• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

J o s h

Reaction score
What RTW suit brands are popular in Paris? I like the slim but conservative navy and grey suits that are ubiquitous there.

Thanks!

AndrewST

Reaction score
917B1265-AAD5-41E1-B3BF-915943D1DCFD.jpeg 60F8A1B4-6B34-4D4D-835C-00920C30B3D3.jpeg 221A67E2-A086-450F-A0E9-DC45C878CE4D.jpeg C7244456-815F-4508-A024-E7DE19F5D990.jpeg 4D969C78-4ACD-482F-9C60-EB70CC39D6DB.jpeg 6A388D96-5253-43A0-B9A3-DEB8339BCCBE.jpeg FB2D6DCE-1E28-405D-B12A-B4B61D2CA11B.jpeg I just bought this Zegna (for Richards, made in Italy) suit. I paid $198. A steal, fair price, or ripoff? I’m curious how much you might pay for it, given what you see in pictures. Fully canvassed, I’m told, 100% Lana wool.

Let me know what you think.

useless_username

Reaction score
Please educate me on the topic of shiny ties.

- Why are they so hated on this forum?
- Doesn't all silk have a natural sheen?
- If so, where does one draw the line between shiny and non-shiny?
- One of my favourite ties is from Charvet (quite similar to the one pictured) - should I burn it?

Charvet.jpg

(Photo from Bergdorf Goodman)

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Lets say that i would like to shorten a quality leather belt. Is this possible with good result? In the case, what kind of craftman would be my best bet to have this done? A shoe repair shop, some kind of leather shop or?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets say that i would like to shorten a quality leather belt. Is this possible with good result? In the case, what kind of craftman would be my best bet to have this done? A shoe repair shop, some kind of leather shop or?

Some of this depends on how much you want to shorten it. Clearly, if you can chop off the entire section with the existing holes and start again, it’s going to be easiest. Otherwise, you will end up with holes closer to the end of the belt than will usually be the case.

The other complexity is the stitching - to my knowledge / experience, unless you can find someone who will hand-sew the stitching on the tip, you’ll end up with the stitching running off the sides of the belt where the tip is stitched again after having been shortened.

The alternate is to see if the belt can be shortened from the buckle end. Easiest is those which just unscrew at the reverse, but even more complex construction methods can be shortened that end.

Shoe repair shops are usually proficient at shortening belts, but you are safest asking to look at one or two examples of belts they have done which are awaiting collection, just to ensure they are up to the level of competence you expect.

useless_username

Reaction score

Depends a lot on what kind of belt it is; stitching, buckle attachment, etc. If it's an expensive belt or carries sentimental value, I wouldn't trust it to a run of the mill shoe repair shop (unless you know and trust them).

ThomGault

Reaction score
What would you wear with a dark grey suit? (Shirt, tie, suspender/belt, etc)
Where? For what purpose? What time of year? What level of formality? Utilizing a dream wardrobe or my wardrobe or your wardrobe? Much more context is needed.

Henry Li

Reaction score
Where? For what purpose? What time of year? What level of formality? Utilizing a dream wardrobe or my wardrobe or your wardrobe? Much more context is needed.
Coastal area (Not directly at the coast), various purposes, business formal, wardrobe unspecific.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dark grey suit for business is about as straightforward as it gets.
belt vs suspenders depends more on how the trousers were constructed. Either is fine.
these are just examples and by no means the only way to wear a dark grey suit:

more formal: white shirt, black captoe shoes. Lots of tie options. I'm partial to navy or burgundy here, either solid (grenadine or non-shiny twill) or pindot or stripe.

less formal: light blue solid or striped shirt, dark brown shoes (captoe, shortwing brogue) or boots, again lots of tie options.

Moose22

Reaction score
Please educate me on the topic of shiny ties.

- Why are they so hated on this forum?

I don't know. Are they? Is this a troll post and I'm missing something?

- Doesn't all silk have a natural sheen?
- If so, where does one draw the line between shiny and non-shiny?

No. Silk usually sheens, but look at Ancient Madder ties -- they're flat and chalky. I have woven ties that run from very mellow to subtly irridescent to so shiny they just don't look as good in person as they did on eBay. I'd wear the subtle shiny one to a wedding in a heartbeat, for sport coats or more subdued occasions I might not, but I have a couple of open weave silk ties that do nicely, plus the aforementioned Madder ties.

- One of my favourite ties is from Charvet (quite similar to the one pictured) - should I burn it?

Dude, if you like it, and it looks good, wear it. I'd totally wear that tie under my navy suit. I can't recall anyone, EVER, commenting on my tie being too shiny.

One caveat, I wear suits for night time events, not for a traditional office uniform. If you are a lawyer, politician, or in banking, don't listen to me. Talk to your peers at work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads