Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. Ryan112390

Ryan112390 Member

Try looking into Giorgio Armani, CK and other brands like that. They all made that shape in the early 90s. You might not find as many on Ebay and such because they are not all that popular yet. Also, most of the people who like that style are still wearing them. [​IMG]
    Ok--And was there a particular name or nickname for that style (for example, the glasses that were popular in the 80s were called "Aviators"). What sort of dimensions would they have to have to go from near the eyebrow to just above the nostrils? EDIT: I found a website I think sells something pretty similar: http://eyeglass.com/beaufurt.html is eyeglass.com reputable?

2. flip16

flip16 Member

Anybody know of a similar frame to these?
    [​IMG]

3. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

Ok--And was there a particular name or nickname for that style (for example, the glasses that were popular in the 80s were called "Aviators").

What sort of dimensions would they have to have to go from near the eyebrow to just above the nostrils?

EDIT: I found a website I think sells something pretty similar: http://eyeglass.com/beaufurt.html

is eyeglass.com reputable?

Im not too sure about the name of that style. I dont think there was a definite name for that style.

In terms of eyeglass.com, your guess is as good as mine. I have never had the need to buy online so I dont know. But maybe someone else on SF has tried them. Anyone???

4. CityConnection

Anybody know of a similar frame to these?
    I am quite sure that it is the Hackett frame in gradient. I just sold a pair and it looked quite similar if not the same. PM me for more details.

5. danilo

danilo Senior member

just picked up these sunglasses for $30 new. Any comment on their quality? I don't expect much, but for the price of mall brand imitation kiosk sunglasses I think I got a good deal. Brand is Modern Amusement model is 29's Tortoise. Any comment as to their quality? The hinges are nice and sturdy, the lenses are non-polarized. The style is pretty nice, nothing ground breaking but a good all around style I think. [​IMG] Link to details about the frame http://www.bunkeronline.com/moam29suto.html

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

So I went and got some salt frames. They had some nice options but in the end i chose these... they are getting fitted for lenses atm so no fit pics yet but I thought they looked pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

I like the color, phoenix! If I had been able to find my frames in something like that, I would have been happy. Alas, it was either the color I got, or dark tortoise.

8. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

they work well with my eye color too so I think i like it better than the traditional turtle shell

9. Ryan112390

Ryan112390 Member

I think you are looking for these guys here...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (please excuse the poor pictures, my camera was about to die)

What are the measurements of these; how far would they come down on the face?
    They are the same shape as the ones I want, but would they be as big on the face as these:

[​IMG]

See how the glasses come down to his nose--If those pair (or another similarly shaped pair you have) are like that, I'd gladly buy them from you.

Can you custom design pairs?

10. CityConnection

just picked up these sunglasses for $30 new. Any comment on their quality? I don't expect much, but for the price of mall brand imitation kiosk sunglasses I think I got a good deal.

Brand is Modern Amusement model is 29's Tortoise. Any comment as to their quality? The hinges are nice and sturdy, the lenses are non-polarized. The style is pretty nice, nothing ground breaking but a good all around style I think.

[​IMG]

Link to details about the frame
    http://www.bunkeronline.com/moam29suto.html

You got a really good deal. Modern Amusement is made by the same company as Paul Frank. Pretty good quality for the price and if you got them for 30 that is a great price. I would be happy with that find.

11. willpower

willpower Senior member

So I went and got some salt frames. They had some nice options but in the end i chose these... they are getting fitted for lenses atm so no fit pics yet but I thought they looked pretty good.

I've got Salt prescription sunglasses. Absolutely love them.

12. Sheershucker

Sheershucker Member

What're your thoughts on Goldfinch? I saw a handsome pair of winged tortoiseshell frames and am quite taken with them.

13. danilo

danilo Senior member

You got a really good deal. Modern Amusement is made by the same company as Paul Frank. Pretty good quality for the price and if you got them for 30 that is a great price. I would be happy with that find.

Sweet, I actually picked them up at Marshall's lol, if there was another pair I would have picked them up. As soon as I saw em I got on my iPhone and looked up that style on the internet and saw that they retail for $150 so I figured they'd be descent quality. They fit great and the whole frame has a VERY solid feel especially the hinges, they're like door hinges thick and wide.

And like I said, it's a versatile style I could dress up or down with the classic tortoise pattern.

Thanks for the comment CC

14. CityConnection

What're your thoughts on Goldfinch? I saw a handsome pair of winged tortoiseshell frames and am quite taken with them.

I havent had any long term experience with them. If you send me a link I could "judge" them based on their frames...

15. CityConnection

Sweet, I actually picked them up at Marshall's lol, if there was another pair I would have picked them up. As soon as I saw em I got on my iPhone and looked up that style on the internet and saw that they retail for $150 so I figured they'd be descent quality. They fit great and the whole frame has a VERY solid feel especially the hinges, they're like door hinges thick and wide.

And like I said, it's a versatile style I could dress up or down with the classic tortoise pattern.

Thanks for the comment CC

I'm glad you like them. They have good value for their price. And the quality vs. price is very reasonable. Hope you like them!