• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help with my shirt tailoring.

I have extremely slim arm compared with my weight. so when a shirt fits well on the body the sleeves are always too big/roomy, a headache always... I was not caring that much until today. I am considering to take all my shirts to a tailor to slim down the sleeves...

Any gentlemen here share the same problems? would that be worth a trip to town? how much would it cost per shirt?

Sure, I’ve done it with many of my OTR shirts too. Slimming the sleeves, armpit holes and torso as well if desired is very easy and inexpensive. My tailor charges 10-15 per shirt.

BlairW

Reaction score
I've got a pair of green suede tassel loafers - I really only wear loafers in a casual business setting, eg. trou and sportcoat, no tie. Any suggested colour combinations that will complement?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of green suede tassel loafers - I really only wear loafers in a casual business setting, eg. trou and sportcoat, no tie. Any suggested colour combinations that will complement?

My view is those are inherently casual due to the colour and material, and also a naturally summer shoe. I’d personally wear them with any light colour trousers (e.g. tan) and the range of sportcoats you would usually pair with them.

I would avoid trying to accentuate the colour by use of green accessories - that’s too match-matchy.

ByTheOcean

Reaction score
I need new flannel trousers. I really love the aesthetics of the high waist, generous yet not baggy stuff like Chad Prom. Sadly, having just started college, the budget is tight. Does anyone have any recommendations for good similar flannel trousers at a lower price point? Max like $180.
Thanks.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need new flannel trousers. I really love the aesthetics of the high waist, generous yet not baggy stuff like Chad Prom. Sadly, having just started college, the budget is tight. Does anyone have any recommendations for good similar flannel trousers at a lower price point? Max like $180.
Thanks.

If you are fairly confident on your measurements I would opt for something like this from Luxire, made up in the style you have in mind:

https://luxire.com/products/vbc_greige_plain_flannel-vbc_wr_504_801_245#/

ByTheOcean

Reaction score
I thought Luxire would be somewhere closer to $200. Huh.

I have always been turned off of Luxire because the website always looked like complete ****, but they seem to have updated it.

How reliable are they? I'm a bit scared of getting something completely fucked up that can't be refunded.

If you are fairly confident on your measurements I would opt for something like this from Luxire, made up in the style you have in mind:

https://luxire.com/products/vbc_greige_plain_flannel-vbc_wr_504_801_245#/

Andy_00

Reaction score
I thought Luxire would be somewhere closer to $200. Huh.

I have always been turned off of Luxire because the website always looked like complete ****, but they seem to have updated it.

How reliable are they? I'm a bit scared of getting something completely fucked up that can't be refunded.
For me, I would say there's is a high chance of getting something that doesn't fit well from using Luxire. This is not to do with their reliability per se, it's just a fact of the matter with remote made to measure. Some people get very lucky, but most people who use them have had to absorb the cost of a few early orders which didn't fit too well while they were iterating their pattern to something that worked well for them. It's something of a long game...

ByTheOcean

Reaction score
For me, I would say there's is a high chance of getting something that doesn't fit well from using Luxire. This is not to do with their reliability per se, it's just a fact of the matter with remote made to measure. Some people get very lucky, but most people who use them have had to absorb the cost of a few early orders which didn't fit too well while they were iterating their pattern to something that worked well for them. It's something of a long game...

Well, I'm not really in a position to take any financial hits atm. Any other suggestions?

Andy_00

Reaction score
Not really (I'm in the UK). You could take a look at Berg and Berg who do a couple of high waisted but modern styles in flannel. A little over your budget and would be a cost to return if the fit didn't work, but on the other hand I think they now offer free worldwide shipping.

ByTheOcean

Reaction score
Not really (I'm in the UK). You could take a look at Berg and Berg who do a couple of high waisted but modern styles in flannel. A little over your budget and would be a cost to return if the fit didn't work, but on the other hand I think they now offer free worldwide shipping.
I'm in Sweden, just like B&B, so that would not be a problem.

I like their stuff, but sadly it's out of my budget. Also, just one or two years ago their flannel trousers were half the price that they are now.

rhymenoserous

Reaction score
Yanko vs TLB Mallorca quality? Calf leather and construction. Seeing if I should pay an extra $90 for the TLB chelsea boot over the Yanko.

BlairW

Reaction score
Kent Wang or Berg and Berg grenadine tie?

Or other suggestions?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which are you asking about? Makers of grenadine ties, or the types of ties from those two makers? Or ties in general?
I think he's looking for a Grenadine tie and would like to know if we would go with Kent Wang or Berg & Berg or if there is another maker he should buy a Grenadine tie from.

I'd throw Drake's in there.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a solid black 2-button herringbone Isaia suit. Would surgeons cuffs be inappropriate due to formality? If not, and due to the permanence of working buttons, what cuff length would be appropriate please?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads