• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

StarterStyle

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. The cable temple holds my ears very well, so these might become a gym pair of glasses. Also, what is this shrink wrapping temples method? I've never heard of it.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CityConnection, I am looking to buy a new frame because my roughly 2 year old Warby Parker is worn out from daily wear. I have to say that the price on WP actually reflects the quality of their frames and lenses. They maybe a good option if you can rotate at least 2 or 3 pairs, but that's not what I wanted.

Therefore, this time I'm looking at something better and can last me a while. Consider that I am Asian with flat face, what plastic frame brand would you recommend? I have looked into Cutler and Gross, Prada, Agnes b, Paul Smith. How are these brand's quality? Should I look into other brands? I am also considering Prodesign that you recommended on the first page.

Some brands (included in your list and not) would be Prodesign (nose pads), the NEW Giorgio Armani (from Lux on in "F" models which are asian fit), Danish Eyewear (nose pads), Paul Smith (you can get factory mounted pad arms on any plastic frame), Lindberg (pad arms), Kio Yamato (just a great fit), O&X (great value and fit)... those are would be my first choices. Not the only choices, but a good solid bunch.

Thank you very much!

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using Tapatalk

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I only wear specs to watch television, but mine are Fred, platinum plated, set with rosé diamonds.

I hope they last the rest of my life because I love them so much:)

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only wear specs to watch television, but mine are Fred, platinum plated, set with rosé diamonds.

I hope they last the rest of my life because I love them so much:)

Fred frames are well made. Pricey but well made. As long as you don't sit on them or fall asleep with them on, they probably will last you a life time.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the advice. The cable temple holds my ears very well, so these might become a gym pair of glasses. Also, what is this shrink wrapping temples method? I've never heard of it.

More of a trade secret, but you take a rubbber tubing and wrap the temple. When it heats up, it will melt onto the frame causing a semi permanent finish.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Fred frames are well made. Pricey but well made. As long as you don't sit on them or fall asleep with them on, they probably will last you a life time.

That's great to know, especially as I only wear them a few times a week!

Thanks for the info:)

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any good non asian brands that carry asian fitted glasses?

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, any general advice for lenses? I have bad eyes (-7.0) and would prefer thinner lenses, will get anti-glare coating as well, anything else or brands I should be looking for?

lim

Reaction score
Hey CC

Thank you for taking the time to reply my last post.

Following further visits to my optician I was made to understand that the brand Yellows Plus is a notch higher then Masunaga glasses in terms of the quality of finishes?

Cheers:D

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gross question, but CC, how do you recommend wiping the oil off of our frames (for those of us with oily skin)?

I've been using a t-shirt and I've noticed that some of the sheen/lacquer in the nose "pad" area of my Ray-Bans has been wiped off and is now matte - maybe I'm just wiping too hard?

Actually, is it safe to just run them under water or wash them or something? Or will the metal parts rust?

Last edited:

CarolinaMan

Reaction score
thanks, any general advice for lenses? I have bad eyes (-7.0) and would prefer thinner lenses, will get anti-glare coating as well, anything else or brands I should be looking for?
The higher the refractive index, the thinner the lens (and generally speaking, the more expensive).

1.74 index would be the thinnest followed by 1.67 index. Many brands make lenses in these indexes. The anti reflective and anti scratch coatings will also have a big impact on the price.

You can also buy polycarbonate (1.59 index), however, many experience chromatic aberration in stronger prescriptions made from poly due to its relatively low ABBE value (a whole other discussion).

The size of the frame also has an impact on a high minus prescription. Picking a frame that is either too large or is made from thin metal can make the lenses look thick. An aspheric lens design with taper at the edge can also help make the lens look thinner.

Regarding brands, you will hear fans of every major brand whether that be Essilor, Zeiss, Hoya, Nikon, Kodak, etc. If you are a single vision wearer, you will not be able to tell a big difference unless you upgrade to a digital free from lens.

Last edited:

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, ordered a pair of Kio Yamato XOs today.

Last edited:

gamblor

Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any better quality alternatives for sunglasses that provide full protection? I use Noir as they offer brow, side, and bottom coverage without limiting vision. They are also made of cheap plastic and could be styled sharper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics