• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
need some affordable ($50?) year round wool trousers (i know about the lands end year rounder but i've read some poor reviews on them of late)

any others i should look at?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
need some affordable ($50?) year round wool trousers (i know about the lands end year rounder but i've read some poor reviews on them of late)

any others i should look at?
Check out Banana Republic. You might need to size down a bit, but their sale section in store has some fantastic deals sometimes.

upcoming

Reaction score
Out of the two who do you think makes the slimmer shirt? Hugo Boss (slim fit) or TM Lewin (slim fit)?

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out of the two who do you think makes the slimmer shirt? Hugo Boss (slim fit) or TM Lewin (slim fit)?

i have a hugo boss slim fit shirt that is almost skin tight slim. so, i can't imagine TM Lewin (or anything else) being slimmer.

Randy Brooks

Reaction score
How much should I pay for this suit realistically? I think it's one of the Isaia made suits for Saks. It's for sale OBO from a co-worker/friend but I'm not sure what to offer. Sorry for the poor pics I grabbed a few quick shots so that I can try to identify it.

stonesoren

Reaction score
Hey guys. First time poster.

can anybody tell me something about: Lanificio F.lli Cerruti?
I'm looking at buying a suit that uses this brand of wool.

thank a lot in advance.

Reaction score
How much should I pay for this suit realistically? I think it's one of the Isaia made suits for Saks. It's for sale OBO from a co-worker/friend but I'm not sure what to offer. Sorry for the poor pics I grabbed a few quick shots so that I can try to identify it.

Reaction score
Hey guys. First time poster.

can anybody tell me something about: Lanificio F.lli Cerruti?
I'm looking at buying a suit that uses this brand of wool.

thank a lot in advance.
Cerruti makes some good cloth my friend, but it's not any better than Reda, VBC, or Loro Piana. I personally like VBC (vitale barberis canonico) wool the best; they make some seriously durable yet ridiculously luxurious cloths. Just like any mill though, they will have their "bread and butter" wools, and then their "tres-luxe" wools, so it's not really one mill vs another, it's better to compare specific swatches/garments

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I crazy if I'm contemplating selling my unworn Carminas:

And buying these Aldens instead?

I wanted some burgundy shell jumper boots to wear casually and I got the Carminas, but I'm not used to dress shoes and I find the Carminas too dressy, especially the toebox which is quite pointy.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're always going to feel uncomfortable in them then yes do sell them.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thrifted some pants that are a bit too short, so I lengthened the hem a 1/2" with available material. When I ironed it, I can't seem to make the previous hemline disappear. These pants are 98%cotton 2%stretch, and I ironed with steam on the highest temperature setting. Any ideas? What trick do the drycleaners use?

If the dye has faded there is nothing you can do unless you can figure out how to redye it.
If it is the crease a few washings and it might disappear. Get it quite wet and put the iron on it.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Really basic question, but one I can't seem to find a definitive answer to: does a grey tie work with a light blue shirt? It seems to be that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, grey being a neutral and all, but that it may not be "optimal," per se. Nonetheless, I own several that I previously reserved for white shirts, but as I wear light blue predominantly now, I'm strongly considering working them in just for variety. I'm talking solid grey, by the way (non-silk, matte, various hues depending on season) for wear with sport coats and odd trou, not suits.

I would only wear it when I'm doing non-grey trousers (i.e., khakis and browns). Think blue jacket, pale blue shirt, light-to-mid-grey tie, khakis (or brown flannels in F/W). Perhaps even with brown jackets and the dreaded navy odd trousers as well...

Which brings me to a related question: is there anything other than a blue tie lighter than the shirt that a pale blue shirt doesn't work with?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a look I tried again and again and never felt comfortable with it so switched out for another tie.

Grey with a grey suit however works very well I think, as long as a contrasting texture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics