1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me some other suggestions to the above ? [​IMG] I want them slightly oversized (heigh wise). Hard to determine that with the persols since they don't list the lens height on those anywhere.

2. superego

superego Well-Known Member

Thoughts on Police eyewear, shades in particular?

Looking for a new pair for summer and am generally drawn to sleek looking aviators (a la Salt, OP) but don't really wanna drop $400.

I've got an oval face: (a) will these work? (b) any experience with build quality?

[​IMG]

http://shop.police.it/en_GB/S8333G-S...N0PTU5ODYz.jsp

3. tylerjbritt

tylerjbritt Active Member

Looking for some eyeglasses. For sunglasses, my go to are these Oliver Peoples:

[​IMG]

Love the shape, but it feels a little redundant getting the same frames again for eyeglasses. These Vue DC frames are amazing, but I don't think they make this particular model anymore.

[​IMG]

Can anyone recommend other P3 style frames that aren't too chunky?

4. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

Lightec is good bang for the buck. Their frames are well make and they are a semi hngeless design. The new ones have rubber temples and carbon fiber temples. Good prices for what you are getting. Considering they are $200-250, they are pretty decent stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to grab a pair.

Thanks for the advice, CityConnection. I went ahead and sprang for a pair of these last week. Wearing them right now, and I love them.

[​IMG]

5. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

I have a round face and Asian ethnicity. Can I pull off these Rayban wayfarer?

[​IMG]

Aside from the above, can you suggest any other sunglasses that will look good on me?

Also, I'm planning to buy a new pair of eyeglasses, any suggestions?

Thanks!

6. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Well-Known Member

Looking for some eyeglasses. For sunglasses, my go to are these Oliver Peoples:

[​IMG]

Love the shape, but it feels a little redundant getting the same frames again for eyeglasses.

Whoa, what are these?

7. CityConnection

CityConnection Well-Known Member

Think I'm gonna grab a pair of Warby Parkers when some cash comes in. I need to go for an eye checkup though, and I'm not sure exactly what numbers I should be asking for to purchase the glasses online. Obviously I need my power on each eye, but is there anything else?

Inter pupillary distance (PD): the distance between your eyes

8. CityConnection

Thanks for the advice, CityConnection. I went ahead and sprang for a pair of these last week. Wearing them right now, and I love them.

[​IMG]

Good stuff!

9. Phiberglass

Phiberglass Well-Known Member

Whoa, what are these?

Oliver Peoples' O'Malley. They brought out the molds from their vintage collection and began reproducing 3 of their previous frames. They have a bunch of vintage colored lenses as well.

10. imnotfat

imnotfat Active Member

Sup guys,

Looking to get a pair of prescription sunglasses now that summer is around. I know it might be tacky..but I don't want to deal with contacts.

My eye sight is -4.00, -.75 and -4.75, -.75

Majority of my glasses is 1.67 HI INDEX...but I don't want to spend so much on a pair of sunglasses.

If I was to use a 1.56, would my lens be TOO thick? Thanks.

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

CityConnection can you hazard at a guess at what the quality of the recently released Gant Rugger eyewear collection would be? It's made by Viva Group: http://www.vivagroup.com/GANTRugger/ The frames are quite cheap, so I imagine the quality can't be that good: http://www.jvi-consult.com/userfiles/GANT_2011.pdf I do like the styles though. *edit* never mind answered the question I posted first, so i'll try another: Are the Crizal range of coatings worth it? In particular Alize vs Avance with Scotchguard. Thanks

12. yang2k4

yang2k4 New Member

Hi CityConnection, I've read close to 50 pages of this thread in the past month (lurking in this forum since one year or so) but I registered just because I wanted to ask you a few questions about B&L I was wondering about the "Transition" technology of the old ray bans by B&L. Why is it that is so hard to find tinted lenses that go from clear to a darker color nowadays? I've even asked a couple of places locally and they said that wasn't possible What is your thought on these models by B&L like the ambermatic or the photogreen,etc. I've read they could go from tinted lear to grey or brown. Does that mean they used to make this "transition" lens in two variation colors and why is it that Ray ban (luxxotica) doesnt have them on their website [​IMG] ?

13. CityConnection

Sup guys,

Looking to get a pair of prescription sunglasses now that summer is around. I know it might be tacky..but I don't want to deal with contacts.

My eye sight is -4.00, -.75 and -4.75, -.75

Majority of my glasses is 1.67 HI INDEX...but I don't want to spend so much on a pair of sunglasses.

If I was to use a 1.56, would my lens be TOO thick? Thanks.

Depends how large/small the are. If you go with a smaller frame, you can get away with a 1.56 without looking terrible. Your right eye should be fine but your left might be a bit thick. Depending on your PD, you should find a frame that is similar to your PD.

For example: If your PD is 64, try to find a frame that is 50-14 or 51-13. Basically 50+14=64, your PD.

That is IDEAL but probably not feasible all the time.

Hope that helps!

14. CityConnection

CityConnection can you hazard at a guess at what the quality of the recently released Gant Rugger eyewear collection would be? It's made by Viva Group: http://www.vivagroup.com/GANTRugger/

The frames are quite cheap, so I imagine the quality can't be that good: http://www.jvi-consult.com/userfiles/GANT_2011.pdf

I do like the styles though.

*edit*

never mind answered the question I posted first, so i'll try another:

Are the Crizal range of coatings worth it? In particular Alize vs Avance with Scotchguard.

Thanks

Viva merchandise is mediocre. I think you can find house brands/ no name at a similar quality build.

Crizal coatings are good, in theory. All coatings are great. Is it worth the extra $150? imho, not really. If you have the money for it, get it. If you need to skip a few lunches, pass over the coatings and don't get it. But the theory behind their coatings is correct. Think of it as a car, any Honda will get you from point A to point B. A Benz will get you there in style. Do you really need a Benz when a Honda will do the job? Yes and no. Same thing wit the coatings. As long as you're getting a decent coating, you shouldn't have to worry about it crazing and scratching.

15. CityConnection

Hi CityConnection, I've read close to 50 pages of this thread in the past month (lurking in this forum since one year or so) but I registered just because I wanted to ask you a few questions about B&L

I was wondering about the "Transition" technology of the old ray bans by B&L. Why is it that is so hard to find tinted lenses that go from clear to a darker color nowadays? I've even asked a couple of places locally and they said that wasn't possible

What is your thought on these models by B&L like the ambermatic or the photogreen,etc. I've read they could go from tinted lear to grey or brown. Does that mean they used to make this "transition" lens in two variation colors and why is it that Ray ban (luxxotica) doesnt have them on their website [​IMG] ?

The problem with photochromatic lenses that go from clear to dark is that they have a lifespan. After the 2 yr mark, you'll find that they don't turn as dark and they don't become perfectly clear. Also, they don't change colors in the car because most windshields have a UV filter. From a business stand point, it makes no sense to make lenses like that. Although, Serengetti makes photochomatic lenses that go from dark to darker. But what you can do is buy a frame and get photochromatic lenses put into them.

16. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

I went into a store over the weekend and they said they had "digital" lenses. What the heck were they talking about? They compared it to looking at an HD image instead of regular TV if you pay this extra fee.

17. CityConnection

I went into a store over the weekend and they said they had "digital" lenses. What the heck were they talking about? They compared it to looking at an HD image instead of regular TV if you pay this extra fee.

Digital or freeform is a word commonly used in optics now a days. It is simple, they create lenses with less distortion so you get a "clear-er" image. They compare it to HD tv because most people understand that HD tv is better than antenna tv. In the same way, digital/freeform lenses will allow you to look out of the lenses with less distortion and see a bit more clear. For crisp vision, they can be beneficial. Imho, for progressives it is a MUST. For single vision, if you have the money, get it, if you're strapped for cash, pass on it because most people can't tell the difference. Mind you, the higher your RX the more benefits you will see because it will reduce the amount of prism on the periphery.

Hope that helps!

18. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

The basics:
    I just got a new prescription and the optomotrist says I have very tiny cataracts. have never cared for anti-reflective coating (tried them once with my only rimless pair) because I don't like the smuge, prism look, I don't like the delicateness with cleaning, the coating can scratch off, and I didn't notice any better vision for night driving).
    Also, another point: I've had Varilux progressive lenses for about 15 years (Comfort and then Physio, I think).

Opinions, please: do you think UV coating are likely to delay cataract growth?
    Opinions about digital lenses, that my optician calls "state of the art." Looks like they can actually be less money than my regular Varilux progressives. Have any of you found disadvantes with the new digital lenses? Apparently I could get them either by Varilux or another brand, which costs slightly less. Then I can get the UV with either type.

So, opinions, please! I have a few days to decide here, as my cracked frame will be replaced soon with another frame and new prescription.[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Final lens decision:

Varilux Physio Enhanced version of high-definition (aka "progressive") lenses,
    made by Essilor of America, and no anti-reflective coating![​IMG]

I'm still not convinced the coating is so useful and features I didn't like
    about it in the past are greatly improved. Perhaps next time. Meanwhile, I
    think the high-definition feature is plenty of a change. At least I'm hoping a
    change for the better.

I'll repeat, though, my same rant of a year ago - that I wish the same
    technological effort it took to continually develop new lenss, and still far
    more, were put into research into eradicating horrible Macular Degeneration
    which my wife has had for eight years now.[​IMG]

20. CityConnection

Final lens decision:

Varilux Physio Enhanced version of high-definition (aka "progressive") lenses,
    made by Essilor of America, and no anti-reflective coating![​IMG]

I'm still not convinced the coating is so useful and feaetures I didn't like
    about it in the past are greatly improved. Perhaps next time. Meanwhile, I
    think the high-definition feature is plenty of a change. At least I'm hoping a
    change for the better.

I'll repeat, though, my same rant of a year ago - that I wish the same
    technological effort it took to continually develop new lenss, and still far
    more, were put into research into eradicating horrible Macular Degeneration
    which my wife has had for eight years now.[​IMG]

I agree. Seems like the only advancements are in Low Vision Aids, as opposed to research. There is big money in selling items but I guess not as much in research. Mac De-gen seems to be becoming more common now (ei. Baby Boomers). But I mean, like any other health related problems, there is no definitive answers. Hopefully, they will find a cure for eye diseases or even preventative measures.

Also, going with digital/free-from lenses is a good idea. You will be getting the most "use" out of your eyes. You're basically getting the best lenses for your best possible vision.