Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. winston

winston Senior member

They're not? I mean, look at them. They're not solidly tinted. Of course they're going to block less light. They're still uv coated, and they're still photochromatic, so they do get darker in the sun. They are not polarised, which is what you buy if you want the most sun protection possible. Coincidentally, Oliver Peoples sells polarised lenses. It doesn't make sense to complain that one type of lenses is not the same as a completely different type of lenses.

OK, but I wasn't prepared for just how much brightness came through, or how cheap they seemed.

2. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

Opinion on these?

[​IMG]

Non-douchey Gucci frames exist.

These are basically a variation of the club-masters. Just a different shape and with a gradient lens. IMO, I think club-masters look best on someone dressed in a nice suit who still have a sense of style and a sense of humour. I don't think it looks that nice on people with a "younger" fashion sense wearing it because it is ironic. Thats my opinion though.

3. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

Are there any other cheap glasses sites similar to zenni optical? I would like to find another pair of cheap plastic glasses

4. rayuela

rayuela Senior member

5. rayuela

rayuela Senior member

Sorry, messed up the quoting. You asked for the website for Legre. Here it is: http://www.legre.com/

I was wrong--a lot of their stuff is made in Japan, but the company is American.

I've been checking out a number of independent eyewear shops as you suggested and trying some different brands like Gotti, Anglo American, Salt, Kio Yamato, etc. But I keep going back to a couple of Oliver Peoples tortoise shell frames and think I may go with those. I can't seem to find anything that feels or looks as good at a lower price point.

6. CityConnection

Are there any other cheap glasses sites similar to zenni optical? I would like to find another pair of cheap plastic glasses

Sorry, I cant help much in terms of online sites. I haven't bought anything from any of their sites. From what I hear, some are good and others arent. I cannot personally vouch for any site though, unless you're buying from me :p All jokes aside, I have no direct relationship with any but maybe someone on the forum will let us know of some that they have had success with.

7. CityConnection

Sorry, messed up the quoting. You asked for the website for Legre. Here it is: http://www.legre.com/

I was wrong--a lot of their stuff is made in Japan, but the company is American.

I've been checking out a number of independent eyewear shops as you suggested and trying some different brands like Gotti, Anglo American, Salt, Kio Yamato, etc. But I keep going back to a couple of Oliver Peoples tortoise shell frames and think I may go with those. I can't seem to find anything that feels or looks as good at a lower price point.

Legre: Judging strictly by their site, I would categorize them as being an inexpensive brand that is slightly behind the trend. I know many companies like this. Their "Made in Japen" and Kio Yamato's "Made in Japan" are totally different. If I were you I would not pay more than $100-150 for this brand. They may be made in Japan but most of them are copies of other styles. They are probably stamped with different names when it comes out of Japan.

Oliver People has a small niche market. It is similar to the Sal crowd. You can generalize their market as the "young professional, looking for something trendy, but classical that can be worn in the office and still to the lounge after work". If you find something you like, go for it, because everything you see after it will only be a comparison to that one. my 2cents.

8. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I recently had to replace my old aviators with another new pair and I took a look at both Randolph Engineering and American Optical. Contrary to the common wisdom, they were totally two different animals. FWIW, I compared AO General model with a pair of RE Concorde. I felt the RE was sturdier and of a better make overall and might want to pull the trigger on that. It cost around $90 for the Concorde model.

However, I just want to know if there are any other aviators out there that might be a better option for me. I am able to get, for about 75 bucks, guaranteed authentic Raybans 3025. Is there anything good out there under say $200 with a 6 base curve as I need RX? I can make do with a size 57mm to 61mm.

9. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior member

Which of these 2 frames would you say look better on me? I'm going to turn them into perscription glasses, and it's been hard to find regular frames to fit my face. They're both the persol 2849, but in 2 different sizes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

10. dyzfunctioned

dyzfunctioned Senior member

Okay, apologies in advance for the absolutely terrible pic (store didn't like me taking pics of glasses apparently haha), but here's a pic of me wearing a pair of SALT's I'm considering, let me know what you think CC. Also, if you have any other suggestions to suit my face shape please, please, please, offer them up [​IMG] Thanks!

[​IMG]

11. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

^ definately the pair in the top picture. the other ones look huge on you.

12. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior member

^ definately the pair in the top picture. the other ones look huge on you.

Thanks! Would you suggest that same shape or perhaps a different one for my facial shape?

13. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

What style of frame would you recommend for someone with a face shaped like mine?
    [​IMG]

14. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Any suggestions for frames similar to these?

[​IMG]
    http://hotsunglass.co.kr/front/php/p...isplay_group=1

They're listed as Oliver Peoples "Gent" model I believe, but I've never seen them in the US. As far as I can tell they're basically the same shape as the Riley model I currently wear but made of titanium. I love the shape of my Riley's but I'd also really like to get a pair of titanium frames.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Would anyone be interested in buying these off me at a discount? I've worn then for a few days at most, and I don't think I'll be able to get them to sit right on my face. [​IMG]