1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Me About Magic

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

On top of being great magicians, Penn and Teller are EPIC WIN in my book for:
    1) Being skeptics/Csicops
    2) Bullshit the show.

James Randi FTW!!!!

Although I have yet to watch Bullshit. Must do this soon.

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

James Randi FTW!!!!

yup! One of the people I admire greatly.

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Skepticism and magic are closely related, thanks in large part to James Randi. I proudly place myself in his camp - I think there may be something about practicing deception that allows one to see it elsewhere more easily. (We do have a highly unfortunate brand of performer known as the gospel magician, but they alwas get snubbed at conventions) Randi is also a great performer - I really hope to make it out to an Amazing Meeting. Bullshit is really entertaining and you can watch it online for free if you have Netflix. They are also frequent guests at the Amazing Meeting.

4. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Didn't read the first 4 pages but can David Copperfield really fly?

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Didn't read the first 4 pages but can David Copperfield really fly?

Absolutely.

(He's currently in negotiations with the pentagon to weaponize this technology - Iraqi insurgents won't be able to touch magic flying soldiers.)

6. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I was lucky enough to do a sort of meet and greet with Teller just prior to the premier of his Macbeth at the Folgers in DC, .

At any time did you or others refer to this meeting as Magic: the gathering?

7. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Are you a good with or a bad witch?

8. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

CSNY225 (11:17:57 PM): i wNT magican to send me back in time
    CSNY225 (11:18:01 PM): to see angie in sweeney and gypsy
    CHINSUMO (11:18:07 PM): hahahahah
    CHINSUMO (11:18:16 PM): i hope you end up in the jurassic period
    CSNY225 (11:18:17 PM): i want to be ridiculed
    CHINSUMO (11:18:18 PM): that should sober your ass up

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

CSNY225 (11:17:57 PM): i wNT magican to send me back in time CSNY225 (11:18:01 PM): to see angie in sweeney and gypsy CHINSUMO (11:18:07 PM): hahahahah CHINSUMO (11:18:16 PM): i hope you end up in the jurassic period CSNY225 (11:18:17 PM): i want to be ridiculed CHINSUMO (11:18:18 PM): that should sober your ass up
    No luck! i hust poured another gin and tonicso that didn't work.

10. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

No luck! i hust poured another gin and tonicso that didn't work.

Click your heels dorothy.

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Click your heels dorothy.
    You mean Dolores? "I'm still heeeeeere"

12. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

You mean Dolores?

"I'm still heeeeeere"

And still queer. See you at the pride parade.

13. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

CSNY225 (11:37:59 PM): is it weird thatt when i spilled a drop or so of gin i lickedu it off of the counter?
    CHINSUMO (11:38:25 PM): no, its you
    CHINSUMO (11:38:29 PM): so its not weird, its expected

14. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Do magicians get angry when you get the type of audience member who just has to know how it's done or tries to watch for the "secrets"? Would you rather not perform for those people?

15. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm just beginning to read "Hiding the Elephant" by Steinmeyer. What do you think of the book and what do you think of David Blaine?

16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

1. What do you wear when you preform?

2. Do you consider David Blane a magician anymore?

17. Nouveau Pauvre

At any time did you or others refer to this meeting as Magic: the gathering?
    Well played sir.
    Are you a good with or a bad witch?
    [​IMG]
    CSNY225 (11:17:57 PM): i wNT magican to send me back in time
    Still working on it. Right now the closest thing to time travel I have is to talk about music with someone like Thomas.
    Do magicians get angry when you get the type of audience member who just has to know how it's done or tries to watch for the "secrets"? Would you rather not perform for those people?
    This has been a definite challenge, especially earlier in my career. It took me a while to learn this: but these people do not mean trouble, often it is just there personality. I'm pretty good at dealing with them now and generally start with some ironclad foolers to set the tone before I perform any more whimsical material. I don't mind performing for these people at all- often they help keep me honest and I doubt I would be at the level I am know if it wasn't for dealing with tough crowds.

18. Nouveau Pauvre

I'm just beginning to read "Hiding the Elephant" by Steinmeyer. What do you think of the book and what do you think of David Blaine?
    Steinmeyer is excellent - I actually recommend him on the first page. Even someone with no real knowledge or interest in magic would find his books fascinating. It may intrigue people to know he is the creator of a lot of what people like Copperfield and Criss Angel perform. I'll get to Blaine later.
    1. What do you wear when you preform? 2. Do you consider David Blane a magician anymore?
    My outfit changes a lot, but recently I've been wearing a black Paul Smith blazer with a white Valentino oxford, some slim H&M charcoal trousers and suede black Bally loafers. I usually also wear Zegna pocketsquares with some sort of bold print. Blaine is an interesting subject. I have a lot of respect for him. He genuinely came up from nothing and worked his ass off at something he loved till he became world famous at it. If that's not a sucess story I don't know what is. When it comes to magic I think he has created a unique character that suits him perfectly. It may not quite be my cup of tea but he brought a gritty, urban aesthetic to the art that seemed genuine. I find magic often lags behind the cultural zeitgeist - so Blaine performing in that style really helped magic became more relevant. What he does now is not really magic but I definitely still consider him a magician. It's almost analogous to a conceptualist artist. Jeff Koons is doing some things that just barely qualify as art, but he is still an artist.

19. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

What do you think about the Graff deck on Ellusionist? Is it a good way to start? I already have some decks like the Dekram, Invisible, Svengali (?).

20. Kas

Kas Senior member

How do you beat The Deck in T1?

Back when keeper was still relevant, sligh would stand a good chance against a general version. But that's like, 10 years ago.

Magician: are there any videos of you online?