1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. magicalporks

magicalporks Senior member

Looking at getting some new frames again, anyone know of anything similar to these face a face ones that aren't pushing $600? as much as I like em, that's probably a bit more than I'm inclined to spend on glasses right now

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Hey, an eyeware thread. :)

I have always found the round pads on my Corona('s) quite comfortable. Never had irritation or pressure spots.

3. unsuitable

unsuitable Well-Known Member

I have never worn glasses or needed them beyond sunglasses or shooting glasses. I'm middle aged now and I need readers.

I work around a campus where I am inside and outside all day long. I dislike the idea of 2 pair of glasses cluttering up my jacket or bag.

I want a pair of readers that are Photo-chromatic and progressive bifocals. In other words, glasses that are readers below and no adjustment up top. My friend who is a pilot has some of these and he swears by them.

If I find a frame that I like where is the best place (probably online) to get Photochromatic progressive reader lenses for my frames?

My frame worries are compounded by a large head. So I am hoping to disentangle the drama of finding a wide frame from the drama of getting my "one pair to rule them all" - glasses that I can use as readers and sunglasses (when walking around).

Thank you

4. Brown Corduroy

Brown Corduroy New Member

Longtime wearer of glasses. I've been wearing Cutler and Gross for my last 2 frames going back 8 years. Still love what I've been wearing but feel I'm overdo for a change.

After learning about Kadoya Jinjiro glasses, I've been trying to find more info about them. They make frames using old-school celluloid. Know a little about the material. Mostly that it is very flammable. And that it can get brittle over time.

Do you have any experience with celluloid frames in general, new or vintage? How do they hold up? Do they require special handling or care? And do you know anything specific about KJ frames? Do they do something to the celluloid that they use to overcome the material's drawbacks?

Thanks.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Looking for frames with small lens (very strong prescription) and longer temples (7 5/8th inch hat size). Any suggestions? I'd settle just for a recommendation of quality frames that I can get with longer temples.

6. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who experienced with Porsche Design glasses?

7. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Senior member

Good quality, but the designs are not too my taste. Often overly square and large.

1 person likes this.
  8. nightic

nightic Senior member

Pretty good - Manufactured by Rodenstock.
    Nothing special but some nice finishes (at least on previous Ti models).
    Usually to be found at a discount online but beware as fakes have become more abundant.

1 person likes this.
  9. hobojones

hobojones Senior member

Anyone able to help me find frames similar to these in style?
    [​IMG]

Want to keep it around 200 or less. Looking for the metal bridge and the rounded lenses in particular. Many thanks in advance.

10. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I just bought Oliver people's reeves on eBay for under 200

11. Dicky Dicardo

Dicky Dicardo Well-Known Member

Shuron has more size options than most; but they don't have a lot of real small lens frames. Check out the Freeway at the site below. That could work for you as the thicker frame could hide a thick lens, especially if you go with Hi-Index. The frames are moderately priced and are of great quality.

http://optometristattic.com/PLASTIC_FRAMES.htm

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So I missed the Mr. Porter x Cutler & Gross x Kingsman collab frames - mostly because the movie looked like shit and I didn't bother to watch anything related to it until the collection was finished.

[​IMG]

I like the 60s vibe, the slight modern shaping, and the drop temple. If these were for sale, I'd just buy them. Any suggestions for an alternative?

13. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Is there much discussion of budget eyewear options around these parts. This is probably stupid on account of how overpriced and oversized my wardrobe is, but I hardly ever wear my glasses so I don't feel like ponying up for Oliver Peoples NDG-1s or whatever. I tried on the Warby Parker Nash model, and while they fit my face really well, I didn't like the color options (crystal, greystone, and whiskey tortoise).

[​IMG]

Anybody know of something similar but with the frame in a solid color, ideally something I could get at an optometrist or otherwise buy in-person rather than online?

14. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Has anyone tried single vision high definition / free form lenses? I have a pretty high prescription (-9.00, +1.25, 90) and have been wearing contacts all my life. From what I've researched it helps with the fish bowl effect, peripheral distortion, glare and is also thinner than regular lenses. Is it really as good as they say? Also for those with high prescriptions, were you advised to choose smaller frame sizes?

15. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

masunaga

GMS800

GMS-807

http://coverchord.com/eshop/items/VAYM-O2303019/index_en.html

-----------------------
    any suggestions for a round-ish frame for a big face? preferably light and black

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  16. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

More than $200 but Dior Homme.

17. CityConnection

I haven't been on here too much because I've been busy with life. But, if you enjoy well crafted eyewear, follow me on instagram @throughaspectacle.

1 person likes this.
  18. CityConnection

Transitions is actually a brand. You use facial tissue NOT kleenex. Same thing.

Transitions turns the darkest and become the most clear. Although, they aren't going to be like the commercials. Indoors, they'll still have a bit of color. If you work in sales, work with clients or customers, its probably not the best thing.

19. CityConnection

"high definition" is a gimmicky term. Free form or digital surface is what you're looking for. As well, they are not all designed the same. We all have laptops, which are great, but not all of them function as well as the next. Same thing with the digital lenses. It is the computer program that makes them good or bad. For instance, Hakim (in Canada), Pearl Vision and Lens Crafters makes house brand "high definition" lenses and they are junk. Don't bother with Hakim, at all, they bought old technology machines and software, which defeats the purpose of "new technology".

In any case, with your RX, you will see a good difference in vision. It will help your peripheral vision, the lenses will come out a "bit" thinner and so it will be lighter as well. But the biggest improvement over regular lenses will be the peripheral vision.

As for the frame, you can pick any size frame. With the true digital lenses, they will make several measurements to customize the lenses for you, in your rx, into that frame.