• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Green Lantern

Reaction score

Here we go!

blindAsAbat

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on buying lenses for my glasses. I've decided on the Oliver Peoples Denison glasses in matte black (Size: Large 53-17-135-33-145 http://www.contactsandspecs.com/oliver-peoples-eyeglasses/oliver-peoples-eyewear-denison-10773.aspx) and was a little stunned when they recommended lenses (1.74 high index from Oliver Peoples) that cost $500 in addition to the cost of the frames! I then wandered into an optician in Chinatown where they recommended the 1.67 index lenses for $170 (offered the 1.74 for $300). My prescription is pretty bad: OD -7.0; OS -8.0 - 0.5 x 160 and my PD is 0.69. Will I be able to tell the difference between the 1.74 and the 1.67 for my prescription in those frames? And should I be concerned about the quality of lenses at that price from a random eyeglasses shop in Chinatown? One of the reasons I'm buying new glasses is I got cheapo lenses on my last pair several years ago and regretted it because they are so thick, but I don't want to spend an extra $130 for no real reason... Thanks for your advice.

nineohtoo

Reaction score
^I don't know how to answer your question, but I happen to be interested in the same frame. I love how they look and fit on me, but I'm not entirely thrilled with them. While they don't feel cheap, I can't help but feel like I'm paying too much for what they are. I feel like it makes sense to just buy contacts and occasionally wear my old glasses. Can anyone make a suggestion of something pretty similar to this style(matte black is a must) and size, but with maybe a better hinge design or something? Or am I asking for too much for acetate? Thanks!

Oliver-Peoples-Eyewear-Denison_10773.jpg

Last edited:

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
http://tinypic.com/r/scc26p/6

Got these vintage B&L Wayfarers from eBay awhile back.
How's the fit? I never know how Wayfarers should fit. If it's not good, what other sunglasses could I try to fit my face better?

Not sure on sizing on this either.

peerless

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to get a lens with an index of 1·67 for a frame with a base curve of 7 for single vision. However, I am having difficulty finding a reliable answer from several opticians that I have visited as to what product I should choose such that I will have no peripheral distortions. Apparently, everyone else’s product is either fake or won’t work except the current one that I am being shown at any given optical store.

From what I could gather from Nikon’s online materials, SeeStyle is only available for specific base curves of 3, 5, an 8, making it unsuitable for my frame. SeeMax talks a lot about using a double-aspheric design to make as flat a curve as possible, which again is contrary to what I am looking for. However, there are various opticians for each that vehemently insist that only it can be made to fit my glasses without distortions. Aren’t there any digital, free-form lens designs that can accommodate an arbitrary base curve and offer a coating to reduce blue light in the likes of SeeCoat Blue?

olson1

Reaction score
Im hoping some one can help me here...

Im planing on buying a pair of tortoise moscot lemtosh tonight, but dont have a good feeling on the authenticity - seller says they were purchased from a licensed retailer but Im suspicious since he has a few different sizes. Does anyone have any quick advice on spotting fakes, Especially tortoise ones? Are fake tortoise not as easy to fake as the black ones?

Last edited:

filcol

Reaction score
What do you think of those? I have a small oval face, short blond hair

Last edited:

shipbroker

Reaction score
What would you recommend for a young guy working in a relatively casual office. Mostly
Dress shirts and trousers with brown loafers on. I'm a portly fella with a round face and I've been told drama with sharp rectangles would help define my face. Brown skin tone but I would like a tortoise shell color maybe a darker one? Please advise. I'm based in Singapore unfortunately and only mass market or no names are available at brick and mortar stores. Had ray ban wayfarers made into prescription glasses but they kept sliding off due to the weight and since they got bent out of shape (am hard on glasses) the problem got worse. They also looked kinda goofy on me. I hear TR90 is a light and strong but am not too sure how to identify them in the stores.

kalye

Reaction score
City connection, some help on the best maker of wire frames?

Broder

Reaction score
I have used a pair of Miltzen by Moscot for a while now and I couldn't have been happier, I think they fit my facial structures, my personality and my style very well. Now, when summer finally has come, I would really need a pair of sunglasses, preferably a pair of clip-ons (if there is something that works with the 'Miltzen'). Where and what should I look for?

Tank88

Reaction score
What is your view on Monoqool? The hinge design reminds me of the Lindberg Air Titanium I used to have. I am attracted by the German (industrial) and Danish (clean, simple) designs and have owned Mykita and IC Berlin. Currently I'm looking at either Monoqool NXT or Markus T Me collection. I like my next frame to have a bit of volume but lightness is also paramount to me. Would appreciate your opinion.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of a fastidious perfectionist - sometimes obsessive - and I like my
glasses to look straight. It also might bother me if, when I put them down,
either rightside up or upside down, if the earpieces/temples do not touch the
surface. I've been told by opticians no human face is symmetrical so there's no
reason to expect a frame to be perfectly level to be ideal for the individual.
Other opticians seem to go along with the idea the earpieces, when the frame is
on a table or counter, should each touch the surface.

With my current Lunor frames I've had them perfect level, both rightside up and
upside down, when lying on a surface. At the moment, however, they seem to look
fairly straight on my face but, from my perspective, the right temple is higher
than the left - it doesn't touch the surface when I put the frame on a surface
rightside up. However, if the frame is upside down, the temples do indeed touch
my desktop. I went for months not having the frame adjusted but recently I
noticed one side did come out higher than the other, so I had an optician adjust
them, only to find after I walked out the right side is still higher. I had the
frame adjusted three times since by different opticians and, when they finished,
the right side was still higher (though the last time, only, the temples both
touch the surface when the frame is upside down. I also noticed the optician
tested the level with the frame rightsie up but not upside down.

So is that what opticians are instructed to do - check that the frame is level
rightside up (only)? Or only check the frame on the person's face - checking the
proximity with the ears, etc? As usual, my ears typically hurt or itch at least
when I wear the frame a while though, as I've written here, I think some of this
has to do with my ears becoming more sensitive in recent years.:evolve:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads