• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Skim

Reaction score
Thinking about getting some new frames, mostly just need glasses for in class (reading the whiteboard without them is impossible).

Also what do you think of what I currently wear? Ray-Ban Clubmaster's with tortoise shell and silver underframe:

Here is me for my face shape:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

IMO, "hipsters" wear low quality fashionable disposable frames. Step up your game and get something that is well made and you're golden.
Is this you in the picture? If so, or if youe complexion is similar, I don't see a problem with them. Crystal is a real hit or miss, depending on your skin tone.

You are correct, the temples are a bit short. I didn't notice it. Slightly longer temples would be a better fit though.

Actually that was a sample photo of what Crystal eyewear would look like. My photo is 2-3 posts above.
I think I will dry for a dark gray or greyish brown colored frame. I want o avoid black.

I thought about half frames as well but it might be dated for my young face, and also may exaggerate my brows not in a good way.

Last edited:

Totakeke

Reaction score
Is it worth to upgrade from 1.6 to 1.67 index for 35? Also, I haven't heard much positive comments on coatings, any idea if it's actually a good idea to get coatings like anti-glare, anti-scratch, UV, and easyclean?

lj1212

Reaction score
anyone here know where i can find a good pair of oliver peoples mp-2 with the clip on sun glasses? i really like the etching on these! and they're pretty hard to find... i'm currently wearing dita officials in black and gold but i kinda want to own a pair of retroish ones as well

jingerBRead

Reaction score
I've been wanting to buy some readers with non rx lenses. I don't need them but I like the look of them.

Anywhere online to look at these? I tried searching this thread but I didn't come with anything on non rx.

Any help appreciated.

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Can you tell me what these semi-rimless glasses Bill Barton (Prez of the glasses brand/manufacturer Barton Perreira) is?
115009554_8768.jpg
Thank you very much for your diagnosis. I really like these glasses, but I don't see them on the Barton Perreira site. Mr. Barton previously worked for Oliver Peoples, so its possibly one of their frames (but why would he wear a competitor's frames?)

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Hello, I am very interested in finding out what the frames below are. Bill Barton (of Barton Perreira) is the guy wearing the glasses. I checked Barton Perreira's current inventory and these frames don't appear on their site. He previously worked for Oliver Peoples, so its possible its one of their frames...but why would he wear a competitor?

115009554_8768.jpg

ihavezippers

Reaction score
I don't see these frames on the Oliver Peoples site either, fyi. Please help, love these frames.

dharmach

Reaction score
hi CityConnection,

I am looking for prescription glasses which are light weight, metal (titanium?) and full rimed. I liked some of the frames from Lindberg and Reykjavik but the problem is that they only fit on plastic lenses. I want frames which can fit on glass lenses. Would you please suggest some good quality brands? By the way, I do not need thick glasses for my prescription.

Thanks for your help.

ihavezippers

Reaction score
They look kind of similar to Lindberg Spirit Titanium frames, but not really---the hinged stems aren't right, and really the frames are subtlely different---Barton's looks to be semi-rimless whereas the Lindbergs appear to rimmed completely.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got these. Anyone know anything about them? (Calvin Kleins from the 80s)

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Hoping the squeaky wheel mantra holds true here---I continue to look for Bill Barton's glasses (see above pictures). It looks very similar to some of the Fred rimless models I have seen, but I have not seen any with that exact lens shape (but see the Fred La Parisienne F2---aside from the lens, looks almost identical).

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Hi, I think the Fred Rimless La Parisienne model is close enough if I can get a lens shape more similar to that pictured. Since the frames are rimless, does it matter what shape the lenses are? I.e., even though the pictures of Fred Rimless La Parisiennes I have seen show a more rectangular shape lens, could I have those lenses replaced with a rounder lens?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, I think the Fred Rimless La Parisienne model is close enough if I can get a lens shape more similar to that pictured.  Since the frames are rimless, does it matter what shape the lenses are?  I.e., even though the pictures of Fred Rimless La Parisiennes I have seen show a more rectangular shape lens, could I have those lenses replaced with a rounder lens?

I was just thinking about some Fred's instead of doing the Cartier thing.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the frames that Sam Waterston is wearing in the new HBO series Newsroom?

Hard to find pictures of him wearing them online though :(

0625_sam-waterston_ob.jpg

charlie-skinner-sam-waterston-saving-television-journalism-and-taking-down-a-high-school-student-via-online-poker-what-a-hero.jpg%3Fw%3D630

Newsroom-will-charlie-takedown.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads