1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

More of a trade secret, but you take a rubbber tubing and wrap the temple. When it heats up, it will melt onto the frame causing a semi permanent finish.

2. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

That's great to know, especially as I only wear them a few times a week!

Thanks for the info:)

3. accordion

accordion Senior member

Are there any good non asian brands that carry asian fitted glasses?

4. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

See post 2474. Those are some.

5. accordion

accordion Senior member

thanks, any general advice for lenses? I have bad eyes (-7.0) and would prefer thinner lenses, will get anti-glare coating as well, anything else or brands I should be looking for?

6. lim

lim New Member

Hey CC

Thank you for taking the time to reply my last post.

Following further visits to my optician I was made to understand that the brand Yellows Plus is a notch higher then Masunaga glasses in terms of the quality of finishes?

Cheers:D

7. masshi

masshi Senior member

Gross question, but CC, how do you recommend wiping the oil off of our frames (for those of us with oily skin)?

I've been using a t-shirt and I've noticed that some of the sheen/lacquer in the nose "pad" area of my Ray-Bans has been wiped off and is now matte - maybe I'm just wiping too hard?

Actually, is it safe to just run them under water or wash them or something? Or will the metal parts rust?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Active Member

The higher the refractive index, the thinner the lens (and generally speaking, the more expensive).

1.74 index would be the thinnest followed by 1.67 index. Many brands make lenses in these indexes. The anti reflective and anti scratch coatings will also have a big impact on the price.

You can also buy polycarbonate (1.59 index), however, many experience chromatic aberration in stronger prescriptions made from poly due to its relatively low ABBE value (a whole other discussion).

The size of the frame also has an impact on a high minus prescription. Picking a frame that is either too large or is made from thin metal can make the lenses look thick. An aspheric lens design with taper at the edge can also help make the lens look thinner.

Regarding brands, you will hear fans of every major brand whether that be Essilor, Zeiss, Hoya, Nikon, Kodak, etc. If you are a single vision wearer, you will not be able to tell a big difference unless you upgrade to a digital free from lens.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  9. accordion

accordion Senior member

Thanks for the help, ordered a pair of Kio Yamato XOs today.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  10. gamblor

gamblor Senior member

Hello,

Are there any better quality alternatives for sunglasses that provide full protection? I use Noir as they offer brow, side, and bottom coverage without limiting vision. They are also made of cheap plastic and could be styled sharper.

[​IMG]

11. jcfunkeln

jcfunkeln New Member

Hi I am having trouble identifying these OP Zukos.

I am unclear of their authenticity and if they are fake or not.

Can anyone tell? There are many pictures provided.

12. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Here are my own (for TV only), FRED OF PARIS "S.Lucie" platinum plated rimless glasses, set at each temple with a pretty large rosé cut real diamond!

Next eye test: next Monday, but I feel my eyesight has improved over the last 4 years and that I'll be told I don't need to wear them at all!:mad:

No, they are hard to get hold off and Definitely Not for kopping off me![​IMG]

13. accordion

accordion Senior member

I'm deciding between a $600 pair (lenses included) of Kio Yamatos OXs and whether or not to try Warby Parker which are priced at around $100. I know I would have to try the Warby Parker's on in person through online delivery and then send them back, etc. But in general if I find a style I like from Warby, are Kios worth 6x the price? Also most of the price of the Kios are the lenses, are lenses the same wherever I get them?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  14. masshi

masshi Senior member

warbys are $100 including the lenses

they're crap

15. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

What are some better alternatives around <$100 then?

16. accordion

accordion Senior member

can you elaborate

17. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Cheap is cheap...glasses rnt something to really skimp out on imo.

18. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Active Member

It is not that simple. I agree Warby Parker glasses are somewhat over rated. And they claim poly lenses are something special which they are not. But many people cannot afford to spend $500 on a pair of glasses. Further, someone who has a week prescription (say a -.50), no astigmatism, average size face with a 62PD, chances are Warby Parkers with their poly lenses will be just fine.

19. accordion

accordion Senior member

So the stronger your prescription, the more you should consider shelling out for lenses? I know that high index by default costs more.

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

How do Warby frames compare to lower end Luxottica frames (e.g. Ray Bans)?