• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would! The first place I search is usually youtube tho. Insta would be nice too. There are not many channels on youtube about high end eyeglasses.
I would love to do it on YouTube too but I know nothing about video editing. Even on Instagram stories, it will be a bit scrappy. LOL. I’ve been juggling the idea for a while. And I have industry friends who have forgotten more than how much we will ever learn. But it comes down to having the time to do it.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of what's been coming out of Native Sons from Japan as well, though the small size of some of their frames (like the Bradbury) are worrisome for my big head.

ceriano

Reaction score
I would love to do it on YouTube too but I know nothing about video editing. Even on Instagram stories, it will be a bit scrappy. LOL. I’ve been juggling the idea for a while. And I have industry friends who have forgotten more than how much we will ever learn. But it comes down to having the time to do it.

Everybody starts somewhere. All you need is a cellphone and a ring light to start. There are only a hand full of videos on youtube on JMMs or eyeglasses in general. I would watch your videos regradeless of quality. It's the content that matters when there is no competition.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody starts somewhere. All you need is a cellphone and a ring light to start. There are only a hand full of videos on youtube on JMMs or eyeglasses in general. I would watch your videos regradeless of quality. It's the content that matters when there is no competition.
True. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe I’ll start when I’m at the next trade show in Milan or NYC.

ceriano

Reaction score
JMM usually sell for full MSRP. With that, why are they so expensive? Because no manufacturing cost is spared. If they want to achieve a look, they can reduce the details and reduce manufacturing cost. But they will add the details and the price of the frame goes up. They are relatively small, definitely not oversized except for the newer releases coming out in Asian fit. If you want smaller frames with that look, check out Lunetterie Generale. Great quality too.

Please don't judge me but I'm actually planning to wear these as non-prescription glasses. I have a couple of pairs of prescription glasses that I rarely wear. If I like the look I will have prescription lenses added in future, if not I may turn them into sunglasses or maybe add colorblindness lenses.
My local optician charges about $100 for Plano lenses with non-reflective coating! JMMs and some Tom Fords come with ready to wear lenses so the cost difference is not huge in my case.

ceriano

Reaction score
True. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe I’ll start when I’m at the next trade show in Milan or NYC.

Do one on quality eyewear hinge designs too. You mentioned it above but I couldn't find anything on youtube!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't judge me but I'm actually planning to wear these as non-prescription glasses. I have a couple of pairs of prescription glasses that I rarely wear. If I like the look I will have prescription lenses added in future, if not I may turn them into sunglasses or maybe add colorblindness lenses.
My local optician charges about $100 for Plano lenses with non-reflective coating! JMMs and some Tom Fords come with ready to wear lenses so the cost difference is not huge in my case.
Most demo lenses have a distractive AR coating. I would try it on and take some selfies. See if the glare is distracting. $100 for AR is not terrible but it isn’t cheap.

tennessee

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify these sunglasses?
3B4AB5E8-1049-4248-A523-9D76F964CEAA.png

ramsker

Reaction score
JMM usually sell for full MSRP. With that, why are they so expensive? Because no manufacturing cost is spared. If they want to achieve a look, they can reduce the details and reduce manufacturing cost. But they will add the details and the price of the frame goes up. They are relatively small, definitely not oversized except for the newer releases coming out in Asian fit. If you want smaller frames with that look, check out Lunetterie Generale. Great quality too.

Do you know if Lunetterie Generale is still made at the Native Sons/ the Light Co. factory? I know that their first few frames, like the Medium Rare, were.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know if Lunetterie Generale is still made at the Native Sons/ the Light Co. factory? I know that their first few frames, like the Medium Rare, were.
I’m not 100% but the quality is comparable. They are made in Japan and the quality is good.

poissa

Reaction score
CityConnection - I'm looking for a new pair of specs. Had a pair of Titanium Lunor octagon frames for the last 8 years and a pair of Jins acetate (I think) inexpensive frames. What are good quality ones to consider? I don't mind buying from an online retailer or at a store. I'm in Chicago if it matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads