• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

shipbroker

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm shopping for a new pair of frames. Unfortunately I would need a pair of optical frames that have clip on shades. Separate prescription sunglasses are a bit of an annoyance. I hate having to juggle two pairs of frames.

Of the decent brands I see DITA has clip-ons but only for the Buckeye and Ash models which don't really tickle my fancy.

I've had issues with fit with most glasses without nose pads. Though I haven't tried any higher end brands like DITA before. I've had Ray Ban Wayfarer opticals which kept sliding down my nose all the time. I've had much better luck with fit with Tag Heur and Silhouette rimless glasses - I suspect because of their light weight and nose pads. However rimless glasses have led to nasty reflections sometimes given the uncovered portion of the lenses. Also rimless glasses don't really look stylish - for lack of a better word.

I've seen some Tom Ford models that look nice with keyhole bridges and clip on shades. Though I'm not sure about the quality for the price.

My budget for the very top end would be something like DITA but not more. Better if its more affordable for similar levels of quality as I'm pretty hard on my glasses with a toddler and the gym/sports really testing durability.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garrett Leight has clip on sunglasses for quite a few of their frames

shipbroker

Reaction score
Garrett Leight has clip on sunglasses for quite a few of their frames

Great thanks! Just saw their site. lots of clip on options! they're made in china though. but I presume quality is decent i.e. better than luxottica stuff?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thanks! Just saw their site. lots of clip on options! they're made in china though. but I presume quality is decent i.e. better than luxottica stuff?

Luxottica has different tiers with Oliver Peoples being in their highest tier. I'd say GL quality is on par with that.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@shipbroker the issues you're having with the nose pieces seem like you're either getting a pair that's wider than you need, or have an asymmetrical level so maybe the adjustable set is more appropriate for you. That will be for you and you optometrist to work through.

Tom Ford models are OK and quality on par with oliver peoples IMO. I've had about 4-5 pairs that I purchased at heavy discount online and then added the lenses from an optometrist, it's worked out well every time. I wouldn't want to think about something you wear on your face all day every day as bang-for-buck though. Get what works best for you.

FWIW I used to have this NDG model from oliver peoples and used the clip on
ndg-bk-gmclip_g15_1.jpg

Also look into Thom Browne (underrated here IMO - they are manufactured by DITA). This pair has both the clip ons and adjustable nose pieces.
504054554_2_SunglassesFrontQtr

shipbroker

Reaction score
@shipbroker the issues you're having with the nose pieces seem like you're either getting a pair that's wider than you need, or have an asymmetrical level so maybe the adjustable set is more appropriate for you. That will be for you and you optometrist to work through.

Tom Ford models are OK and quality on par with oliver peoples IMO. I've had about 4-5 pairs that I purchased at heavy discount online and then added the lenses from an optometrist, it's worked out well every time. I wouldn't want to think about something you wear on your face all day every day as bang-for-buck though. Get what works best for you.

FWIW I used to have this NDG model from oliver peoples and used the clip on
ndg-bk-gmclip_g15_1.jpg

Also look into Thom Browne (underrated here IMO - they are manufactured by DITA). This pair has both the clip ons and adjustable nose pieces.
504054554_2_SunglassesFrontQtr

troika! thanks a million for your reply. that's great to hear that Tom Ford is at least on par with OP. If you could share where you bought them online I would highly appreciate it! If links are not allowed in public then you could DM me if its not too much trouble. I've seen some sites that carry TF frames in the 100-150 GBP range but not sure if their trust worthy.

Thanks for the heads up on Thom Browne. I've seen them recommended but didn't know DITA made them. They should great quality then! Though quick question for you is DITA/Thom Brown etc a big step up from OP/Tom Ford? Also what do you think of Cutler and Gross? I see their made in Italy but not sure if its a licensing deal or something.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
troika! thanks a million for your reply. that's great to hear that Tom Ford is at least on par with OP. If you could share where you bought them online I would highly appreciate it! If links are not allowed in public then you could DM me if its not too much trouble. I've seen some sites that carry TF frames in the 100-150 GBP range but not sure if their trust worthy.

Thanks for the heads up on Thom Browne. I've seen them recommended but didn't know DITA made them. They should great quality then! Though quick question for you is DITA/Thom Brown etc a big step up from OP/Tom Ford? Also what do you think of Cutler and Gross? I see their made in Italy but not sure if its a licensing deal or something.

I searched around for the TF model I wanted and found them thru ebay, fashion sites (ssense and the like), or even just gilt/massdrop (I bought some very nice 70s style ones from them recently). Ended up paying ~$180 for the frames on average which ended up being about half the cost of going through an optometrist directly, even with insurance. The only catch is (may be for US only) because you didn't get the frames directly from the same place as the lenses, for liability reasons they don't take responsibility for damaging the frames during crafting, however this is very rare and I've never had a problem with this.

I have had dita sequoias for both glasses and sunnies and am wearing moscot lemtosh currently - my fiancée alternates between two pairs of ditas right now. I can't speak to cutler & Goss firsthand so others will have to chime in, but in my experience dita is a huge step up from anything Luxottica, I highly recommend it. I'd put moscot to be somewhere in between tf/op and dita, probly closer to the Luxottica brands tbh.

I have recommended these brands in the past, but if you're looking for some other fantastic quality brands, Jacques Marie Mage and Masahiromaruyama are excellent. My next pair will be from one of those two.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@troika @dotcomzzz @hobojones so i gave Dita statesmen 3 a shot and while the glasses were awesome they were just plain too big for my face (my optometrist had a pair luckily). I think i can work them better as sunglasses. I stopped by VEO optics, and a few other stores which names i forget. On the other hadn't i found something similar but not as frame heavy from Masunaga, ny life which work well, gonna try that. I know you guys like thicker frames and etc but below works for me. Worst case scenario i'll get something new next year.

NY-LIFE_49.jpg

55_NY-LIFE.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@troika @dotcomzzz @hobojones so i gave Dita statesmen 3 a shot and while the glasses were awesome they were just plain too big for my face (my optometrist had a pair luckily). I think i can work them better as sunglasses. I stopped by VEO optics, and a few other stores which names i forget. On the other hadn't i found something similar but not as frame heavy from Masunaga, ny life which work well, gonna try that. I know you guys like thicker frames and etc but below works for me. Worst case scenario i'll get something new next year.

NY-LIFE_49.jpg

55_NY-LIFE.jpg

The pair shown here is light-years better than the original one you referred to. This one has more character (but not too much) and the right details in contrasting visual dynamics in material, color, texture, and shape while still being subdued. It's much less generic than the first part you posted. Even just the more pronounced bottom of the half frame give off a different feel. You're definitely on the right track!

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pair shown here is light-years better than the original one you referred to. This one has more character (but not too much) and the right details in contrasting visual dynamics in material, color, texture, and shape while still being subdued. It's much less generic than the first part you posted. Even just the more pronounced bottom of the half frame give off a different feel. You're definitely on the right track!

appreciate that. quite honestly i want the dita statesman 3 but the edges of the frame stuck out so much that it didnt work. Also its difficult where i want to look decent and like the frames. Lots of opinions.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are infinitely better than the ones you first posted @sinnedk. All around more interesting without being too loud or gaudy. Solid pair of frames.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads