1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me any car question - the Car Guru

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Cedric, Jan 10, 2012.

1. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

My moms 2007 VW GLI DSG (I been driving it allot lately, when I really need a car) has 114,xxx miles. Transmission rebuilt at 103,000 miles and reverse is going out currently (But I think they did a shitty job, still transmission died at 103,000 miles is young). A/C Compressor died at 68,000 miles, months after she bought it. Head and brake lights always burning out. Key Fobs works on and off... Airbag light currently on. Headliner is falling off and paint peeling...All maintenance done by dealer (accept rebuild of transmission) and washed weekly, waxed every 6 months.

My step-fathers 2010 VW CC M6 30,xxx miles. No mechanical problems, just minor issues. Such as plastic peace between rear window and trunk cracked (Recall) and small plastic square cover in rear bumper keeps popping out.

As nice as VW looks, feels, and drives... I question how long they will truly last. I hope the GLI is just a lemon.

~Kurt

2. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

That sounds like lemon for sure. i suppose the warranty has expired?

3. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Yep, extended warranty expired not long before the transmission went out. The reverse gear is in and out on the rebuild. But that's under warranty.

~Kurt

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

This crossed my mind. Fortunately the check engine light went away for now so I'm not going to worry about it in the mean time. If it comes up again, I'll check with my family mechanic - unfortunately he's not located in the city.

5. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

ok car guru - i am looking at picking up a beater on saturday
    i am looking at a 2006 civic si and i met the owner (car enthusiast) and test drove it
    it drove great and engine was maintained to enthusiast standards...
    but obviously i am concerned with things beyond the surface of the car...
    how do i do so?
    rust?
    collision?
    owner claims its not been hit before but i would like to cover my bases
    everything in the car seems to be working
    i leased the same 8th gen civic si before (for a year) so i kind of know how the car should drive

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Isn't it a no brainier to have the car checked out by a mechanic?

7. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

check body panels for gaps. check carfax.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

"civic" and "car enthusiast owned" are typically bad news if you find both terms in a single sentence. any idiotic bolt on mods present, or evidence that any were removed?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  9. trudyc

trudyc New Member

I have a 1996 chevy lumina and I can drive it no matter how far 1 mile or 10 miles but when I shut it off it won't start for 5 to 10 min then it will run great. I changed the throttle position senser but didn't help it. Got any ideas what it could be

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  10. trudyc

trudyc New Member

still waiting on an anwser can you help me with this please what's going on I can't seem to get an awnser from you am I doin something wrong just wondering cause I haven't heard from you

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The thread is kind of a joke for the Forum regulars, trudyc, as this is, you may (or may not) have noticed, a clothing forum by and large. That said, similar symptoms are sometimes caused by vapor lock in the fuel system because of faulty emissions components. I don't know the lumina well enough to tell.

~ H

12. trudyc

trudyc New Member

What is all these people asking about cars ???? I thought it was the car guru what happen I see everone saying things about there cars????