• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I just said that it could be mainstream in the very text you quoted if it was good enough. But you’ve not presented any compelling information aside from Mykita is using it so it must be good, which is not really saying anything at all. Are you saying Mykita's statement that their 3d printed material has "refined surface and deep, even colouring" is something the industry should shift for?

Then I briefly started reading more on 3d printed glasses, which on first glance seems to be possibly lighter frames and some frame geometries that couldn't be achieved w/ conventional processes, but I stopped spending any more of my time doing it when I realized I was doing someone else's homework.

3D printing for consumers at home is probably the most intriguing question you asked.

I am asking because I do not know, and this thread is called "ask me about eyewear" :)))

So I just saw a bunch of eyewear makers are producing some frames using 3D printing and wanted to know the opinion of others about it.

heebalabala

Reaction score
I have a pair of 3D printed glasses from MOTO's 3D LAB line and like them quite a lot. They are indeed extremely lightweight, which I love. I've worn lightweight titanium frames before and these are even lighter. The texture is also pretty cool. Any specific questions about them, let me know.

Last edited:

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I have a pair of 3D printed glasses from MOTO's 3D LAB line and like them quite a lot. They are indeed extremely lightweight, which I love. I've worn lightweight titanium frames before and these are even lighter. The texture is also pretty cool. Any specific questions about them, let me know.

Thanks for your input! I did not know the MODO brand. There's a store near my place that, according to the webpage, seems to sell that brand. Now I am curious and will go see those MODO glasses in a few days. I am curious about how temples are inserted on the frame, and also about how temples fold.

I tried Mykita glasses recently, and I did not like the feel when closing the temples; apparently Mykita glasses are made from "surgical steel", that folds but does not break.. but I just did not like the feeling of folding and unfolding those glasses...

I am also curious about why the MODO glasses have nose pads if the frontal frame is made of some material, acetate or other lightweight material, with saddle bridges for some models...

The MODO website specifically mentions lightweight glasses, which is great. The catalogue price I saw on the website is around 300 euros per frame, which is probably due to the temples being made by titanium, which increases the price.

In Spain eyewear shops usually sell at least 20% below catalogue price.. we'll see.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the brand or model Ray Winstone is wearing?
8C14A7B6-FF83-4ED3-9D4F-24D1F144C8DF.jpeg
D1C3C5F9-8256-447D-B7DD-B1CA3805295C.jpeg

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Mykita Mylon's. They just seem like regular plastic, though the texture is slightly different. They might be hollow though, which would make them even lighter than regular plastic/acetate.

heebalabala

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I did not know the MODO brand. There's a store near my place that, according to the webpage, seems to sell that brand. Now I am curious and will go see those MODO glasses in a few days. I am curious about how temples are inserted on the frame, and also about how temples fold.

I tried Mykita glasses recently, and I did not like the feel when closing the temples; apparently Mykita glasses are made from "surgical steel", that folds but does not break.. but I just did not like the feeling of folding and unfolding those glasses...

I am also curious about why the MODO glasses have nose pads if the frontal frame is made of some material, acetate or other lightweight material, with saddle bridges for some models...

The MODO website specifically mentions lightweight glasses, which is great. The catalogue price I saw on the website is around 300 euros per frame, which is probably due to the temples being made by titanium, which increases the price.

In Spain eyewear shops usually sell at least 20% below catalogue price.. we'll see.

Apologies that the photos are a touch blurry but they should give you an idea how the flex titanium temples are attached to the Polyamide frame. A thin piece of titanium curls around the front of the frame and is secured with a screw from the back. Also note the texture of the Polyamide frames, which I like.

IMG_1327.jpeg
IMG_1330.jpeg

CWV

Reaction score
Apologies that the photos are a touch blurry but they should give you an idea how the flex titanium temples are attached to the Polyamide frame. A thin piece of titanium curls around the front of the frame and is secured with a screw from the back. Also note the texture of the Polyamide frames, which I like.

View attachment 1716712 View attachment 1716713
What’s that brand?

LucasFilms

Reaction score

View attachment 1716712 View attachment 1716713

Thanks a lot for the pictures! Those glasses look very nice.

After visiting a few optical shops I finally ordered Moscots this year; I am waiting for them to arrive. It seems orders are running a bit slower this year, maybe due to bottlenecks, or some issue with transport. I am picking my glasses up at a shop where I should be able to try the MODO glasses too, see how they feel.

I have been wearing the same eyeglasses year after year, while I own many different sunglasses. From now on I am going to use different eyeglasses too, so it's awesome to see there are so many new options to choose from, including 3D printed models.

For next year I will buy a second pair of Moscots and I would also like to try some other brand.

I tried "aviator" Mykita eyeglasses made from surgical steel and really liked the shape and how lightweight they are; they look very neat and sleek. However, I did not like the temples and how they folded. I would like a more "mechanical" motion on the temples, something that clicked and did not bend so much, but for that Mykita probably would have to use another material for the temples. These are the ones I tried, on shiny silver:

ultravisitor

Reaction score
There must be something to it if Mykita is using it already.. so I am just wondering if a big part of the eyewear industry could adopt this technology in the future.
Mykita has been doing it for a long time by now. I got a pair of their Mylon frames maybe 5 years ago, and they had been making frames out of that material for a few years at that point. They're very comfortable--moreso than the frames they make out of stainless steel. The Mylon frames are more expensive than their other frames, though, which makes me think that it'll be a while before 3D printed eyewear becomes a big part of the industry.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Mykita has been doing it for a long time by now. I got a pair of their Mylon frames maybe 5 years ago, and they had been making frames out of that material for a few years at that point. They're very comfortable--moreso than the frames they make out of stainless steel. The Mylon frames are more expensive than their other frames, though, which makes me think that it'll be a while before 3D printed eyewear becomes a big part of the industry.

In the end I got these glasses by Moscot, still a black acetate frame:

At the shop I also saw these glasses by IC Berlin, aviator shape, which are made of stainless steel and are similar to Mykita. The IC Berlin temples feel more substantial when folding and unfolding the glasses and the frame and temples consist of 3 pieces, without any screws:

Maybe I will try these stainless steel frames, like Mykita or IC Berlin, in the future. The only issue is that, despite my shortsightedness is not that high, the price tag goes up quite a bit, because these frames required reduced lenses etc. The IC Berlin frame itself was priced at around 400 euros, which is quite high in my opinion.

There were not many MODO frames to look at. Very few options..

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I am having a look at "Eyewear, a visual history" by Moss Lipow. It is interesting to read about the beginnings of the optical industry, see what the first models of glasses looked like, etc

Many current designs can be traced back over a hundred years, and the most basic reading glasses go back a few hundred years... and there are pictures of Chinese and Japanese folding reading glasses from 18th century...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decent frames are again in short supply in Oz but the Moscot Zolman will be available soon from an optometrist I know.
BE794279-DB4A-4462-B0D0-153DE459EF31.jpeg
4E4007B5-BEC8-449D-BA62-B9E20B72A1A8.jpeg
18E9B139-EE10-4FFA-BA5C-9B4C6563934D.jpeg

Two questions what is the. quality like these days and can another brand do it better?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads