1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. RedfordWinds1990

RedfordWinds1990 Member

What style of eye glasses would these be called, and where could I get them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. kalye

kalye Well-Known Member

City connection, some help on the best maker of wire frames?

3. Broder

Broder Well-Known Member

I have used a pair of Miltzen by Moscot for a while now and I couldn't have been happier, I think they fit my facial structures, my personality and my style very well. Now, when summer finally has come, I would really need a pair of sunglasses, preferably a pair of clip-ons (if there is something that works with the 'Miltzen'). Where and what should I look for?

4. Tank88

Tank88 New Member

What is your view on Monoqool? The hinge design reminds me of the Lindberg Air Titanium I used to have. I am attracted by the German (industrial) and Danish (clean, simple) designs and have owned Mykita and IC Berlin. Currently I'm looking at either Monoqool NXT or Markus T Me collection. I like my next frame to have a bit of volume but lightness is also paramount to me. Would appreciate your opinion.

5. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I'm kind of a fastidious perfectionist - sometimes obsessive - and I like my
    glasses to look straight. It also might bother me if, when I put them down,
    either rightside up or upside down, if the earpieces/temples do not touch the
    surface. I've been told by opticians no human face is symmetrical so there's no
    reason to expect a frame to be perfectly level to be ideal for the individual.
    Other opticians seem to go along with the idea the earpieces, when the frame is
    on a table or counter, should each touch the surface.

With my current Lunor frames I've had them perfect level, both rightside up and
    upside down, when lying on a surface. At the moment, however, they seem to look
    fairly straight on my face but, from my perspective, the right temple is higher
    than the left - it doesn't touch the surface when I put the frame on a surface
    rightside up. However, if the frame is upside down, the temples do indeed touch
    my desktop. I went for months not having the frame adjusted but recently I
    noticed one side did come out higher than the other, so I had an optician adjust
    them, only to find after I walked out the right side is still higher. I had the
    frame adjusted three times since by different opticians and, when they finished,
    the right side was still higher (though the last time, only, the temples both
    touch the surface when the frame is upside down. I also noticed the optician
    tested the level with the frame rightsie up but not upside down.

So is that what opticians are instructed to do - check that the frame is level
    rightside up (only)? Or only check the frame on the person's face - checking the
    proximity with the ears, etc? As usual, my ears typically hurt or itch at least
    when I wear the frame a while though, as I've written here, I think some of this
    has to do with my ears becoming more sensitive in recent years.:evolve:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  6. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Should the temples both hit the surface?[ATTACHMENT=3112]lunor22623.jpg (32k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

7. ama

ama Senior member

x post

8. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

Can someone recommend me a pair of glasses that are not only sturdy enough to function on a factory floor, but simple and classic enough that they can also work while I am back in the office?

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

How active is this thread still? Need help ID my face shape

I think it is oblong

[​IMG]

10. Flame

Flame Senior member

Hmm anyone know what does Gary Oldman wear in TDKR / similar styles? Looking for an understated everyday pair in tortoise-shell.

11. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

For that frame size, your pd, and your rx I would tell you just to go with a 1.67. If you want thinner and lighter and don't mind spending a bit more the 1.74 is always better, but it comes at a price.

12. CityConnection

Sorry for being MIA guys. I have been super busy at home with a little one. But I'll try to answer as many questions as possible.

13. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Not 100% positive but I want to say those are OPs. Im pretty sure I read that or saw it somewhere.

14. CityConnection

Not at all! In terms of style and quality vs. price, I think you can find much better product. Depending on what draws you to this frame I'm sure there are tons of alternatives. Personally, I think OP is over rated.

15. CityConnection

I understand what you are saying but it is subjective. Distortion that bothers you may not both others. Also, a +7bc is quite wrapped and you will get distortion. You can go with a free form single vision lens in a wrapped frame but the lenses are going to be thick. As well, depending on your frame you may not need a +7bc. You can move the position of the bevel to accommodate for the curvature of the frame.

16. CityConnection

It will make you look rounder. The color is nice but depending on the color of your hair it could make you look more colorful or more pale.

17. CityConnection

In general, Wayfarers are terrible for RX. First off, they are difficult to adjust (not impossible but difficult) and they just don't sit properly for an RX. In terms of what you are looking for, you are bang on, you should be looking for squareish shapes and in terms of color, it is limitless. Don't think that you should be confined to tortoises only, nowadays there are lighter browns coming our as well as 2 tones. Even a black and crystall 2 tone would probably look good.

TR90 can be identified by how well it bends, the finish, the paint, the print, the hinges, the pad arms...BUT, for the layman, just ask the dispenser. It will save you a lot of time and effort to research it.

18. CityConnection

Vintage. The shape can be described as a P3. Look for older Giorgio Armani, Calvin Klein, Persol and Zeiss. All will be well made and the style you are looking for.

19. CityConnection

In terms of...
    style?
    finish?
    use of material?
    material?
    colorway?
    funkyness?
    simplicity?
    hinge design?

It is a very broad question, it is like asking "who makes the best button up shirt?". If you are more specific I might be able to help out some more.

20. CityConnection

I would suggest instead of getting a pair of clip-on glasses, why not just take your glasses into a B&M and get them to make you a custom clip-on? That way you keep the glasses that you love so much and you can use them all the time.