• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask me about Eyewear!

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love this frame from Native Sons. Would like these to work as sunglasses, which means I’ll need to replace the lenses.

I know some local shops will cut custom lenses.

Is there any real difference in lens quality, other than polarized vs non polarized? Is there a recommended shop for lenses?

Any suggestions on lens color that would work with a clear frame?
I highly recommend the SunglassFix for getting new sunglass lenses into other frames. I've gotten several pairs of lenses from them. They are relatively inexpensive but the quality is high. The only downside is that they are in Australia, so it does take a few weeks. https://www.thesunglassfix.com/Sunglass-Replacement-Lenses-with-Free-Shipping-Worldwide

ramsker

Reaction score
Love this frame from Native Sons. Would like these to work as sunglasses, which means I’ll need to replace the lenses.

I know some local shops will cut custom lenses.

Is there any real difference in lens quality, other than polarized vs non polarized? Is there a recommended shop for lenses?

Any suggestions on lens color that would work with a clear frame?
I am really interested in Native Sons. What would you compare them to quality and feel wise to other brands that you have experience with?

Also, I would highly recommend tajima-direct.com for lenses. A bit pricier than most mail in services, but top notch lenses.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in Native Sons. What would you compare them to quality and feel wise to other brands that you have experience with?

Also, I would highly recommend tajima-direct.com for lenses. A bit pricier than most mail in services, but top notch lenses.
This pair is great. Acetate is lightweight. Nice details. Fit is great.

Had a local shop put in polarized brown lenses. Happy with the result.

1C383E44-F872-4E7E-84B6-2D28F452D9B7.jpeg

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Seattle next week for some hiking but will stay in the city for a few nights. Found a shop that carries Eyevan sunglasses and thought I would check them out.

I have the MacDougal Sun which I really love:

1627562371144.png

I was thinking of another pair in Tortoise or Smoke:

1627562476055.png

1627562762513.png

Anyone have a recommendation on similar glasses? I prefer thinner, lighter frames and chunky stuff like JMM, while it looks pretty cool, is just not for me. Moscot Lemtosh is as chunky as I can get. I have a few pair of those, nice stuff. I like Oliver Peoples but their stuff is generally too small for me. The Cary Grant and Gregory Peck styles are cool but I need a 49mm and those are too small.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
JMM Enzo calling my name these days!
Do you have an idea how heavy are the frames by JMM. I would expect them to be quite heavier than average acetate sunglasses since JMM insists on making theirs super thick. I get it that this is The Look they are going for and I like the smaller 47mm frames they make, but the weight....

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have an idea how heavy are the frames by JMM. I would expect them to be quite heavier than average acetate sunglasses since JMM insists on making theirs super thick. I get it that this is The Look they are going for and I like the smaller 47mm frames they make, but the weight....
I have the Enzos, and they are thick and heavy.
But if you have them adjusted correctly, it's not an issue. I find mine comfortable.

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Seattle next week for some hiking but will stay in the city for a few nights. Found a shop that carries Eyevan sunglasses and thought I would check them out.

I have the MacDougal Sun which I really love:

View attachment 1645908

I was thinking of another pair in Tortoise or Smoke:

View attachment 1645910
View attachment 1645913

Anyone have a recommendation on similar glasses? I prefer thinner, lighter frames and chunky stuff like JMM, while it looks pretty cool, is just not for me. Moscot Lemtosh is as chunky as I can get. I have a few pair of those, nice stuff. I like Oliver Peoples but their stuff is generally too small for me. The Cary Grant and Gregory Peck styles are cool but I need a 49mm and those are too small.
That is a really great frame. But maybe get another design for the sake of variety.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to try that brand in person one day. Stuff looks pretty good.
My last two pair of reading glasses are Masunaga. They make excellent eyewear.

IMG_2930.jpg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of yours are really nice @smittycl. I like very much Eyevan and Four Nines but difficult to find here. Maybe you can check these two models from Mykita which I like for a more funky/casual wear. The Massunagas are really nice too, but in same style that Lemtosh or Cary Grant (much bigger than Lemtosh).
Screenshot_20210703-230800_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210703-224255_Chrome.jpg

Bukowskin

Reaction score
Anyone own any Rigards frames and can speak on their quality/experience? I'm very interested in some of the copper frames but am unsure as to how they wear/develop over time.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are significantly heavier than other frames. Not to say they can't be comfortable, but if the fit isn't just right you'll definitely notice the heft on the heavier models. I have a mixed titanium/acetate JMM model that is not significantly heavier than my non JMM glasses, but the Taos I own are significantly weightier.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I thought they would be heavy. Even regular RB or OP glasses leave marks on my nose. JMM would be hard pass for me on the weight grounds.

yunBW

Reaction score
Can anyone in the Socal area recommend me some optical stores (LA or OC)? I'm looking to buy my first pair of frames, but still not sure what exactly I'm looking for. it would be great if the store carries a large variety of frames from different brands.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.