1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask Me About Magic

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Distinguished Member

China, right?
    2009 in Beijing is still on. It was 2008 in Bulgaria that ended up being canceled - it was a bit of a scandal for the board.
    Do you perform in DC?
    My only current weekly gig is for Clyde's of Columbia (in the MD suburbs) though I perform throughout the area. I was at the Red Rock Canyon Grill in Silver Spring for some time. I'm also talking to the Comedy Mystery Society in Gaithersburg/ Kentlands about performing there.
    Do you use magic tricks to attract women like Mystery? [​IMG]
    This is a rather sensitive subject I could write a huge amount on. Do I find Mystery and his ilk incredibly tasteless? yes. Does this mean what he does doesn't work depressingly well? no. Have I had surprising personal success in this area? yes.

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Did Magic's unwillingness to stay retired ultimately diminish his legacy?

Not surprisingly as a magician I know almost nothing about baseball.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

This is a rather sensitive subject I could write a huge amount on.

Do I find Mystery and his ilk incredibly tasteless? yes.
    Have I had surprising personal success in this area? yes.

You must have used it. Your gf seemed prettay hot.
    Not surprisingly as a magician I know almost nothing about baseball.

ROFL!! Basketball.

4. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

Did you ever do your assistants back stage?

5. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Distinguished Member

What one trick (if I were to learn just one) works best with the ladies?

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Did you ever do your assistants back stage?

I prefer the trapdoor. Just don't ask about the vanishing wand.

7. Nouveau Pauvre

What one trick (if I were to learn just one) works best with the ladies?
    Something cute that involves plenty of tactile contact. Many self styled magic pick up artists would use these. (and I would agree)

8. garmentmerchant

garmentmerchant Senior Member

You perform at Clydes in columbia I go there from time to time. used to work right over in jessup

9. Nouveau Pauvre

You perform at Clydes in columbia I go there from time to time. used to work right over in jessup

Cool, yeah. I'm right in that area. I'm there every Friday night as long as I don't have a conflicting performance. Just let me know in advance when you're coming by so I can say hi.

10. garmentmerchant

Will do. Where did you learn the skill? or is it just one of those things you did in your spare time. I knew a kid in elementary school who was really good, He amazed us all when he made his sister disappear in a class talent show.

11. humza

humza Senior Member

Since Magician is in Washington D.C, do you do any shows or anything like that? I wouldn't mind seeing a magic show...haven't been to one in a very, very long time.

12. Nouveau Pauvre

Will do. Where did you learn the skill? or is it just one of those things you did in your spare time. I knew a kid in elementary school who was really good, He amazed us all when he made his sister disappear in a class talent show.
    I've been doing it ever since I was young - 5th grade I think. I was kind of one those melodramatic youths as a young kid so that probably contributed. I'm largely self taught from books and videotapes, but I've had some help from more established magicians in the area. It's something I love and I'm quite proud of my progress in. If you add it all up and take an average I've probably put in at least an hour of practice a day for the last several years. (There was of course the requisite lull when I discovered girls, rock 'n roll etc.) You're in Annapolis right? I performed for the Annapolis New Years/ First Night thing last year and am hoping to do it again this year - it was a great gig.
    Since Magician is in Washington D.C, do you do any shows or anything like that? I wouldn't mind seeing a magic show...haven't been to one in a very, very long time.
    See my earlier post about this at the top of this page. I don't do too many public gigs now but have some odds and ends in the works, I'll definitely keep everyone posted. Of course I will be performing at the grand opening of Farinelli's.

13. garmentmerchant

Killer. Yes i am in Annapolis. I never went to the new years events down here I need to get out more . Do you have a particular specialty cards, coins, illusions ...

14. Nouveau Pauvre

I cut my teeth as a close-up sleight-of hand performer (Which is what I do at the restaurant every weekend) but now I am focusing more on my stage act (which i'm beginning to get more bookings for) which has a big emphasis on mindreading and hypnotic technique.

Still cards are my first love and some of my strongest material is with 52 pasteboards.

15. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

Nope. Like most magicians, Harry Potter goes right through high school a virgin while harboring a borderline unhealthy attraction for petite Asian girls.

And then posts photos about those petite Asian girls incessantly in SF. Wait, no that is . . . .