• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My navy cotton twill sport coat became threadbare at the elbow.
Might try getting elbow patches sewn on.

a quick search online shows so many choices
if anyone has done this and has any recommendation for what type of patch ... or where to buy... that'd be useful

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My navy cotton twill sport coat became threadbare at the elbow.
Might try getting elbow patches sewn on.

a quick search online shows so many choices
if anyone has done this and has any recommendation for what type of patch ... or where to buy... that'd be useful

Good on you for getting that much use from it and still wanting more. Often you see commercial patches (especially on RTW) as oval shaped, but really all you need is a half-moon since it is inside of the sleeve seam where jackets usually wear. A competent alterations / repairs shop be able to do the job.

They may also have views on what to patch with (you don’t need to buy a ‘patch’ - just cut any appropriate fabric to size / shape.

Given the jacket is cotton I would avoid anything like leather. Maybe a lightweight suede if you are after a Cucinelli type aesthetic. Also cotton fades, so I wouldn’t try to match the shade too closely - a bit of contrast can add character. Depending on how the jacket is constructed the alterations tailor may even be able to take a section of fabric from inside the jacket to patch the elbows.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shoe/boot to wear for walking to and from work, that could withstand rain and light snow?

Tired of beating up nicer shoes with all the walking I do, rather just keep dress shoes at work.

Ideally they would look good with trousers / a suit so that it doesn't look odd.

Doc marten chelseas maybe?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I have the Tods boots and wear them often with a suit. They are called Gionomo sic or something similar

Any recommendations for a shoe/boot to wear for walking to and from work, that could withstand rain and light snow?

Tired of beating up nicer shoes with all the walking I do, rather just keep dress shoes at work.

Ideally they would look good with trousers / a suit so that it doesn't look odd.

steezin

Reaction score
I am wondering if would be acceptable to wear a navy wool flannel jacket with an off white cotton flannel shirt:

I am looking for a slightly more casual look and was thinking about pairing them with a knitted burgundy tie, both are from suitsupply.

Should I stick with a normal white dress shirt or could the flannel shirt look cohesive?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden has a new (ish) model called the Dutton, 3 eyed blucher style in Alpine grain leather with a commando sole, suitable for bad weather, goes with everything except strick conservative business dress.

I am wondering if would be acceptable to wear a navy wool flannel jacket with an off white cotton flannel shirt:

View attachment 1288032 View attachment 1288033

I am looking for a slightly more casual look and was thinking about pairing them with a knitted burgundy tie, both are from suitsupply.

Should I stick with a normal white dress shirt or could the flannel shirt look cohesive?

Perfectly acceptable. Don't over think it, its a navy flannel sport coat, about the most verstile piece you could get for fall/winter. Dress it up with a white shirt, dress it down with your proposed off-white flannel or blue OCBD. Wear it with or without a tie, it will look great (as long as the fit is good)

Kevin24

Reaction score
Good Evening and Happy Thanksgiving!

Idk if this is the right place for this question...but I need to wax my Barbour Beaufort jacket.

I am wondering if anyone has a brand of wax that would be effective to use for this task? Or is the wax made by Barbour themselves the best to use?

Thank you in advance!

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter Wax should work fine, but personally I'd send it in and let them wax it.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1288032 View attachment 1288033

go with what you're planning
a normal white dress shirt would probably dress it up more than you want to

what are the most versatile bow tie colors/patterns?
i don't normally wear a bow tie but every once in a while, i get the urge to try it
I have only a black grosgrain bowtie that i wore with my tuxedo for my wedding
so looking to get something very versatile

like a navy w/ white pin/polka dots?
any suggestions on where to look as well?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
US import tax question:

I bought a couple of pants on sale from The Rake. I bought extras on the same style and will return the ones that don't fit. DHL just texted me saying I owe import tax on the package. This has never happened to me before. Should I refuse delivery or just call Rake to cancel the entire order?

Thanks.

Last edited:

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
hello,

I was wondering if someone has had experience with camel wool suits. How does it compare to regular wool in terms of comfort, durability, etc?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
US import tax question:

I bought a couple of pants on sale from The Rake. I bought extras on the same style and will return the ones that don't fit. DHL just texted me saying I owe import tax on the package. This has never happened to me before. Should I refuse delivery or just call Rake to cancel the entire order?

Thanks.
My first pair of Meermins I had to return as they didn’t fit. Later I got a bill for import duties. I just sent a copy of my return fedex label proving I’d sent them back and the bill was cancelled.
It seems that you may get a result here as you keep the items that fit, return the ones that don’t and use the return label to worm your way out of paying the import duty.
Good luck!

styleforumfan

Reaction score
My first pair of Meermins I had to return as they didn’t fit. Later I got a bill for import duties. I just sent a copy of my return fedex label proving I’d sent them back and the bill was cancelled.
It seems that you may get a result here as you keep the items that fit, return the ones that don’t and use the return label to worm your way out of paying the import duty.
Good luck!

DHL won't deliver until I paid the import tax. I told DHL I refused delivery and return to sender.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Quick question. Would you assume that your inseam length is standard to most trousers? Ie is it safe to give a tailor a dozen pairs of different trousers and request the same inseam when hemming?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads