• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Doktor Corn

Reaction score
@Doktor Corn not sure if you'll like the styles but Garrett Leight has a bunch of flip up sunglasses. Look at the glasses first then see if they have the clip on sunglasses part. (not all do)

I actually really like the discontinued Valdese model, which appears to be made in China. Are their Chinese models considered to be high quality? My other concern is the bridge width, which really limits my choices; I used to own a Moscot Lemtosh but at 24 mm I needed silicone nosepads just to stop from practically falling off my face. I know the geometry of the frame matters more than just the number, but I find most 22 mm models work. (Or those with adjustable nosepads).

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually really like the discontinued Valdese model, which appears to be made in China. Are their Chinese models considered to be high quality? My other concern is the bridge width, which really limits my choices; I used to own a Moscot Lemtosh but at 24 mm I needed silicone nosepads just to stop from practically falling off my face. I know the geometry of the frame matters more than just the number, but I find most 22 mm models work. (Or those with adjustable nosepads).

My wife and I have 5 pairs but we never paid attention to where it was made so sorry can't help you there. We've been happy with the pairs we have with the exception of the Van Buren which feels flimsy, it is a thin wire frame.

Can't really help you on the bridge width issue, is it because it's too wide? I had some issues with glasses sliding down before but that was due to oily skin. I found washing my face in the morning, using a lotion that didn't make my face oily/greasy, and wiping the nose area on the glasses helped.

I have a big head and found it hard to figure what works for me besides looking for the total frame width which isn't listed on almost all the sites and the shape of the frames. My advice would be to try it on in store or order it from a place with easy returns.

Doktor Corn

Reaction score
My wife and I have 5 pairs but we never paid attention to where it was made so sorry can't help you there. We've been happy with the pairs we have with the exception of the Van Buren which feels flimsy, it is a thin wire frame.

Can't really help you on the bridge width issue, is it because it's too wide? I had some issues with glasses sliding down before but that was due to oily skin. I found washing my face in the morning, using a lotion that didn't make my face oily/greasy, and wiping the nose area on the glasses helped.

I have a big head and found it hard to figure what works for me besides looking for the total frame width which isn't listed on almost all the sites and the shape of the frames. My advice would be to try it on in store or order it from a place with easy returns.

It's a combination of width and oiliness, haha. I guess I have a thin bridge since some frames just sit so low on my nose to begin with that they don't work. Really you can have a wide bridge measurement on the frames but a thick medial frame / narrowly set nosepads since the number just measures the space between the lenses. The angle of the frame at the nose also matters. I've just found that a smaller bridge number leaves less room for any of that to matter. As for trying on glasses, I live about 2 hours from anything besides mall brands.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Not sure if I dig the new JMM Felson.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So nice to see this thread still going.

I'm currently own a pair of Salt optics Wayne - 53 - 17 - 140 which I think fits me well.

20200110_145147.jpg

I am interested in the below discontinued frame Dita which is called Oak. The size is 52-18-146 and its only available on ebay

DitaOak1.jpg

I am 99% sure the bridge is 1MM to big for me being 18. I am thinking of having the nose pads filed down and getting custom metal nose pads installed on the back

DitaOak2.jpg

As mentioned above I am sure the Oak nose bridge is too big for me because I just tired on another pair of Dita frames which are called the Statesmen 3 with measurements - 52 - 18 - 147 and as you can see by the pic its a little big on the bridge

20200110_124440.jpg

Thoughts welcome by all. Paging City

@CityConnection

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nosepads will not be able to mount on to that frame. The frame is too thin. The holes for the pad arms require a thickness. That looks a bit too small to me. As well, wearing it as is, it will slid down too much. The nose bridge on your current one is built up more than the disco Dita ones.
I’d consider the second ones with the factory pad arms.
Cheers!

ceriano

Reaction score
What's your opinion on Tom Davies? Is it quality made? My local optician has a few pairs on sale. They also have a few pairs of Gucci, Tom Ford and Persol all marked down 50-60%. Do you recommend any of them?

I'm going to check out Jacque Marie next weekend. I really like the thick frame design if I can pull it off.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion on Tom Davies? Is it quality made? My local optician has a few pairs on sale. They also have a few pairs of Gucci, Tom Ford and Persol all marked down 50-60%. Do you recommend any of them?

I'm going to check out Jacque Marie next weekend. I really like the thick frame design if I can pull it off.
I don't know anything about Tom Davies but I own Jacques Marie Mage and have handled a few, which are probably my favorite currently for style and build, though super expensive at retail. Persols are nicer than Ray Bans but not by that much, and they have a very specific look to them that I have found is not all that versatile for me, personally. YMMV. But they're not in the same realm as higher end makers. I haven't been particularly impressed by Tom Ford, Gucci even less.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Davies, I haven’t had experience with it. Online they look decent but without touching it and inspecting the hinges and stuff, I wouldn’t know.
As for the other brands that you mentioned, they are a dime a dozen. They are basically a step up from rayban. But a very small step up. They are not even comparable to some of the eyewear specific brands.

ceriano

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Tom Davies but I own Jacques Marie Mage and have handled a few, which are probably my favorite currently for style and build, though super expensive at retail. Persols are nicer than Ray Bans but not by that much, and they have a very specific look to them that I have found is not all that versatile for me, personally. YMMV. But they're not in the same realm as higher end makers. I haven't been particularly impressed by Tom Ford, Gucci even less.

Do JMM generally sell at full MSRP? Are they worth it?
Are they oversized like Tom Fords? Most TFs are too big for my face.

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do JMM generally sell at full MSRP? Do they worth it?
Are they oversized like Tom Fords? Most TFs are too big for my face.
I happened to buy mine on eBay, but that was kind of a special circumstance. I had tried them on previously at a physical location, but they were just too expensive so I forgot about them until I saw the exact frames come up for sale. It's hard to say if they're "worth it," other than to say I really like them, though again I can't justify paying that much for frames.

I think your best bet is to go somewhere, if you can, to try them in person. There's not a great way to ever guess online if a frame is going to look good on you, I've found.

ceriano

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, if I did eyewear frame reviews on Instagram stories, would anyone be interested in checking it out?

I would! The first place I search is usually youtube tho. Insta would be nice too. There are not many channels on youtube about high end eyeglasses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JMM usually sell for full MSRP. With that, why are they so expensive? Because no manufacturing cost is spared. If they want to achieve a look, they can reduce the details and reduce manufacturing cost. But they will add the details and the price of the frame goes up. They are relatively small, definitely not oversized except for the newer releases coming out in Asian fit. If you want smaller frames with that look, check out Lunetterie Generale. Great quality too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads