• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CityConnection - I'm looking for a new pair of specs. Had a pair of Titanium Lunor octagon frames for the last 8 years and a pair of Jins acetate (I think) inexpensive frames. What are good quality ones to consider? I don't mind buying from an online retailer or at a store. I'm in Chicago if it matters.
It depends on the look that you want. Lunor and Jins are polar opposites. As convenient as online shopping is, trying them on is always the best. What kind of style are you looking for?

poissa

Reaction score
@CityConnection - fair question.

I generally like colors to be conservative (navy, grey, silver). Generally prefer things a little smaller than Warby Parker/Jins.The first pair, Lunor Octagon's are small - I don't expect my next pair to be this size but not against it.

Here's a few frames I like in terms of style/detail:

Lunor (pair I own)

Lunor A5 237 - like the shape - prefer a different color

Moscot Arthur Charcoal

Moscot - MILTZEN-TT SE

Jins -MCF-15A-U031 I own these - I wish they were a little smaller.46 21-140 37.5 (specifically the lens and the height).

Salt Brody Megry Front - not sure about the size/color of these - but I like I like the details.

Adroit

Reaction score
Anyone going to pick up the new JMM x Alessandro Squarzi collaboration?

I absolutely love the color of the acetate on this collaboration. That said, its the JMM Dealan. More than one person has suggested to me that the Dealan is a woman's model and/or has a feminine appearance. Agree/disagree? I am on the fence.

Ps: JMM has not set a release date for this collaboration.

Do JMM generally sell at full MSRP? Are they worth it?
Are they oversized like Tom Fords?

Yes, JMMs usually sell for full MSRP and most retailers will not discount. That said, I have a local retailer that provides a small discount to me (I buy a lot from them). They might provide similar, small discounts for others. PM me if interested.

Yes, they are worth it. JMM's quality is superlative. 10 and 12mm acetate. Beta titanium. Hinges that could support a car door. Surreal detailing. JMM eyewear is stellar from top to bottom.

Yes, some of their models are oversized -- but not all. Like you, my initial reaction to JMM was that their frames were rather chunky and oversized. However, as I continued to research the brand and try on different models, I discovered that: (a) they have plenty of models that are not oversized; and (b) the chunkiness of the acetate is a direct reflection of the tremendous quality. Thus, I became a convert. For example, in acetate, I own the Zephirin 47, Jax, and Molino 51; and in titanium, I own the Cassidy, Scarpa, and Bryon (acetate/ti hybrid). All of these models are very wearable and not oversized. In contrast, the Peyote, Felson, and Reynold, to name a few, are much larger. Even some of the mid-sized frames have a large feel . . . e.g., the Taos. Photos are deceiving. You have to try them on and see how they fit your face.

With that, why are they so expensive? Because no manufacturing cost is spared.

^ This

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CityConnection - fair question.

I generally like colors to be conservative (navy, grey, silver). Generally prefer things a little smaller than Warby Parker/Jins.The first pair, Lunor Octagon's are small - I don't expect my next pair to be this size but not against it.

Here's a few frames I like in terms of style/detail:

Lunor (pair I own)
View attachment 1323538

Lunor A5 237 - like the shape - prefer a different color

View attachment 1323534

Moscot Arthur Charcoal
View attachment 1323539

Moscot - MILTZEN-TT SE
View attachment 1323540

Jins -MCF-15A-U031 I own these - I wish they were a little smaller.46 21-140 37.5 (specifically the lens and the height).

View attachment 1323555

Salt Brody Megry Front - not sure about the size/color of these - but I like I like the details.

View attachment 1323537
If you’re looking for those kinds of styles. I group them as “traditional Japanese” styles. Some brands that will make similar styles would be matsuda, Masunaga, four 9s (some styles), Yuichi Toyama (hidden gem. He’s an amazing designer with modern but traditional style), Masahiromaruyama (futuristic traditional Japanese), among others.

It’s fun to be pushed outside of your comfort zone and the regular brands. Personally, I don’t see the appeal in wearing boring mass market eyewear, when you’ll spend the time to find the perfect Chelsea boot, knit cardigan or artisanal leather maker for a wallet. Eyewear deserves the same respect.

OR you can join everyone else in the financial industry wearing a “name brand” suit, fleece vest and Rayban/Oakley glasses. I’m not mocking anyone, but we’re all on SF to upgrade ourselves. Let’s give our eyewear the same attention to detail.

Sorry for the rant, but that’s my 2 cents.

Adroit

Reaction score
Personally, I don’t see the appeal in wearing boring mass market eyewear, when you’ll spend the time to find the perfect Chelsea boot, knit cardigan or artisanal leather maker for a wallet. Eyewear deserves the same respect.

OR you can join everyone else in the financial industry wearing a “name brand” suit, fleece vest and Rayban/Oakley glasses. I’m not mocking anyone, but we’re all on SF to upgrade ourselves. Let’s give our eyewear the same attention to detail.

Could not agree more. I am constantly amazed that even fashion conscious people, who endeavor to dress well, largely ignore their eyewear and/or consistently wear generic, mass produced, homogeneous eyewear.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could not agree more. I am constantly amazed that even fashion conscious people, who endeavor to dress well, largely ignore their eyewear and/or consistently wear generic, mass produced, homogeneous eyewear.
Personally, to me, mass market eyewear just ruins an outfit.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Joost in black/gold or matte black. What are some popular styles? Wish they have a stockist near me.

I really like the balance of traditional + minimalist look they offer

Last edited:

poissa

Reaction score
CityConnection -- I came here for exactly the detail you delivered. Are there any other similar brands I should consider? I'd like to keep the frames to ~ $400. Many range from $500-750.

From what you shared, I found a few that I really like.

Matsuda M1019 - the depth of colors and the simple shape make this a winner.

Mashiro Maruyama MM-0046 - perhaps a little too much detail for my taste with the left rim. However, I love the detail of the shape.

Masunaga GMS-813 - look discreet and interesting.

Yuchi Toyama No U-108 - boring old man glasses

Yuichi Toyama No U-107 Model Itten - boring old man glasses

Masunaga 5871 - these look some what interesting but I think are a little too boring.

verver

Reaction score
@CityConnection, Want jmm optical frames, but need larger sizes. Did u mention they were coming out with some wider measurements?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CityConnection -- I came here for exactly the detail you delivered. Are there any other similar brands I should consider? I'd like to keep the frames to ~ $400. Many range from $500-750.

From what you shared, I found a few that I really like.

Matsuda M1019 - the depth of colors and the simple shape make this a winner.
View attachment 1324501

Mashiro Maruyama MM-0046 - perhaps a little too much detail for my taste with the left rim. However, I love the detail of the shape.
View attachment 1324497

Masunaga GMS-813 - look discreet and interesting.
View attachment 1324500

Yuchi Toyama No U-108 - boring old man glasses
View attachment 1324502

Yuichi Toyama No U-107 Model Itten - boring old man glasses
View attachment 1324503

Masunaga 5871 - these look some what interesting but I think are a little too boring.
View attachment 1324499
That’s a good selection of frames. However, my only difference in opinion would be in the:
The first Masunaga are very plain.
The second Masunaga actually look very clean.
The two Yuichi Toyama have a slight industrial look with the gaps that form between the lens and frame.
But you’re right, the Matsuda have a simple shape but the style is very clean and the multiple colours give it a nice finish. Just keep in mind to try them on because they have no pad arms whereas the others you chose have them.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a 10 Eyevan stockist outside of Japan?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a 10 Eyevan stockist outside of Japan?
Eyevan stockiest outside of Japan? They should list them on their website, but many are only in stores and not online. I bought mine in Philly at eyeSite, but there is another stockist 20 min outside of the city. I’m in Paris right now and I’ve seen 2 or 3 stores carrying Eyevan thus far, as well as Masunaga, Matsuda, Lesca, JMM etc.

Also I ran across a new one to me: Yellows Plus. Another Japanese outfit from Fukui, I’m assuming Sabae. Bought a great pair of frames from them tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads