• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So nice to see this thread still going.

I'm currently own a pair of Salt optics Wayne - 53 - 17 - 140 which I think fits me well.

View attachment 1314562

I am interested in the below discontinued frame Dita which is called Oak. The size is 52-18-146 and its only available on ebay

View attachment 1314560

I am 99% sure the bridge is 1MM to big for me being 18. I am thinking of having the nose pads filed down and getting custom metal nose pads installed on the back

View attachment 1314559

As mentioned above I am sure the Oak nose bridge is too big for me because I just tired on another pair of Dita frames which are called the Statesmen 3 with measurements - 52 - 18 - 147 and as you can see by the pic its a little big on the bridge

View attachment 1314561

Thoughts welcome by all. Paging City

@CityConnection

I own a pair of Dita Birch frames that are similar to the Oak. They CANNOT be modified to accommodate nose pads. the frame is too thin.

wakazuki

Reaction score
I got a model called the Grant. I tried it on in tortoise first but went to a sister store to check them out in black as well, which I ended up buying. They were actually sunglasses on the black pair, but it’s kind of nice I’ll have those lenses as well if I want to use them as sunglasses sometime.

What I’ve found time and time again is what I think I like online and what I actually like on my face, in person, are usually two entirely separate things. I also now know that my face/nose often will benefit from nose pads, and I’ve found the titanium ones used by a lot of Japanese makers really nice. My Eyevans don’t fit me quite as well because of this unfortunately, though I haven’t been able to find a service that will install nice ones like Eyevan/Japanese brands use in the first place.

Anyways here’s the YP Grant. View attachment 1324938 View attachment 1324950 View attachment 1324951
Beautiful Pantos type style. It's the most trending style in Japan right now (but has been for some time), so definitely a lot of Japanese brands are making it. You might want to check Jacques Durand, a French brand very respected in Japan (not very known outside, as often happens).
Their Pâques model is a Pantos style model.

Personally, I bought 50s vintage French Pantos recently, love them :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_203141.jpg
    IMG_20200206_203141.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20200206_203120.jpg
    IMG_20200206_203120.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 107

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I managed "Ken's Eyewear Club" for 20 years as a Yahoo Club and then Yahoo Group - from 1999 to the end of last year when all the Yahoo Groups were removed from general accessibility and converted to a format whereas one has to contact the group manager to see the posts, photos and other attachments. I tried to do whatever was necessary to make sure the entire forum, which has thousands of posts, remains intact, but I'm not terribly savvy in that sort of thing and can't very easily relate here how to access the Club. It is with all the Yahoo Groups, however, so if you can figure it out it's all there and you can still ask to join. I accept everyone (I've gotten many types from eyewear professions down to the average Joe who is simply seeking a frame) unless the request is clearly bogus. It was a good run of 20 years and I hope it continues, including with new members and their contributions. I certainly have been able to express a lot of my ideas and opionios in this forum, which is searchable, and am at least glad it's still on as I was told my transfer to the new format was successful. Thanks for your interest.

ceriano

Reaction score
Picked up this pair of AQS are our local saks off. They’re not quality made but I really like the size and the shape. I’m hoping to find a quality pair in the same style.
Has anybody tried Walmart’s vision center? Looks like their prices are almost half of LensCrafters. I can’t justify putting high dollar lenses in these frames.

Attachments

• 37CC4228-008E-467C-9555-CBF40270AA89.jpeg
    37CC4228-008E-467C-9555-CBF40270AA89.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 93633F7A-6C03-4DE0-94B9-4B305391A875.jpeg
    93633F7A-6C03-4DE0-94B9-4B305391A875.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 129
  • FC183136-1DF9-4CF1-AFE6-AFBDB9481146.jpeg
    FC183136-1DF9-4CF1-AFE6-AFBDB9481146.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 114

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this pair of AQS are our local saks off. They’re not quality made but I really like the size and the shape. I’m hoping to find a quality pair in the same style.
Has anybody tried Walmart’s vision center? Looks like their prices are almost half of LensCrafters. I can’t justify putting high dollar lenses in these frames.
I've heard good things about Costco lenses being value, though they only go up to 1.67 if you have a high power.

ceriano

Reaction score
I've heard good things about Costco lenses being value, though they only go up to 1.67 if you have a high power.

unfortunately I don’t have Costco membership. I’m looking for Plano non-prescription lenses. Walmart quoted me $110 for off brand poly and $160 for Zeiss and Nikon. I believe LensCrafters charges $130 for plastic lenses but those can be tinted in case I decide to turn them into sunglasses.

Are Zeiss lenses worth the extra cost?

Last edited:

KimmieWatson

Reaction score
I have a question. What is the current opinion of Ray Ban's various classic aviator style sunglasses? Similar to this:

Are they completely out of style? I never see them worn much anymore, but to me they're timeless. I think most sunglasses I see these days look too reptilian and uber-cool. Just curious what you thought.
Aviators never go out of fashion. They still look classy and stylish. Aviators look best with traditional or reflective lenses. Over the years, it has become trendy to wear aviators with colorful lenses in green, blue or pink. However, for the true sartorialist, I suggest more subtle and refined classic options.

verver

Reaction score
What’s the consensus on cutler and gross frames? Still good quality?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfortunately I don’t have Costco membership. I’m looking for Plano non-prescription lenses. Walmart quoted me $110 for off brand poly and $160 for Zeiss and Nikon. I believe LensCrafters charges $130 for plastic lenses but those can be tinted in case I decide to turn them into sunglasses.

Are Zeiss lenses worth the extra cost?

1. LensCrafters, you need to tint at the time of purchase. Tinting later on is not suggested as all scratches will be amplified with darker spots when you tint.
2. Zeiss and Nikon lenses will have a stronger anti scratch coating.
3. Those prices are ridiculous. Go find an independent retailer. Walmart and other such chains have garbage lenses as house brands and overpriced Branded lenses.

poissa

Reaction score

poissa

Reaction score
Looks like Mashiro Maruyama MM-0046 are sold out online. Lab Rabbit Optics in Chicago carries Mashiro Maruyama - maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Anyone else you can think of with stuff as unique as them?

CityConnection -- would love new recommendations based on the below. Masunaga GMS-813 - I agree with what you said they are plain.

I had an opportunity to try on the Matsuda M1019 - and they were a little large and underwhelming when I tried them on. I was expecting to see all the colors pop when I wear them.

I tried on the Matsuda-10189h - they were a little large from a height perspective (37 mm). Would prefer to get this to maybe 36mm. Pretty simple but perfectly executed. I may end up with those or looking into similar Lunor frames.

MATSUDA 10189H.PNG

CityConnection -- I came here for exactly the detail you delivered. Are there any other similar brands I should consider? I'd like to keep the frames to ~ $400. Many range from $500-750.

From what you shared, I found a few that I really like.

Matsuda M1019 - the depth of colors and the simple shape make this a winner.
View attachment 1324501

Mashiro Maruyama MM-0046 - perhaps a little too much detail for my taste with the left rim. However, I love the detail of the shape.
View attachment 1324497

Masunaga GMS-813 - look discreet and interesting.
View attachment 1324500

Yuchi Toyama No U-108 - boring old man glasses
View attachment 1324502

Yuichi Toyama No U-107 Model Itten - boring old man glasses
View attachment 1324503

Masunaga 5871 - these look some what interesting but I think are a little too boring.
View attachment 1324499

That’s a good selection of frames. However, my only difference in opinion would be in the:
The first Masunaga are very plain.
The second Masunaga actually look very clean.
The two Yuichi Toyama have a slight industrial look with the gaps that form between the lens and frame.
But you’re right, the Matsuda have a simple shape but the style is very clean and the multiple colours give it a nice finish. Just keep in mind to try them on because they have no pad arms whereas the others you chose have them.

Attachments

• eyewear-matsuda-metal-matsuda-10189h-10189h.jpg
    eyewear-matsuda-metal-matsuda-10189h-10189h.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 79

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Mashiro Maruyama MM-0046 are sold out online. Lab Rabbit Optics in Chicago carries Mashiro Maruyama - maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Anyone else you can think of with stuff as unique as them?

CityConnection -- would love new recommendations based on the below. Masunaga GMS-813 - I agree with what you said they are plain.

I had an opportunity to try on the Matsuda M1019 - and they were a little large and underwhelming when I tried them on. I was expecting to see all the colors pop when I wear them.

I tried on the Matsuda-10189h - they were a little large from a height perspective (37 mm). Would prefer to get this to maybe 36mm. Pretty simple but perfectly executed. I may end up with those or looking into similar Lunor frames.

View attachment 1339668
Let me try to compile a list of brands. But there are soooo many brands in that sector now. When I first started this thread, there were the regular players. Now there are so many brands and styles. But let me think of some of my personal favourites and I’ll post a list.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads