1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. Tino Bar

Tino Bar New Member

hello i have been trying to I.D this pair of eye glasses for the longest time

some help would be greatly welcomed or at least the brand

[​IMG]

2. xulpe

xulpe New Member

What do you think about paying 450$ for a pair of Undostrials? worth the price point?

3. gigisor

gigisor New Member

I tried on one pair of Mikli Starck frame yesterday and felt pretty comfortable. But they are pricy. I am curious whether the patent bio-hinge would be more durable than classical screw one. Any experience?

4. LMF

LMF New Member

Ah I needed my bubble to be bursted anyhow. Given how bad my prescriptions are, it would be another $150-200 ontop of that. Thanks for the reality check. What are your thoughts on Entourage of 7s? Found a pair around $400... I feel like I'm walking the same path but wanted an experts opinion to validate my silliness.

5. pelagicus

pelagicus Member

What do you think of pros/cons of the available lens materials?

6. SpY0o2

SpY0o2 New Member

hello! I'm a dude with a wide face, and I've had difficulty finding a pair of vintage-circular plastic frames like those of Oliver Peoples and Garrett Leight. I think I need something where the Lens width is > 55mm. The closest thing I've found is the Elbe by Reiz, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. At this point, I'm contemplating getting the Oliver People's Corie sunglasses, and pop in optical lenses instead..

any suggestions of circular frames that have > 55m lens widths?

Thank you!

7. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

The logo and style kind of looks like a Converse frame. Also, Prodesign has many styles that are similar.

8. CityConnection

Review:

I got a little gift from Persol and Seiko Transition for a test run. I haven't been a huge fan of Transitions but maybe this will broaden my view.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial thoughts: Their barreled metal in the temple is actually quite well made. It allows flexibility while still maintain the shape. The only concern I see is that the frame MUST be adjusted in order for the frame to fit well. If you buy the frame online, chances are that they frame won't fit all that well. The acetate that is used is very good. Most likely Italian acetate. It is nice to see that the barrels in the temple are actually a useful piece and not just a piece of useless metal on the temple.

In terms of the lenses, the anti reflection coating seems like it has been coated multiple times and reflects a nice color. The lenses are quite flat and thin.

I haven't had the lenses mounted yet, so I'll update as I "enjoy" this combo of frame and lenses.

9. CityConnection

Review:
    Brand: Grafik: Plastic
    Material: TR90 and Stainless Steel
    Style: Bold
    Quality: They are more pricey than most acetate frames that size but they are much lighter. The TR90 material itself has a great thickness to weight ratio, making them fairly light. The styling is similar to that of SUPER but they fit much better, especially on asian noses. Also,they have interchangeable temples for different colors.
    Availability: as of now, they are not available in North America from what I understand. I have 2 pieces as samples and for sale, but I will most likely be doing more work with them if the terms are right.

Enjoy the pics on frames that you probably haven't seen and you might not see again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I finally found the perfect pair of clear frames. These are made by SALT. I picked them up at Veo Optics in SF. They said that a number of people have ordered these with blue sunglass lenses. Hmmmmm.

[​IMG]

11. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Please visit and join my "Ken's Eyewear Club" in Yahoo Groups. Anyone can join for free, and members get to see all the attachments. The club has been going since 1999....:thumbs-up:

12. Regg

Regg Senior member

Where can I find Barton Perreira Gilbert's in Chestnut? Gosling's pair so I'm not sure if they're hard to find. Can't find them online so looking for a spot in NYC if possible!

13. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Have you fitted the BP Gilbert? They are kind of small. I'd find a store and try them on. I have some Kerouac's that fit me perfectly.

14. Regg

Regg Senior member

Unfortunately I have not. Do you mean the frame or the lenses? I know the lenses are kind of on the small side, but no idea about the frame in general.

15. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

The frame. I went into a shop looking for a certain style and the owner suggested that the frame was too small for me. Put me into the Kerouac which I fit well.[​IMG]

16. Regg

Regg Senior member

Hmm, I believe I do have a big head so I wonder if they would be too small.

17. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

There is a joke there somewhere. Seriously, I'd find a shop that stocks BP and try them on. They may not have the color you want, but you will save some shipping/headaches.
    Good hunting.

18. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Need to get my first pair of glasses. I know nothing, but what I've found is that a sort of Boston-ish shape, and something with thinner frames in a lighter color work well for me.

I'm in Japan. There are tons of great shops, but I find they are quite expensive and also that most stores primarily stock quite thick and darker frames, and thinner, lighter frames are a bit of a rare species. I found some Beausoleils--more specifically their "012-xxxx" model--in a nice light green (looks greyish) that work pretty well, but are almost $500 out the door. Here is a pic of a Beausoleil 012 in a darker model.

[​IMG]

This brand seemed nice to me. Any thoughts? I do not want to spend $500 at all, but I am tempted to just because they are the best that I have found so far. And I quite liked the very natural green.

Where should I look for similar, but less expensive options, if possible, in Tokyo?

I just discovered the Masunaga store in Aoyama and will be headed there sometime soon. Any other ideas?

(cross posted from the not very active "stylish eye glasses" thread)

19. CityConnection

Being in Japan I would go with a Japanese brand. There are TONS that are well made and you can probably get them for a bit less than $500. Masunaga, Kio Yamato, Yellow Plus, 999.9, Toki, and so on.

20. mythage

mythage Senior member

Does anyone know a place in Vancouver where I can buy/try on the brands of glasses that are recommended in this thread?