• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

malcolmbw

Reaction score
Are there frames that become progressively more transparent as they go down? I’ve seen bI color, but not sure is a frame that has a gradient of color toward clear.

Windybey

Reaction score
Hi All, Hope everyone is well.
Im trying to find some old school Barton Perreira Gilbert (Tortoise, Dark Chestnut) but proving somewhat difficult. IDoes anyone know where i might be able to source a pair? Alternatively, am i right in thinking the Gellert is their newer replaccement mode?

Thank you in advance

James

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I’ve got Moscot Hyman which look a lot like number two but of my four Moscots aside from diamond hinge pins on the Lemtosh the others have two dot, three dot or no dot on the frames, none have that rectangular dash common to most of your pics.
I’ve found Moscot customer service to be excellent and while there’s no substitute for trying glasses on, with my last purchase they sent me a handbook with pics of every frame, dimensions etc which they would probably send if you asked nicely! Heir website is decent too. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply! I had a look at the Moscot website, and the Moscot Hyman is definitely on my list! Now I have to find a good eyeglass shop in Barcelona to try those glasses.

My only worry is the current situation with stocks etc due to COVID. Here in Barcelona there are many shops that do not have enough product, they are out of stock for many items.

I also liked very much the model Bill Evans was wearing on the picture, with the double coloured rim, but I have absolutely no clue about the brand or particular model...

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I need to buy new eyeglasses. I am thinking of purchasing a black rectangular acetate frame. Usually I just go to a shop and choose something there.. but this time I thought of having a look at different brands before.

I am leaning towards purchasing Moscot, as they have a wide variety of frames with a classical look. I think some of the glasses below may be Moscot but I had a look at Moscot's website and could not really identify the specific models.. it's hard to identify glasses. Are 2 and 3 Moscot eyeglasses?

Could anyone identify which specific model of eyeglasses are these, or at least the brand?:

1. Chuck Palahniuk

View attachment 1704318

2. Anish Kapoor

View attachment 1704319

View attachment 1704320

3. Jonathan Franzen

View attachment 1704328
View attachment 1704332

5. Bill Evans

View attachment 1704344

Thanks a lot for your help!

I am now pretty sure number 2 is Cutler and Gross 0772. I tried those glasses but looked huge on me. I also tried JMM and those looked awful on me haha

I tried Matsuda (titanium and also steel frames) and they did not look so substantial. A bit boring to be honest..

I am now leaning towards... Oliver Peoples... again.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Are Matsudas great quality from those who own them? I’ve only seen them on IG ads lmao.
I really like limited edition ones they have right now for $1500. Obviously they’re not “worth it” per se, but is the quality generally really good?
I have 1.1 millionaires right now and the ALD shades from this season.

I have tried titanium Matsuda frames and they are very good quality.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
What do you guys think about 3D printing applied to eyewear? Will it change the industry? Would it be feasible for consumers to use this technology in the future?

I have seen Mykita produces 3D printed glasses already:

"As the first serially produced collection made by 3D printing technology, MYKITA MYLON established a new category in eyewear and set the industry benchmark – the MYLON material is an award-winning innovation from the Modern Manufactory. Distinguished by its refined surface and deep, even colouring, MYLON is subject to a process of constant evolution to ensure its market-leading quality."

This is a Danish eyewear company that create glasses using 3D printing. Are you guys familiar with this company?:

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Personally, I'm just not sure what the appeal of it is. I can't really understand from the copy what the advantage of 3d printing a frame is.

There must be something to it if Mykita is using it already.. so I am just wondering if a big part of the eyewear industry could adopt this technology in the future.

CWV

Reaction score
Any of you have tried the Hampton or the X version from Garrett Leigh’s?

RCD33

Reaction score
Any of you have tried the Hampton or the X version from Garrett Leigh’s?

I'm a big fan of the Hampton, especially with the all available size options. I do wish the bridge was slightly narrower, but that's just so that they'd fit my particular nose a bit better.

CWV

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Hampton, especially with the all available size options. I do wish the bridge was slightly narrower, but that's just so that they'd fit my particular nose a bit better.
In pics I like the classic better than the X. Have you compared them? How about the length of the arm?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why do you think 3D printing cannot become mainstream in the eyewear industry? What's the reason? Can you explain?
I just said that it could be mainstream in the very text you quoted if it was good enough. But you’ve not presented any compelling information aside from Mykita is using it so it must be good, which is not really saying anything at all. Are you saying Mykita's statement that their 3d printed material has "refined surface and deep, even colouring" is something the industry should shift for?

Then I briefly started reading more on 3d printed glasses, which on first glance seems to be possibly lighter frames and some frame geometries that couldn't be achieved w/ conventional processes, but I stopped spending any more of my time doing it when I realized I was doing someone else's homework.

3D printing for consumers at home is probably the most intriguing question you asked.

RCD33

Reaction score
In pics I like the classic better than the X. Have you compared them? How about the length of the arm?

I have no experience with the X. The arm length is fine for me, but I have a pretty small noggin. Mine are size 42, but I also think most people wear glasses that are proportionally too big for them so my preference leans towards smaller frames. Which is coincidentally how I ended up with Hamptons in the first place: it's hard to find frames with 42 mm lenses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads