Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. piik

piik New Member

Hey. I'm trying to replace my IC Berlin sunglasses lenses with prescription one. Frame is 8 base frame and my prescription is Left:-2.25D Right:-1.75D PD:61mm. Sungrasses size is 62-12-140. Do you think I can replace them? I may wanna go with transition lenses which change it's shade. I did some research and it seems that there are several type of lenses; polycarbonate, urethan, HOYA trasition, CR-59, Hi-index lenses, and etc. I don't know exactly differences of them. Do you have any suggestion or recommendation?
    Thanks for your time.

2. dilemma

dilemma Active Member

3. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Senior member

CC would you happen to know any reputable optometrists that carry prescription Salt in Southern California?

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

where are you in southern California... there are plenty in san diego

5. itsjustadrian

Haha I guess I should have been more clear. Basically around Los Angeles/Pasadena/Orange County.

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

salt has a store finder on their website...

7. itsjustadrian

salt has a store finder on their website...
    I know that. I just wanted to see if CC had any good recommendations.

8. stewiegriffin

stewiegriffin Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what are those eyeglasses? i want it so bad!

9. Boddington

Boddington Well-Known Member

I havent had any long term experience with them. If you send me a link I could "judge" them based on their frames...

I see that Goldfinch has already been brought up, here are the ones I'm considering, what do you think?

http://www.theyedoctor.com/products/...__product.aspx

10. eclipse75

eclipse75 Active Member

alright, i always get headaches from light. i also tend to be a bit more physical. thus i usually tend to scratch up my shades (which were scratch resistant, but walmart shades) within a few months. i've only dealt with plastic lenses also though.. any brand or route i should go for very scratch resistant and polarized pair of shades?

11. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

Hey. I'm trying to replace my IC Berlin sunglasses lenses with prescription one. Frame is 8 base frame and my prescription is Left:-2.25D Right:-1.75D PD:61mm. Sungrasses size is 62-12-140. Do you think I can replace them? I may wanna go with transition lenses which change it's shade. I did some research and it seems that there are several type of lenses; polycarbonate, urethan, HOYA trasition, CR-59, Hi-index lenses, and etc. I don't know exactly differences of them. Do you have any suggestion or recommendation?
    Thanks for your time.

The different materials all have their pros and cons. Generally, I suggest to stay away from Poly because of its poor optics. Glass shatters so stay away from that too. CR-39 is just regular plastic which is okay. High index is not needed. I would say just to go with a regular surafaced cr39. That should be sufficient.

12. CityConnection

Anyone have any experience with Bevels Specs?
    http://www.contactsandspecs.com/bevel000010500326.html

My local shop has Bevel, Oliver Peoples and Paul Smith to choose from.

I have not had long term experiences with Bevel, but I know it is a popular brand that others may be able to help you out with...

13. CityConnection

CC would you happen to know any reputable optometrists that carry prescription Salt in Southern California?

No idea. I live in the great white north (Canada).

14. CityConnection

I see that Goldfinch has already been brought up, here are the ones I'm considering, what do you think?

http://www.theyedoctor.com/products/...__product.aspx

I cant vouch for their quality but the frame is basically the clubmaster look. Personally, I think there are too many rivets. I would rather have just a simple rivet and the rest black, or just plain black with no rivets. IMO, it has too many things going on. I would rather see it plain. Just my opinion though.

15. CityConnection

alright, i always get headaches from light. i also tend to be a bit more physical. thus i usually tend to scratch up my shades (which were scratch resistant, but walmart shades) within a few months. i've only dealt with plastic lenses also though.. any brand or route i should go for very scratch resistant and polarized pair of shades?

If you are looking for shades try looking into some that are polarized with glass lenses. Glass tends to scratch less, BUT when they break, they shatter. If you have scratches on your lenses go with glass. If you are breaking your lenses, just be more careful and stick with plastic lenses.