• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jonkuok

Reaction score
This is my first post after my introduction, and don't know if this a right place, but here it goes.

Does anyone know where to get a good shoe tree for a wide/thick foot? If I could order it online and they ship to Hong Kong, or if I could get them in Hong Kong/China that will be great.

The ones I have arent big enough and I flex my shoe a little bit too much leaving way too many crease line on my shoes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has quite pronounced pick stitching to the edges, which is emphasised by the fabric which seems to be some form of cotton blend (with silk?). To my eyes the end result is far from elegant.

Shame really...Liverano masquerading as LBM1911.

ovlov

Reaction score
It has quite pronounced pick stitching to the edges, which is emphasised by the fabric which seems to be some form of cotton blend (with silk?). To my eyes the end result is far from elegant.

I agree this one is kind of ugly. But it has the most pronounced example of pick stitching which is what I was looking for. I've seen the effect to a lesser degree in a lot of other suits and I quite like it when it's noticeable but a bit more understated than this one.

Shame really...Liverano masquerading as LBM1911.

LBM1911???

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find or buy this Jamieson’s of Shetland fair isle sleeveless cardigan? I have tried a few websites but with no luck.

6299597F-1EEA-477D-83BA-ACA49FF71C45.png

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hola a todos - i normally live on the SW&D side of the house but I'm seeking some sage advice that I thought might be more readily found here...

I have a pair of engineered garments gray flannel trousers with a 2" cuff, which are just too short even for my taste. I'm going to have them let out but not sure there's enough fabric to retain the 2" cuff as I'd like too...my debate is to go with a more narrow cuff 1.5" or less, or no cuff at all...

these are to be worn in an office (not formal) setting and I'm on the taller, big-footed side for context...

many thanks in advance CM friends!

My opinion, the smallest cuff that will look proportional is 1.5 inches, 1.75 would be ideal if enough fabric. A good tailor can do a French cuff if there is not enough fabric for a regular cuff.

useless_username

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find or buy this Jamieson’s of Shetland fair isle sleeveless cardigan? I have tried a few websites but with no luck.

View attachment 1114850

Are you sure they're making it anymore? Could be some old design.

This company has Fair Isle waistcoats (presumably sleeveless, though you can't tell from the pictures): https://www.originalblues.co.uk/fair-isle-waistcoat-345-c.asp

Also, this: http://www.oldfieldclothing.com/the-bertram-waistcoat/4594450895

On that note, why is it so difficult to find long-sleeved Fair Isle jumpers with a v-neck? It looks like all the Fair Isle jumpers out there have crew necks. And all the sleeveless slipovers have v-necks. It's almost is if there's some unwritten rule about this. Very annoying.

Last edited:

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Are you sure they're making it anymore? Could be some old design.

This company has Fair Isle waistcoats (presumably sleeveless, though you can't tell from the pictures): https://www.originalblues.co.uk/fair-isle-waistcoat-345-c.asp

Also, this: http://www.oldfieldclothing.com/the-bertram-waistcoat/4594450895

On that note, why is it so difficult to find long-sleeved Fair Isle jumpers with a v-neck? It looks like all the Fair Isle jumpers out there have crew necks. And all the sleeveless slipovers have v-necks. It's almost is if there's some unwritten rule about this. Very annoying.

Thank you for the links.

anne56

Reaction score

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys. i bought MIUSA suits from Hardwick for myself and my groomsmen.

most were fine, but on ~2/9 suits the seam that runs vertically down the back of the seat split after wearing.

is this a sign of bad quality or just bad luck? easy fix, i presume?

thanks!

useless_username

Reaction score
hey guys. i bought MIUSA suits from Hardwick for myself and my groomsmen.

most were fine, but on ~2/9 suits the seam that runs vertically down the back of the seat split after wearing.

is this a sign of bad quality or just bad luck? easy fix, i presume?

thanks!

Two out of nine trousers ripped after only one wearing? Pick one of the following: A) the trousers are far too tight for the wearers, B) rubbish quality, or C) both.

You can have them repaired, but they're likely to rip again.

If possible, I would return to the shop and ask for a refund or exchange.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Hiya people, would anyone care to comment if these Berwick's are too elongated or just right? I'm a size 42-43 EU depending on the brand, average height. Also, I'd wear them in a smart casual way, with dark slim denim or chinos. Thanks in advance!

Tan-Captoe-Oxfords-1.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brown captoe oxfords are a bit more formal than what you are looking for. They are really shoes to be paired with suits. The shape of them is fine. Derby versus oxford, suede or pebble grain versus calf, wingtip versus captoe, brogued versus plain are all elements that make shoes more casual versus formal

Casaubon

Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in, circumspice! I was afraid that might be the case, but I was encouraged by some lookbooks that were pretty open about pairing such shoes with casual clothing, even darker shades of brown than this. It's just that I found these in a nearby store for a really good price (like 140 EUR) and it got me thinking that it's too good an opportunity to pass.

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know a good tailor in Miami (or at least decent) that doesn’t cost me an eye and a leg?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads