• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

MrNestor

Reaction score
I've had a cheap pair of Specsavers frames for a while and been mostly happy even though I didn't add any sort of extra treatment to the lenses. Been experiencing that they've gotten dirty fairly easy though and not been supereasy to clean. My dog have now chewed on them and I guess it's time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking of using my old pair of Moscot Lemtosh sunglasses as primary glasses, Specsavers can insert normal lenses for 50 euros. Is this something you would recommend doing or what advice do you have?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a cheap pair of Specsavers frames for a while and been mostly happy even though I didn't add any sort of extra treatment to the lenses. Been experiencing that they've gotten dirty fairly easy though and not been supereasy to clean. My dog have now chewed on them and I guess it's time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking of using my old pair of Moscot Lemtosh sunglasses as primary glasses, Specsavers can insert normal lenses for 50 euros. Is this something you would recommend doing or what advice do you have?

As long as your frame is in good condition, you should be fine but keep in mind that as plastic gets older it becomes more brittle. For 50 euros, for a thin lens with anti reflection coating, that’s fair.

MrNestor

Reaction score
As long as your frame is in good condition, you should be fine but keep in mind that as plastic gets older it becomes more brittle. For 50 euros, for a thin lens with anti reflection coating, that’s fair.

I think that I will only get their cheapest lens with no extras for 50 euros.
Would you recommend anti reflection or durability coating or something else for them? And would even Specsavers lens be something to go for?
I realize it might be skewed to use a cheap lens for a 300 euro frame, but you know being a student and all...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that I will only get their cheapest lens with no extras for 50 euros.
Would you recommend anti reflection or durability coating or something else for them? And would even Specsavers lens be something to go for?
I realize it might be skewed to use a cheap lens for a 300 euro frame, but you know being a student and all...
Anti reflection is a must. Without it, it looks distasteful. End of story.

MrNestor

Reaction score
Anti reflection is a must. Without it, it looks distasteful. End of story.

Thank you. This is exactly what I want to hear.

Any advice on the clip-ons for Lemtosh (Cliptosh)? Better to have a separate pair of shades?

jfclarky

Reaction score
Feel in love with this brand a few years ago and have been buying the same pair of frames in different colors since. Not that I want to see a lot of people walking around in the same pair as me but the brand is called Sabin Be. I wear the Be Swag model, which isn't the most idea name for this color. IMG-4290.JPG

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't AR also much better for your eyes and visibility? Especially when driving or using comps

Yes. Without antireflection coating you will see starbursts around lights which is very distracting, even if you’re not sensitive to light. Also, when people look at you, it looks ridiculous without it. It looks cheap and unprofessional. Anti-reflection coating should and is basic in any reputable Optical. If anti-reflection coating is an option, you’re already getting ripped off.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. This is exactly what I want to hear.

Any advice on the clip-ons for Lemtosh (Cliptosh)? Better to have a separate pair of shades?

Clip-on have their pros and cons. On one hand, they are convenient and relatively inexpensive (compared to a whole new set). On the other hand, depending on the frame that it is going onto, sometimes it looks terrible and can add significant weight. Having a dedicated set of prescription sunglasses is a great choice, but you also have to keep in mind that you need to carry it with you everywhere that you go.

With that said, there is no “1 set” of glasses that will be your solution to everything. In theory, clear lenses, transitions and polarized sunglasses all have their respective place in ones life. A dedicated distance, reading, computer distance, progressive and occupational progressive also have their respective pros.

Basically, what I’m saying is that trying to solve your vision problems with 1 set of glasses is like having 1 suit in the closet. Sure it can work, but why make it work when you have options.

styleforumfan

Reaction score

applegingerale

Reaction score
Black-ish to Crystal fade (Warby Parker Burke)... would these work for a mid-40s male with greying hair? (As a secondary pair, just for variety). I love the retro look, but my hair color is roughly 2/3 black and 1/3 grey at this point. It's more grey than I ought to have and don't want the crystal to age me even more. Any thoughts?

The first photo is the frame I'm considering and the second was the inspiration--Dr. DeBryn from Endeavour, with its 60s style. I prefer the the Warby Parker's square look to the cat eye.
warby-parker-burke-203-tennessee-whiskey-frame-51-19-145-eyeglasses-40934cf14a2a9b9d5b59e1e455a1447c.jpg

94062.jpg

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations with similar eye shape and measurements to the three below. They're the best I can find after weeks of searching.

1. L.A. Eyeworks Meltdown. Good fit but I'm scared the yellow will be too loud. Also not sure about the thick top part, looks a little old fashioned. 51/20/145

13101_lae_meltdown_928_f.jpg

2. Masunaga x Kenzo Rigel. These also fit well but I don't like the shape as much, would prefer a larger lense. They start at $700 which I can't justify for frames. 49/22/140

RIGEL_19.JPG

3. Oliver Peoples OP-506. The lense shape is perfect, but the metallic bridge and the bolts next to it draw too much attention. They also don't come in black or clear. The fade looks weird.

oliver-peoples-eyeglasses-oliver-peoples-op-506-gray-designer-eyes-827934404526.jpg

Mtheduke

Reaction score
Moscot miltzen or Moscot period - they actually just came out with some new merch that looks really stunning

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads