• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask andy what?

quill

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I just tried to access Ask Andy (I'm quill over there, too) and got this message: www.askandyaboutclothes.com Temporarily Unavailable This account has surpassed its bandwidth allocation at the present time. You may reach the account administrator at [email protected] What gives with this site? It's slow, freezes up, takes forever to navigate...I just about give up on it, which I regret, since it seems to have some good topics as well. Anybody else have the same love/hate relationship with this site that I do?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, it drives me crazy, too. I think that most of the problems stem from the schmuck hosting company that Andy uses -- inadequate bandwidth, underpowered servers, etc. I really, really, REALLY hope that Andy moves it, and soon, too.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
You are not alone quill. Many of us are regulars (or try to be) of both sites. I have for the most part given up on Ask Andy's because I lack the necessary patience.

armscye

Reaction score
My strong impression is that he is being hosted for free or for cheap, and therefore has little ability to improve either the reliability or the bandwidth. A smart operator would reconfigure the site as a men's fashion portal, allot some banner space (sure I'd look at a banner telling me about men's clothes for less), and begin to generate some revenue...

bryce330

Reaction score
He has plenty of advertisements on his web page. That's why it's somewhat bewildering that he doesn't pay for a better server.

keys

Reaction score
Agreed. It's a great site w/ a ton of useful information but it's so dang slow. At various times of the time the search function is rendered useless due to server time-outs.
sad.gif
V-

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this forum has benefited significantly from the performance issues at Andy's. It's too bad, because he was the first mover. But then again, so was Apple and we all know how that one turned out.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too bad, because he was the first mover. But then again, so was Apple and we all know how that one turned out.

yeah, it turned into a cult of ipod worshippers...hm, maybe andy's got something there...

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Askandy site must be running off from webserver with dial up connection.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on, what do you expect. Unless we're willing to pitch in and give money to that site so that it can become better, we don' really have the right to complain about it.

Yes, there are advertisements. But, I think that site only gets money when somebody buys something from that banner. Even then, the money generated is limited.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Come on, what do you expect. Unless we're willing to pitch in and give money to that site so that it can become better, we don' really have the right to complain about it.
Offers for donations have been made several times by forum participants. None have been accepted as far as I know.

There's also the technical aspect of the move such that all the valuable posts are not lost during the transition.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I emailed Andy last week asking about his advertising deal and still have not heard back.  I kind of feel that all the posters on these forums who are trade people, and I know I have benefited in more ways than one, should at least thank Andy and Steve by advertising and giving back something.  I for one am more than happy to do this, but I've yet to get a response.

I know Steve, but as your book doesn't fit below the ankles, I can't buy for the store - you have to get Mark on it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Ron:

J. actually foots the bill here. I believe he accepted some donations a while back that were generous enough to pay the site forward for a while.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
At some point this summer Andy was planning a trip to France. I don't recall when it was, but he may be out of the country at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads