1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Me About Magic

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Sep 18, 2008.

1. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

I remember watching David Copperfield doing his version of the Dream of Aces trick and being amazed at how easy he made it seem. Realistically, how hard would it be for someone with no experience to do that? Here's the video I'm talking about, trick starts at around the 0:57 mark.

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I remember watching David Copperfield doing his version of the Dream of Aces trick and being amazed at how easy he made it seem. Realistically, how hard would it be for someone with no experience to do that? Here's the video I'm talking about, trick starts at around the 0:57 mark.
    That displays a pretty high level of sleight-of-hand proficiency. Copperfield's consultant in these manners, Chris Kenner is very accomplished. Definitely not for a beginner. The basic effect is entitled "MacDonald's Aces" and should be available for purchase at most magic shops, it is not how Copperfield performed it, though.

3. Homme

Homme Senior member

Neat trick and cool video.

Do you play pipe organ music when you do shows Magician ?

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

how does david blane walk on water?

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

How did you do all those tricks you showed me today??

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

^ Haha, that is literally one of the hardest possible things; a product of decades of study and practice.

While I have studied sleight-of-hand extensively, and can accomplish many of those things I am not even close to the unforced elegance and raw mastery that Ricky Jay displays with a pack of cards. He was a student of the 20th century Master Dai Vernon, and is an expert on gambling, scams and cons, as well as an accomplished historian of magic; he also holds several Guinness records. Ricky Jay has had an ongoing collaboration with David Mamet and frequently performs or consults for movies and television where magic is present.

If anyone has a chance to see his touring show it is well worth it, one of the best magic shows there is.

(PM me if you are seriously interested in sleight of hand. A good starting place is Roberto Giobbi's Card College Light, or the venerable classic Hugard and Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic.)

Ricky Jay is awesome in House of games, really fits the con mood that fascinates Mamet.

7. Nouveau Pauvre

Neat trick and cool video. Do you play pipe organ music when you do shows Magician ?
    Nope. Just "Final Countdown."
    how does david blane walk on water?
    Invisible stilts.
    How did you do all those tricks you showed me today??
    Haha, I will trade secrets for clothes....

8. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Have you ever done the trick Blaine does by swallowing a piece of thread from "someone's" jacket, then pulling it out of your stomach?

I have. I actually learned that one trick and performed it for a small crowd on halloween in Hollywood a few years back. It was a rush. I'm not a magician I just went through a phase of studying some magic tricks at one point.

Took forever to track down the book that has the trick in it, along with a bunch of other insane (and dangerous) tricks.

9. Nouveau Pauvre

Have you ever done the trick Blaine does by swallowing a piece of thread from "someone's" jacket, then pulling it out of your stomach?

I have. I actually learned that one trick and performed it for a small crowd on halloween in Hollywood a few years back. It was a rush. I'm not a magician I just went through a phase of studying some magic tricks at one point.

Took forever to track down the book that has the trick in it, along with a bunch of other insane (and dangerous) tricks.

I have not as a matter of fact. I understand Blaine always get very strong reactions with it (Despite everything, I am still a pretty huge Blaine fan)

It wasn't the David Ben book was it?

It's wonderful that you had that performing experience. One of my favorite things about magic is you can be focused on all kinds of other things (school, day job etc.) and still bust something out at a party and get that "rush."

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

^You should do some freaky Derren Brown trick for a group of hostesses after a show. See what they think. Will they scream? Run? Or will they love it?

11. Nouveau Pauvre

^You should do some freaky Derren Brown trick for a group of hostesses after a show. See what they think. Will they scream? Run? Or will they love it?

hahahaha, you're a sweetheart Kyle.

In other news: I am very excited that I may be doing some radio magic (a la Dunninger) on the Washington D.C. NPR affiliate.

12. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

I have not as a matter of fact. I understand Blaine always get very strong reactions with it (Despite everything, I am still a pretty huge Blaine fan)

It wasn't the David Ben book was it?

No it wasn't. Info PM'd.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

late reply but invisible stilts? how are there women swimming underneath him. and he starts by walking on land.

14. alan

alan Senior member

do you play poker?

15. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

late reply but invisible stilts? how are there women swimming underneath him. and he starts by walking on land.

I have no idea if this is true but I heard when Criss Angel walked on water (over a swimming pool), he was actually walking on a glass walkway and that the people they showed around him were all in on the trick.

16. Nouveau Pauvre

I will be performing at the American Legion Inaugural Gala on Tuesday, January 20th.

I believe this is the first one Obama will attend.

(I will be performing at a presidential gala possibly for the NEXT MUH-FUCKING PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hella sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!all DC people should come)

17. wiscogooner

wiscogooner Senior member

18. Nouveau Pauvre

Video is 100% accurate.

19. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    I will be performing at the American Legion Inaugural Gala on Tuesday, January 20th.

I believe this is the first one Obama will attend.

(I will be performing at a presidential gala possibly for the NEXT MUH-FUCKING PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hella sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!all DC people should come)

Can you get me tickets? Depending on the time, I might be able to stop by.

Hey, speaking of magic to pick up women (we could rename this thread), can you show me how to do this...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

20. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC