• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

styleforumfan

Reaction score
100 % linen will shrink. Especially if u put it in a washing machine..

Expect approximately 5% shrinkage

I've heard about prewashed linen. Is it possible to tell if the linen has been washed already at the factory just by looking at the washing instructions label so there will be no shrinkage and therefore you don't have to size up?

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
What type of collar is this?

Screenshot_20190915-165100_Chrome.jpg

EUtroll

Reaction score
Any recommendations for where to look for good quality wool sweaters?

Haven't restocked my sweater wardrobe for many years now so no clue where to look for good quality, durable pieces. Very happy with my old stuff from John Smedley but do find 200 € for a wool jumper a bit excessive.

papado

Reaction score
What's the best way to remove those dry cleaner wrinkles on the collar, placket, and pocket of a shirt? Is it just steaming, or washing and ironing?

You'll likely have to iron them unless they're very shallow and some steam can get rid of it. I iron all my shirts after I get them back from the cleaners to avoid exactly this--yes, it's overkill I'm a big fan of a good hand press nowadays!

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for where to look for good quality wool sweaters?

Haven't restocked my sweater wardrobe for many years now so no clue where to look for good quality, durable pieces. Very happy with my old stuff from John Smedley but do find 200 € for a wool jumper a bit excessive.

I find Arket to have reasonably priced and decent quality knitwear.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize these glasses? michou lives in Paris so I'm guessing French?

xxparis-michou5-superJumbo.jpg

blocky

Reaction score
By sheer luck, I was invited to my first black tie event (charity event in Vancouver, so all manner of non-black-tie will be on display) in the same week that I received a coupon for a free tuxedo from Moores. Unfortunately, all they had was two button peak lapel Joseph Abboud. As far as I can tell the other details are mostly correct (two vents, no pocket flaps, satin strip on pants, etc). I plan to buy a self tie black bow tie and cummerbund, and will be getting a shirt from proper cloth.

My question is about the shirt details. Pique bib? Pleats? Neither? I am thinking double french cuff with some simple links and their semi-spread or english spread collar.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I have a casual linen shirt with button down collar. Is it OK to wear it with these side collar buttons unbuttoned for even more casual look?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I have a casual linen shirt with button down collar. Is it OK to wear it with these side collar buttons unbuttoned for even more casual look?
Yes, do it all the time. Just don’t wear your watch over your cuff and you’ll be fine

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Trousers to match vicuña or alpaca? Cream?

Attachments

• 1A17C2A6-1CC4-42FC-9A95-05F61B036C97.jpeg
    1A17C2A6-1CC4-42FC-9A95-05F61B036C97.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 127

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads