• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

mr.invincible

Reaction score
getting into more sunglasses collecting, and im trying to find places to buy more "made in japan" or straight from japan.

as of now, i like ayame and evevan7285. wondering if people have any reliable sites that ship overseas (to US)

also any recommendation to resize sunglasses? blowdryer?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decent frames are again in short supply in Oz but the Moscot Zolman will be available soon from an optometrist I know.
View attachment 1734092 View attachment 1734093 View attachment 1734094
Two questions what is the. quality like these days and can another brand do it better?
How does Kala stack up against them? They’re still US made if that makes any difference. There’s also Dolomiti from Italy which I’m interested in - looking at round frames with a wide bridge.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as of now, i like ayame and evevan7285. wondering if people have any reliable sites that ship overseas (to US)

A lot of JP retailers will ship to the US if you email them. Alternatively you can use a proxy such as ZenMarket.

Continuer is a well known Japanese store that stocks a lot of JP brands and has an accessible web store although you’ll have to purchase over email for international shipping.

illiterate

Reaction score
BlueButtonShop based out of Toronto has a pretty sizeable Japanese eyewear collection. Highly recommend them.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Kala stack up against them? They’re still US made if that makes any difference. There’s also Dolomiti from Italy which I’m interested in - looking at round frames with a wide bridge.
Moscot according to their website are made in China…Kala looks cheap and nasty but strives to be hip and Dolomiti only have a round metal frame I’m after acetate frames.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moscot according to their website are made in China…Kala looks cheap and nasty but strives to be hip and Dolomiti only have a round metal frame I’m after acetate frames.
Interesting what you say about Moscot vs Kala's perceived quality. I haven't handled either but it surprises me that Kala gives you that impression as that is what I've read about Moscot! I'm looking for round frames in either material so still looking for opinions on Dolomiti - thanks for the reply.
I meant that Kala are US made as opposed to Moscot, to clarify.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting what you say about Moscot vs Kala's perceived quality. I haven't handled either but it surprises me that Kala gives you that impression as that is what I've read about Moscot! I'm looking for round frames in either material so still looking for opinions on Dolomiti - thanks for the reply.
I meant that Kala are US made as opposed to Moscot, to clarify.
Jacques Marie Mage also came out w/ a frame called Fumio, if the sizing works for you.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Decent frames are again in short supply in Oz but the Moscot Zolman will be available soon from an optometrist I know.
View attachment 1734092 View attachment 1734093 View attachment 1734094
Two questions what is the. quality like these days and can another brand do it better?

I just bought a Moscot acetate frame and in my opinion the quality is good. Before I have been wearing Oliver People's acetate frames for a long time.

Oliver People's frames seem to be lighter than Moscot's, and the shape of the temple tips is different, in my opinion more comfortable than Moscot's.

I also tried some Cutler and Gross glasses and again the temple tips felt more uncomfortable than Oliver People's. I really liked the Cutler and Gross acetate aviator frames but did not buy them because they felt uncomfortable..

I tried these MODO eyeglasses and they felt great, very lightweight:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Moscot acetate frame and in my opinion the quality is good. Before I have been wearing Oliver People's acetate frames for a long time.

Oliver People's frames seem to be lighter than Moscot's, and the shape of the temple tips is different, in my opinion more comfortable than Moscot's.

I also tried some Cutler and Gross glasses and again the temple tips felt more uncomfortable than Oliver People's. I really liked the Cutler and Gross acetate aviator frames but did not buy them because they felt uncomfortable..

Ah, another vote for Moscot, thank you.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacques Marie Mage also came out w/ a frame called Fumio, if the sizing works for you.
Had a look what can I say “too cool to be real” but not in the colour I’m after…sigh

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate it when they (Modo) don’t publish bridge measurements : (

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, another vote for Moscot, thank you.
I have four pairs of Moscots - all acetates no wires:
Lemtosh in dark blonde
Neff in blonde
Hyman in Emerald
Fritz in black tortoise.
All made in China - all very well made. Not in the same league as JMM but not in the same price bracket either! They have a ridiculously large variety of frames and even their opticals can have custom made tinted lenses put in. Last time I bought from them they included a small thick handbook of every style they make so you could ask themif they’ll send one to you.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have four pairs of Moscots - all acetates no wires:
Lemtosh in dark blonde
Neff in blonde
Hyman in Emerald
Fritz in black tortoise.
All made in China - all very well made. Not in the same league as JMM but not in the same price bracket either! They have a ridiculously large variety of frames and even their opticals can have custom made tinted lenses put in. Last time I bought from them they included a small thick handbook of every style they make so you could ask themif they’ll send one to you.
I’ll have to see them in person - there’s a local reseller apparently.
Interested particularly in the Zolman.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to see them in person - there’s a local reseller apparently.
Interested particularly in the Zolman.
Yeah if you’re looking for that Philip Johnson round look I knew they’d have something. Out of all my shades I don’t have many round ones as I don’t think they suit me but if that’s the look you’re going for Moscot quality shouldn’t be an issue. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads