1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me any car question - the Car Guru

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Cedric, Jan 10, 2012.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

this guy seems to have already done it. i just dont like the back end on the notchbacks and the other hard tops are hard to come by. since the trunk is going to house the batteries something with back seats would be nicer

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

that car looks awesome. I bet it'd cost about $50K or more to do something like that, but 100 miles and 95mph is no joke.

Get some fake Rudge wheels for it :devil:

3. impolyt_one

this would be awesome. Bit of money if you want to make it electric, but would be the coolest electric car out there:

http://www.rennsportreplicas.com/acoupe/

[​IMG]

damn, I really want to make one of these now too... I've read that importing electric cars to different countries can be done with fewer hassles...

4. impolyt_one

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i like the back on the last one you listed.

that is one fine car.

tesla's model s is coming out soon. i think i by the time i'm ready to do an ev conversion it'll be easier to just get one of those, but converting one sounds fun

6. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I say a low mile C5 Zo6, but a new Miata is in that price range. C5 Convertibles. I like the Z4, but it's a car I'd buy for my BF not for myself (I don't know why I always felt that about BMW Z cars). S2K is probably on top of my list for reliable daily driver roadsters with excitement. But I would probably go with a mint Triumph TR6 with A/C. I seem to have better luck with classic cars as daily driver for some odd reason.

~Kurt

7. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Z06's were never convertible
    C5 convertibles are decent cars, but flip up headlights are so 80's!

Low maintenance and german cars do not go in the same sentence.
    Nissan 350Z roadster, S2000 are great cars.
    Miatas are for chicks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Pretty obvious that a C5 Z06 and all Zo6's are hardtops, but still a car I recommend for low 20's. It's great sports car for the money... C6 Convertibles may be out of his price range, but C5's are still nice cars. Regular C5's, with the Targa top can and maybe even Z51 can be had for high teens with low miles.

The Miata is far from a chick car, it's still a true sports car. A little under powered in stock form, but nothing a cheap super/turbo charge can't fix. Some even throw in LSx motors.

~Kurt

9. impolyt_one

I was just out smoking on my balcony and this definitively late 70's/early 80's Italian car came burbling by down on the street - only got a top view of it really - I thought it was Fiat X19, but had a slightly squared off front with fixed lights I think, and then long flying buttress C-pillars that went all the way to the tail. It was not a large car, and didn't really size out to be 70's/80's supercar level, merely a smaller sports car with unique styling. What car was this? It was white with a significant amount of black trimwork on it. Lancia?

edit - haha, found my answer on google in 2 searches flat. It was a Lancia Scorpion:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  10. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

my gf has a Lancia Fiasco 1.6TDi . It suits her temperament. I believe it has a little of the Scorpion heritage.

11. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Car Guru,

With my new job I will be traveling a lot. Right now I have a truck, and I am looking to buy a car to save money. My friend who works at a dealership told me I need to be looking to cars like Accords, Civics, Corollas, and/or Camrys. Are there any others you can think of?

Also my budget is $3000-6000, Looking for a 4 Door, Automatic, with preferably less than 100,000 miles on it

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CP

12. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Hey sorry, for the late response.
    You have a truck, i suppose you haul stuff at your job?
    If not, go for a used Jetta or Passat TDI.
    Dont be afraid of one with over 100k miles. 100k in those cars is like having 25k miles in any other car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

This is a nice troll... I can't believe it got to 3 pages+.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Check engine light on my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant came on. Mechanic at the nearby gas station said it'd cost $675 to replace the catalytic converter. Does this make any sense? I looked online for 3rd party replacement CC's and found some for as low as $85. Am I being screwed?

15. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Third-party cats are notorious for poor quality that results in rapid failure as reported by either the O2 sensor or emissions testing. Unless you are certain that it is a quality product, I would stay away from them. Although it is illegal in some states (for really stupid reasons), I would look for a cat out of a wrecked or otherwise salvaged Galant with lower mileage.

16. NTexican

NTexican Member

''That's a BS question. Chevy didn't make a 327 with a four-barrel carb for the Bel Air in 1955....blah, blah.....12 degrees before top dead center.''

17. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

you are being screwed royally.
    Dont deal with that mechanic

18. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

@carguru

My car occasionally makes a funny sound after turning off the air conditioning. It sounds like a whining sound that gets louder and higher pitched as engine revs get higher. It goes away if i turn the air conditioning back on, or if i drive for a while without the air conditioning on. WHAT DOES IT MEAN AND WHY IS IT SO ANNOYING.

if it matters my car is a 2010 vw golf

19. impolyt_one

Might just need to lube your A/C compressor belt

20. sonick

sonick Senior member

Just how rampant are VW electrical issues in mid/late 90s, early 2000s dubbers? They seem like a good fit in terms of what I'm looking for, but the electrical issues just scare me off.