• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think either is fine but I like the longer duffles a bit more, personally. Makes them stand out a bit more. Sometimes a long coat is a bit of a pain ********** when you're out and about, though. They don't sling over the back of a chair well.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
I think either is fine but I like the longer duffles a bit more, personally. Makes them stand out a bit more. Sometimes a long coat is a bit of a pain ********** when you're out and about, though. They don't sling over the back of a chair well.

I think so too, but this mid length gloverall is at a great discount and I really want to buy it.
I am also a short guy, 1.71cm

gloverall-check-duffle-navy-6.jpg
gloverall-check-duffle-navy-3.jpg

Under the two pockets there is little cloth, the other dufles are at least another 8 cm

HollyJoint

Reaction score
I think that's fine as well, long coats are for everyone.

I am definitely in the mood to buy it.
Being shorter doesn't bother me much, besides it should be more comfortable to use outside .
But now it's puzzling me that this model is made by 70% wool, and 30% polyamide .. while other models like monty are 100% wool.
Should I worry about that? Is it a reason not to buy it?

Last edited:

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Personally I'd hold out for a 100% wool in the traditional length. The "midlength" looks unbalanced to me.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Personally I'd hold out for a 100% wool in the traditional length. The "midlength" looks unbalanced to me.

I prefer 100% wool of course, but I think I can live without it.
The 30% synthetic I think is inside sleeves.
why do you find midlength unbalanced? maybe look more for a casual coat while the long for a more classic style

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
why do you find midlength unbalanced? maybe look more for a casual coat while the long for a more classic style

Just looks wrong to me. Like the bottom was cut off.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Just looks wrong to me. Like the bottom was cut off.

like you are and you really are..lol
Lose in look, but gain in comfort, have you ever seen what it is like to sit in a simple chair or drive a car with a heavy coat to the knee?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to have convinced yourself you want it, whatever is said. My opinion is that the long one in wool is a classic, the short one just looks odd.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer 100% wool of course, but I think I can live without it.
The 30% synthetic I think is inside sleeves.

That's not how that works

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You seem to have convinced yourself you want it, whatever is said. My opinion is that the long one in wool is a classic, the short one just looks odd.

Agree!

Reactions: 1up

HollyJoint

Reaction score

what? the cut of the coat or he dress? is that he gives me almost above my knee, I'm only 1.70m
The classic monty in me was going to swallow me.
Well, the Original Montgomery is also made of 70% wool 30% syntetic and that's why it's a classic. https://www.originalmontgomery.com/mens-classic-duffle-coats-camel

HollyJoint

Reaction score
That's not how that works

So? I even find it beneficial to have a small percentage of synthetic because it will surely give you more durability.
Of course 100% is a more luxurious product and will look better, but in the first rain shower will ruin the coat.

edit: But I think 30% polyamide may be too much.
80% wool 20% polyamyde was the most balanced

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So? I even find it beneficial to have a small percentage of synthetic because it will surely give you more durability.
Of course 100% is a more luxurious product and will look better, but in the first rain shower will ruin the coat.

edit: But I think 30% polyamide may be too much.
80% wool 20% polyamyde was the most balanced

You have come to forum thread titled "Ask a question, get an answer" and have asked a question. Several people have responded, yet you don't seem to want to hear any of the answers.

The "So" in my reply was in response to your inaccurate assumption of how textile blends work in a garment. If the body of a garment is made from a blend, unless it specifies "sleeves", then the entire garment is made from the same synthetic blend fabric. So in your case the entire coat is 30% synthetic. It may matter to you, it may not. It certainly does not matter to me, just trying to help you make an educated decision about your potential purchase.

Additionally, you have made another incorrect statement: "Of course 100% is a more luxurious product and will look better, but in the first rain shower will ruin the coat."

Rain will not ruin a 100% wool coat. 100% wool can maintain its insulating properties even when wet, and can absorb about 20/30% of their weight in water before it starts to leak through. Once dry, it will have no ill effects.

In the end, it is your money, not our money. You have asked and re-asked several questions, and seem to already be convinced to buy the coat.

So.........

As Simon said, you have already made up your mind.

Reactions: 1up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads