1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. lol

lol Member

IMHO, they are not.

2. lol

lol Member

IMHO, the top looks better.

3. lol

lol Member

Good suggestions, and also Mikli and Blake Kuwahara.

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I don't think of Kuwaharas as classic style. They are pretty damn funky. Almost bought a pair the other weekend but the stems werent long enough.

5. lol

lol Member

So you mean funky cannot be classic. I agree most of Kuwaharas are funky. I just picked a pair of Kuwahara out of three possible choices from Gold & Wood,
    Thom Browne, and Kuwahara. At the end, the Kuwahara pair I picked offered something different but not too overboard. I will post their pic(s) when I get them
    from the optometrist.

Best Regards,

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  6. lol

lol Member

OK! My Kuwahara is Fowler in antique brown as shown in the stock pic. here.

[​IMG]

7. Noub

Noub New Member

Might be a stupid question, but I've been into Gentle Monster recently and am wondering if it were possible/how hard it'd be to get prescription lenses for any of their sunglasses frames given their colours and shapes etc

8. lol

lol Member

Speaking from my own experience as a consumer, I don't think it is hard at all for you to get prescription lenses for those frames.
    The only important thing is you have to pay more (maybe a lot more) for the lenses. You have to pay for the lenses (depended on
    the material you choose) and all the coatings you want, progressive for multi-focal, polarized, and over size lenses if applicable.
    Those may add up to a substantial sum if you want to have good lenses that have all the features.
    By the way, there are some nice and stand out frames on the website, so good luck on your search.

9. Jared7

Jared7 Senior member

If you're looking at that style I would seriously consider the Fairmount by Cult Eyewear. Having owned everything from vintage Tart Arnels, Dolabany's and Moscots, the Cult Eyewear frames are far more accurate in terms of shape, thickness and overall aesthetics to the vintage frames. In fact the owner actually went to great lengths to track down James Dean's eyeglasses and reproduced them to a T. I own 2 pairs myself in demi-amber and black. They also come in 46mm which would work for you.

https://www.cultframes.com/collections/vintage_eyeglass_frames-fairmount
    PS. They're on sale at the moment at either $125/$175 depending on colour

[​IMG]

10. Noub

Noub New Member

Thanks! The only other thing is, would it be best to get the lenses done at the same place that sells the frames? Like if I were to just get the frames somewhere would I be able to bring that to any (good/decent) optical store and have it done?

11. plot

plot Senior member

I purchased a pair of these when looking for my second pair of eyeglasses. For the sale price the quality is good, but don't buy them at MSRP, they're not comparable to brands at that price point (SALT, Oliver Peoples, Moscot, Barton Perreira). I'd say the quality is on par with Warby Parker. Perhaps it was a one off, but on mine the rivets were not set perfectly, and finishing wasn't great. Ultimately I ended up returning them.

12. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

^^ Those look like Tart Arnels

http://www.tartoptical.com/style.php

I had a pair that lasted me about six years. Excellent frames, very well made. But not produced anymore. You can still find deadstocks on eBay, but they're pricey, somewhere around 450-500 when I bought mine.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  13. lol

lol Member

Honestly, I wish I know the answer to your question, but I just don't, seriously.

14. 300zxtt8

300zxtt8 Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation will look into it.

15. 300zxtt8

300zxtt8 Active Member

Hi! Came across this while browsing, maybe you may like it. Looks pretty well built and it's low cost. Here the link: New TR90 men women male female optical frame,eyeglasses,eyewear frame,eye glasses,spectacles frame,oculos http://s.aliexpress.com/bUjyE7bA (from AliExpress Android)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  16. Jared7

Jared7 Senior member

Honestly can't say I've experienced this from the 2 pairs I own. The acetate is rich and glossy, the rivets are shaped quite nicely and arms secured with strong 7 barrel hinges.

17. pl0nky

pl0nky Senior member

Hey sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I just found out about yellow plus frames and saw a pair I liked. Would any one know how i would go about purchasing them? Thanks

18. lol

lol Member

As promised, here is my Kuwahara Fowler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. lol

lol Member

Does anyone know the brand and model for this pair of glasses? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]