part of) the insole and can see the cork from inside your shoes are probably beyond repair, unless you're willing to drop a lot of cash to a very good repair shop to have them completely rebuilt.

Azhar

Reaction score
Tbh, this is all very confusing, do you have pictures?
If you actually removed (part of) the insole and can see the cork from inside your shoes are probably beyond repair, unless you're willing to drop a lot of cash to a very good repair shop to have them completely rebuilt.

I want to what this man did in the first part without resoling:
Going to snap some pictures. Everyone says replace your insoles but no one really does it unless they resole...

florent

Reaction score
I want to what this man did in the first part without resoling:
Going to snap some pictures. Everyone says replace your insoles but no one really does it unless they resole...

Insoles are not really meant to be replaced, this is not a repair you should try as a beginner. If you're interested in learning shoerepair, start with something easier like changing heel top pieces.

Azhar

Reaction score
time to bin them? even if the uppers are in great condition? The insoles were cracked and had no life in them, and hurt my feet when walking, pulled them and they ripped like cardboard insoles.

I have another pair that starts to show signs of insole wear (is rough to touch, starts to be patchy) what should I do with that one to prevent it from cracking?

Attachments

• 2022-03-02 22.03.56.jpg
    2022-03-02 22.03.56.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 2022-03-02 22.04.51.jpg
    2022-03-02 22.04.51.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 2022-03-02 22.06.13.jpg
    2022-03-02 22.06.13.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 2022-03-02 22.12.42.jpg
    2022-03-02 22.12.42.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2022-03-02 22.16.17.jpg
    2022-03-02 22.16.17.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2022-03-02 22.16.38.jpg
    2022-03-02 22.16.38.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 105

hrv123

Reaction score
Any hope for these Dovers? Not sure how the leather began cracking. Used Edward green trees always. Shoes worn once every couple of weeks in nice weather. Conditioned here and there.

Attachments

• B998DADE-7C2A-4DDE-8598-85510DD75834.jpeg
    B998DADE-7C2A-4DDE-8598-85510DD75834.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 81
  • C6A0016C-7E43-4682-B366-A49AA8E2998C.jpeg
    C6A0016C-7E43-4682-B366-A49AA8E2998C.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 83
  • C59223D2-24F6-435B-B6ED-2D7D749FB3BC.jpeg
    C59223D2-24F6-435B-B6ED-2D7D749FB3BC.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 76
  • CCDA94CC-2DF1-4446-A521-FEC7FB9E4C17.jpeg
    CCDA94CC-2DF1-4446-A521-FEC7FB9E4C17.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 76
  • F78D9451-A06F-4B59-AFAC-A6DD4A331FD9.jpeg
    F78D9451-A06F-4B59-AFAC-A6DD4A331FD9.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 5287B78C-9D10-4493-9B31-E58BCAFEFDFE.jpeg
    5287B78C-9D10-4493-9B31-E58BCAFEFDFE.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 20DDB87D-6DAB-41AB-AE63-CC973C02E6F9.jpeg
    20DDB87D-6DAB-41AB-AE63-CC973C02E6F9.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

fastlanedude

Reaction score
I have a used pair of black AE Park Ave size 9d and they need resoled. But I noticed the right shoe lining around the little toe area has a hole in it. Would I be better served to buy a new or better pair? Or is this something that is repairable?

florent

Reaction score
I have a used pair of black AE Park Ave size 9d and they need resoled. But I noticed the right shoe lining around the little toe area has a hole in it. Would I be better served to buy a new or better pair? Or is this something that is repairable?
A cobbler can cement a leather patch over the worn out area. Not a very durable repair but it can still extend the life of the shoes for some time

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A cobbler can cement a leather patch over the worn out area. Not a very durable repair but it can still extend the life of the shoes for some time
True, if done properly the edges of the patch are thinned out to near zero. It’s done with thin leather. Kid is a good skin to use. You won’t feel the patch and it should last at least the life of a set of new soles. Very possibly beyond.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Any chance someone here has a source for Vibram 7106 gum crepe sheets in 4mm and 6mm thick in Brown? I can't find a way to buy it anywhere, but maybe someone here can and resell to me?

paxonus

Reaction score
I have a shoe that has developed a clicking noise. It happens in mid-step as soon as I lift my heel.

brishook1

Reaction score
It was suggested that I start a separate thread regarding shoe repair.
Feel free if you have any questions -or- may be seeking advice on shoe/boot repairs.
I'm happy to assist....

I have a decent pair of Johnston & Murphy dress shoes, but the inside heel has torn and is pealing. Is there any kind of DIY repair I can do on these? See photo.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 95

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads