• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are tons of threads about eyewear, sunglasses and contact lenses. It is hard to sort through them to find answers and they are usually questions that need a 1 sentance answer. I figure eyewear is what I know best so if you have a quick question, post it here and I can respond. If you want the opinion of SF, make another thread. Let the questions begin... If someone else knows the answer, feel free to post too! *please understand that I am not a super guru and sometimes I might not know the answer*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ
I formulated a FAQ section for all the questions that are asked over and over again.

1. What's the difference between Photochromatic and Tansitions?
-Photochromatic is the type of lens, Transition is a brand of lens. A simple comparison would be Kleenex. Kleenex is a brand, facial tissue is what it is.

2. Why don't you like polycarbonate?
The optics are terrible with an abbe value of 30 (CR39 having the best optics with the abbe value of 59). The material scratches very easily compared to other materials. The lens flex quite a bit making it warp easily. The only good thing is that it durable and won't break easily, but Trivex is just as break resistant.

3. What is Trivex?
-Trivex is a material that is superior to polycarbonate. It's index is 1.53 so it is quite thick but the optics out of the lens is superior to poly. As well, it is much more scratch resistant than poly. Poly has an abbe value of 44

4. What is the color crystal?
-Clear. We call it crystal as opposed to clear.

5. What are some frames that have a good bang for the buck?
-As of Jan 2012, I feel that Kio Yamato, O&X, Urband, Cheap Monday, MODO, Spectacle Eyeworks, Prodesign and Lightec are all brands that provide good bang for the buck.

6. What is a good brand of frames for under $200 retail?

7. You're a terrible writer.
-I don't write to entertain, I write inform.

8. Who are Luxottica and Safilo. What is their quality like?
LUX and SAF are probably the 2 biggest frame manufacture/distributor/retailers in the optical industry. Together they have licenses to Gucci, Armani, Versace, Persol, Rayban, Boss, Chanel, Prada, Bvlgary, Tommy Hilfiger, Brooks Brothers and the list goes on. In terms of quality, they are the average frame. The quality is fair and some of their lines have great styles BUT you are basically paying for the name. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on them, just giving an honest opinion.

9. How are frames from Prada, Boss, Gucci...?
-Most large name brands are produced by 3 large companies (Luxottica, Safilo, Marchon). The quality is pretty standard. The frames are made in Italy and China. The quality is fair and what I mean by that is that most are not sturdy, but they will last you a long time with good care.

10. What is B&M? How do I pick a good B&M store?

11. What website is legit to buy glasses from?

12. What company makes good asian fit plastic frames with nose pads?
-Adidas and Nike (but they look hideous), Prodesign, Danish Design, O&X and MODO and Kio Yamato (no nose pads but they fit well), Gucci for women and Bvlgari for women. I'm sure there are many more but those are just the ones off the top of my head.
Wow. Just realized that this thread has gone over 10yrs!

styleforumfan

Reaction score
They're great. Looks like something from Oliver goldsmith would mimic that well

Curry & Paxton is the original.

https://therake.com/curry-and-paxton-dark-brown-tortoiseshell-yvan-glasses.html

RAKECODE007731-3.jpg

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Where can I buy JMM online these days with possibility of free easy return? Mr P no longer carries any for some strange reason.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy JMM online these days with possibility of free easy return? Mr P no longer carries any for some strange reason.
For that price tag, personally, I would consider going into a retailer, enjoying the process and service and purchasing it from a store.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who manufactures the JMM frames, and any other companies they work with?

I can’t remember the exact manufacturer but if you’re interested in that style, check out Lunetterie Generale. It’s a Canadian label that is made in Japan. Or Native Sons.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they sold out a long time ago.

They were re-released a couple years ago. Not sure if they are still made but you can find some for sale online:

Doktor Corn

Reaction score
I'm really digging this pair of Thom Browne flip-up sunglasses, but at $1000 I have to ask if there's anything similar from another company for comparison.

Thom Browne Silver & Black Iron Sunglasses

I would be putting in clear prescription lenses behind them. I've looked at probably 100 different websites over the last week and the most appealing I've seen have been from Jacques Marie Mages and Leisure Society, but nothing quite as unique as the Thom Brownes.

Also for background I just bought a pair of Oliver Peoples Cary Grants (Luxxotica, I know) and a similar pair of Yellows Plus Leons to turn into sunglasses.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Doktor Corn not sure if you'll like the styles but Garrett Leight has a bunch of flip up sunglasses. Look at the glasses first then see if they have the clip on sunglasses part. (not all do)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads