• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone in the Socal area recommend me some optical stores (LA or OC)? I'm looking to buy my first pair of frames, but still not sure what exactly I'm looking for. it would be great if the store carries a large variety of frames from different brands.
Goodsee in Venice, European Optical in Laguna...

hobojones

Reaction score
I think Gogosha in Echo Park is fantastic. The owner was extremely helpful and brought out dozens of frames for me to try. I’m gonna check out Framed Ewe soon in Atwater village as their selection looks pretty promising

Artking3

Reaction score
Can anyone in the Socal area recommend me some optical stores (LA or OC)? I'm looking to buy my first pair of frames, but still not sure what exactly I'm looking for. it would be great if the store carries a large variety of frames from different brands.

Van Brunt Optical Haus in Costa Mesa is my favorite. I've spent too much money there, lots of great brands: Blake Kuwuhara, Masunaga, etc.

Vitra Eyewear in South Coast Plaza, also Costa Mesa, also has a fantastic selection of JMM, Retrospecs, Chrome Hearts, etc.

Almost no overlap in selection at both shops and only 10 minutes apart.

yunBW

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, I found a pair of tavat frame that I like from van brunt optical Haus. @Artking3 the owner was really nice and great to talk to, I can see why you purchased a lot of frames from there

Attachments

• 97280F02-6E59-46E0-983E-7957567A605E.jpeg
    97280F02-6E59-46E0-983E-7957567A605E.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 101

Artking3

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, I found a pair of tavat frame that I like from van brunt optical Haus. @Artking3 the owner was really nice and great to talk to, I can see why you purchased a lot of frames from there
I'm glad it worked out for you. Laura has been very helpful when I was getting into acetate sunglasses, and I always want to help local small businesses, especially during these difficult times.

yunBW

Reaction score
I had one of the frames altered at the place I have bought it from. Is it normal for them to alter for one temple to be higher than the other one? It fits comfortable on me but not sure if it’s normal. B5F669D6-C912-4E02-BE4A-BB3E90B2CCF5.jpeg C086D8C8-4AF7-4E8B-8398-6760E6068984.jpeg F6FE81A1-FA50-4E56-9AF2-4A8F528C9863.jpeg

Goofy

Reaction score

CWV

Reaction score
Is this the threat to get fit advise or should I post somewhere else?

CWV

Reaction score
Yep, go for it.
Great.
I bought a couple of sunglasses to see how they fiit and select the best if any.
I had chosen one with the opinion of some friends but when my GF came home she said that in person they looked too small for me. (She had also liked them via pictures)
These are the sunglasses. It’s a PRL sized 51-19-140 for references. The first pic is the one I sent my friends and GF
originally
F56EC795-DF2E-4CA4-85DD-65D973D17415.jpeg
951DABA2-AF42-4042-9C77-6F34C88534BD.jpeg
AAEE0CE4-400F-4BE4-9019-E4E4C500CE20.jpeg
The second 2 pics where taken by her trying to capture what she Kent.

This armani exchange she find better when she saw it IRL (second pic was taken by her)
9D97BDE1-189B-44FA-BFCD-CB16A02CC573.jpeg

W
E3CB59C8-4F77-4322-BBB6-EAB632284DC7.jpeg
What do you think? Is the PRL too small? Is it fine? Do you preferred rthe Armani (the plastic frame feels pretty cheap)? Either? Neither? Do you need other angles?

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
74B6C489-49B4-4187-B208-50B31F9764E7.gif

This is a representation of the distortion you’re seeing from being too close to your phone camera. The closer the distance, the bigger and wider frames will look on you. If you want a truer image of what someone else sees at normal distance, you need to back up and take a pic in the mirror (or have your GF do it).

I think the first frames fit fine, personally, I dislike the second ones. I would pass on both myself, but if you’re not looking to deep dive into the optical and sunglasses world, I think it will serve you passably.

Last edited:

CWV

Reaction score
This is a representation of the distortion you’re seeing from being too close to your phone camera. The closer the distance, the bigger and wider frames will look on you. If you want a truer image of what someone else sees at normal distance, you need to back up and take a pic in the mirror (or have your GF do it).

I think the first frames fit fine, personally, I dislike the second ones. I would pass on both myself, but if you’re not looking to deep dive into the optical and sunglasses world, I think it will serve you passably.
Thx. And any suggestion for a deeper dive?
I have these higher qualitybaArchibald. They were supposed to be prescription sunglasses but I tinkered too much with the shade and they cane out TOO clear
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx. And any suggestion for a deeper dive?
I have these higher qualitybaArchibald. They were supposed to be prescription sunglasses but I tinkered too much with the shade and they cane out TOO clear
Those are much more flattering on you. I'd check out some of the recommendations in this thread, but my personal rec for you specifically would be to look into Lesca Lunetier. If you want something a little more adventurous there are plenty of brands out there, but I think that might work in your wheelhouse. I'd start by limiting your search to makers that only make eyewear, not a thoughtless accessory line for a major brand. The current darling of the enthusiast crowd is Jacques Marie Mage, but it's quite a price jump compared to a lot of other brands and some people just won't like it. It's also got more of a directional aesthetic (think vintage 70s big chunky vibes for their most famous frames), though I'd argue they have some very classic designs that may work for you as well (like the Jax and Molino). Moscot and Garrett Leight may also work for you, though personally I think their offerings are kinda middle of the road in multiple aspects. Mykita and Matsuda are probably a little "too much," if I had to guess, and pair better w/ heavy streetwear type of outfits to me.

I'ma double down on Lesca for you.

Hope that helps.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you know what lens size those tavats are? 45?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great.
I bought a couple of sunglasses to see how they fiit and select the best if any.
I had chosen one with the opinion of some friends but when my GF came home she said that in person they looked too small for me. (She had also liked them via pictures)
These are the sunglasses. It’s a PRL sized 51-19-140 for references. The first pic is the one I sent my friends and GF The second 2 pics where taken by her trying to capture what she Kent.

This armani exchange she find better when she saw it IRL (second pic was taken by her)
What do you think? Is the PRL too small? Is it fine? Do you preferred rthe Armani (the plastic frame feels pretty cheap)? Either? Neither? Do you need other angles?
Not to be harsh, but the Armani ones look like the kind they give away for free at the dentist. The polo ones look pretty good. You might try slightly smaller lenses. The polo frame style is an extremely common frame often known as the p3 shape or keyhole frame, so there are a lot of options in terms of color and size. They generally come in lens sizes ranging from 43 (that's what I wear, but I have a very narrow face and so I need very small lenses, John Varvatos is one of the few that makes those kind that small) up to 53 or 55 (huge, really). I know your girlfriend said they seemed small, but 51 is fairly large. Most people look better in 48s or 45s for these kind of frames. You might also look for ones where there is more of a contrast in color between the frames and the lenses. I personally like light colored frames with dark lenses, and it seems like clear (or crystal) frames are having a moment

Last edited:
Reactions: CWV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads