• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1128227

On my second pair of Masunaga. First pair was more Clark Kent. Had these made up as readers. Very light frames.
If those are your prescription lenses, please consider getting new lenses with anti reflection coating. It will look much sharper.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hunting for a new pair of glasses after about five years of wearing the same O&Xs recommended by this thread. I've been able to find two stores near Boston that carry between them Lafont, Mykita, Masunaga, JMM, Dita, Kio. What are some other, preferably Japanese brands I should look at? Do Japanese frames fit Asian features better or does it depend on specifics? Lastly, what should I be looking for in terms of lenses? My insurance has different co-pays for lense options like coating, etc, and I'm not sure what any of it means.
Kio Yamato and Matsuda are good contenders too. As far as the lenses, you should get whatever your budget allows. A cheap set of lenses can destroy the image of a well crafted frame.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion on photochromic sunglasses? Do they not work that well in real life?
The lenses are great for daily use. However, keep in mind that they will not change colours in the car. Also you can expect to use them for about two years after that you’ll find that they do not become as dark when you go outside and they do not become as clear when you come inside. If you’re changing your glasses every two years you shouldn’t have a problem. If you’re using them for longer than that you will not get great use out of them

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Mykita frames generally sell at full MSRP, or are they one of those brands where everybody actually pays $300 or whatever for them?
It will be difficult to find somebody selling it for that price and less they are clearing out their inventory. Generally they were so close to retail

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what’s the difference between high quality acetate vs “bad” acetate?
It will depend who the manufacturer is and the quality of the material. Bad quality acetates are not as flexible, they do not adjust as well, and the finish on the frame is not as good. A good quality acetate will have a much better shine, much better adjustability and will be more robust.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s grey market?
There is a gray market for Eyewear. Generally it is product that it is been selling in one country and then parallel exported to another country. Or at times it’s just stolen eyewear. Stolen Eyewear and fakes are very common these days. It’s like buying clothes, if it’s too good to be true, chances are, it is. It’s been stolen or unofficially imported into a different country.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If those are your prescription lenses, please consider getting new lenses with anti reflection coating. It will look much sharper.
Just used as reading glasses.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with lightly tinted lenses? So, not things such as sunglasses, but lenses that are tinted for fashionable effect.

An example:

jacques-marie-mage-sunglasses-jacques-marie-mage-torino-brown-brown-designer-eyes-810314032464.jpg

Thoughts on how they affect your perception at night, the best color, experience getting darker or lighter tints, etc? I'm thinking about getting a pair, but since I wear prescription lenses, it's kind of costly. Curious if anyone has had any experience in this area

(cc'ing @conceptual 4est since I think he wears lightly tinted lenses).

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with lightly tinted lenses? So, not things such as sunglasses, but lenses that are tinted for fashionable effect.

An example:

View attachment 1133144

Thoughts on how they affect your perception at night, the best color, experience getting darker or lighter tints, etc? I'm thinking about getting a pair, but since I wear prescription lenses, it's kind of costly. Curious if anyone has had any experience in this area

(cc'ing @conceptual 4est since I think he wears lightly tinted lenses).

Slightly tinted lenses will make you look “shady”. In a. Business setting, propbably not advisable. If you’re wearing them as indoor/outdoor tint, it’s fine. If its a secondary pair, it’s fine. Not a primary pair in a business setting though. If you want more vibrant colours, go for a TL#1 (light pink) or a brown. Grey will just make your vision a few shades darker. With that said, it is essential that you get a good anti reflection coating or else you will get a lot of glare off the back surface.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Slightly tinted lenses will make you look “shady”. In a. Business setting, propbably not advisable. If you’re wearing them as indoor/outdoor tint, it’s fine. If its a secondary pair, it’s fine. Not a primary pair in a business setting though. If you want more vibrant colours, go for a TL#1 (light pink) or a brown. Grey will just make your vision a few shades darker. With that said, it is essential that you get a good anti reflection coating or else you will get a lot of glare off the back surface.

which tint will make me look shadiest?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^
stephen-miller-sushi.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which tint will make me look shadiest?

A light pink/brown gradient lens will be the most “don’t go near playgrounds”. A light grey will be the least “shady”. With that said, depending on the frame, sometimes a pink/brown color can look really good. Although, still not a business appropriate pair of eyewear, in my opinion. If you’re a club promoter, perfect. If you’re an account or physician, not so much.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A light pink/brown gradient lens will be the most “don’t go near playgrounds”. A light grey will be the least “shady”. With that said, depending on the frame, sometimes a pink/brown color can look really good. Although, still not a business appropriate pair of eyewear, in my opinion. If you’re a club promoter, perfect. If you’re an account or physician, not so much.

which one says i sell cocaine? i'm trying to up my business

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads