1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Rayban Clubmasters? If you like cheap sunglasses, you wouldn't be out much if they break or the lens falls out and gets lost.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

Okay, I thought I'd post here to get an opinion. For reference, I'm 26, I work in IT for a trendy company. (Sorry for terrible mirror pics)

Stick with contacts:
    http://i.imgur.com/k4lbaFC.jpg

Warby Parker Preston - Just got these and not sold on them. Frame quality seems pretty low and the lenses aren't great either:
    http://i.imgur.com/rfgsh5i.jpg

Shuron Sidewinders - These are 4 years old, I haven't worn them in a few years. I just tried them on again to compare, I think they look pretty good and I love the quality:
    http://i.imgur.com/q8FEkg9.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Colemania

Colemania New Member

4. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

what are peoples opinions on HAN or Illsteva? Ive had illsteva sunglasses for over a year that I havent been wearing as much since i picked up moscots, but i still like them.

5. yoppy

yoppy New Member

My very personal opinion is that you'd better try rectangular shape glasses... oversized nerd glasses look to big on you.

6. ClassAct

ClassAct Well-Known Member

Hello, there are some great recommendations on here for brands in the US but they are quite hard to find abroad. Any good value for money brands here in the UK, looking for spectacles that are trendy yet durable.

For example I've found Larke Optics but out of my price range unfortunately (£275):

http://larkeoptics.com/

I like the look of Tom Ford glasses however I'm pretty sure these are just generic made in Chine frames branded to sell at extortionate prices.

Any advice please.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Tom ford is made by luxottica although it's still sold at extortionist prices

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  8. XFactor

XFactor Senior member

I do not have a need for "eye correction" as I have 20/20.

I need the following two things:

1)
    Spectacles / Eye Glasses that look like prescription but with Zero Power - Bonus: Anti Glare for Computer usage
    Goal: A frame design that makes me look more mature and older for INTERVIEWS and EARLY INTERACTIONS with Clients & New Teams.
    Issue: (I look way young for my age and have a baby face)

- What kind of frame designs/ construction would suit this purpose? (Links & Pictures welcome) - Conservative & Mature is better.
    - Any particular kind of Zero Power lens/ you might recommend?

2)
    Photo-chromatic Sunglasses (+Polarized?) for daily wear and weekend hanging out. The "Go To" daily pair (Maybe buy 1 and then a second).
    Goal: Air, wind and dust protection and clarity while driving or walking around

- Please suggest brands and models?
    - My homework on this points to few that I found affordable and decently well built -
    e.g.
    - Ryders - Around 89/ 99 $ - Photochromatic and Polarized for Glare protection.
    - Found a few brands that support Photochromatic and Polarized on REI.com - Should I list them so you can rate/ review them?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  9. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

They are from Marcolin.

10. CityConnection

In terms of frames, there are tons of options so my advice would be to go to a brick and mortar store and try some on. Nobody can tell you what brand or style to try because everyone's face shapes are different.

As for plano lenses, do NOT get cheap ones. It will probably cause more discomfort than not wearing them. Not all lenses are created equally. If you're using it for extended computer use, look into the Zeiss Purecoat and the Nikon Seecoat Blue. Both reduce blue light to create more contrast and in turn make them more comfortable

For polarized/photochromatic lenses, again they are not created equally. Some have better clarity, more scratch resistance and better overall. if you want true bang for the buck for polarized lenses, try Polaroid Sunglasses. Launched by Safilo and great lenses for what you pay. They retail for under $120. Most "active lifestyle" brands have terrible quality lenses. Usually very thin, flimsy, distorted vision and soft. 1 good pair is better than several poor quality pairs.

11. CityConnection

RANT: REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BUY FROM CLEARLY CONTACTS

1. Their lens quality is terrible. The optics are horrendous, the coatings are too soft, and the lenses craze too easily. You are overpaying for their lenses, period.
    2. They are NOT CHEAP. For how much you are paying, they are ripping you off. $49 frame with lenses in a 1.61 index with AR and shipping, you pay $130 out the door. You can certainly find a MUCH BETTER product at a B&M and get a selection to try on, as well, you get service and after service.
    3. Most of their brand names are NOT BRAND NAMES. They are all house brands. They are not "exclusive" if they are house brands. They mislead people to think that they are really brands.
    4. The quality of their frames are sub par. The frames are not serviceable because they are house brands and I'm pretty sure that they will not replace a screw, temple or front for you. I have seen frames where the right and left eye were not exactly the same size. Usually, both lens can be cut exactly the same from one another for a perfect fit, but I've seen some that were nowhere near the same.
    5. They cannot adjust them for you. You will have to take your frames to a B&M to get them adjusted. When you factor in all the previous points, there is really no reason to buy from them.

I generally say that you get what you pay for, but I have just seen way too many disappointing products from them. They promote, a "first pair free", but think about it, you think they are really give it to you for free?

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have seen my pair share of this industry.

I make NO implications that I know all, this is just simply my opinion. Agree with me or disagree with me, that is your choice.

PS, their contacts aren't cheap either. After paying for the lenses, shipping and handling, and waiting for the lenses to arrive, you will pay slightly more than a regular B&M. Independent B&M generally get manufacture rebates from the companies. And those are normally not provided by chains and internet sales.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  12. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Carolinaman posted about his horn frames from Penn Avenue awhile back and I decided to give it a shot after losing my glasses on vacation (very old, it was time anyway). The experience of the Home Try On and the actual processing of my order was pretty much perfect. Constant communication (from the same person), they went out of their way to make sure I got what was best for me whether that be going with Penn Avenue or my personal optician. So the shopping experience was a pleasure...

The frames? TBH I don't know much about frames let alone buffalo horn frames, but I do enjoy the frame shape on my face and love the look of the buffalo horn once I got them in person. The feel of the material over what I wore in the past (acetate / metal) is pretty awesome. The hinges felt very durable and had a good spring to them. They're currently getting lenses now so I'll report back with Penn's lens quality.

13. klonowj

klonowj Senior member

Has anyone heard of fake Barton Perreira eyeglasses?

I've been looking at a seller on eBay.... Would anyone be able to confirm whether this seller is legit or not? Would help me out if I got some opinions, Ive been holding back on a couple pairs of BP I really want.

http://myworld.ebay.com/eurofshn4all

14. poorman

poorman Senior member

I bought a pair of the BP Caine from that seller a few months ago.

There's nothing that screamed THIS IS FAKE to me lol. I can't imagine BP is THAT popular to want to fake but I don't know.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  15. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Any idea what these glasses are?

16. klonowj

klonowj Senior member

Thanks for replying. That's what I was thinking... So who are these resellers on ebay/online then and where do they get their glasses from? From my experiences buying eyewear, it's usually hard finding stuff for less then retail so how are they selling for so much cheaper. Are they just scratched or have some small manufacturing defect? I understand if they're seconds but otherwise I'm confused when I find stuff like this, because they look authentic but come sans a retail box and price/sku tags. If anyone can explain the process of where these glasses come from that would be cool. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Active Member

All of the above. It could be a knock-off, a discontinued frame, a second that does not have a readily noticeable defect, it could be from a factory overrun, it could be a sample, or it could be just someone who is looking to make less profit. There is a huge mark-up in frames.

18. XFactor

XFactor Senior member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  19. okazaki

okazaki Member

Any thoughts on the eyeglasses put out by Super? http://store.retrosuperfuture.com/collections/people-optical

I actually like a few of the designs, but something about the brand kind of turns me off. Maybe it's the fact that I see them mostly on Biebs and Kanye.

Originally wanted Lemtosh but am concerned they may be a little round for my face. Might head over to the Super flagship and compare with Moscot.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  20. CityConnection

I don't know if Polaroid are photochromatic. They aren't as far as I'm aware of.