• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Bungle

Reaction score
Good luck mate. Unfortunately in Australia our shoe option are very limited. If you're in the east coast most cities have a couple of stores that stick decent shoes but look to pay at least 50% more than what all the yanks on SF will tell you. You won't find AE anywhere but David jones stocks Loake which is about the same quality/price.
Well as luck would have it, the wife and I decided to go to Birkenhead Point today and I they had a David Jones there. I wasn't even really looking for shoes but scored a set of dark brown plain toe derbys with leather soles reduced from $170 to $62 because they didn't have the box for them. They're Mason Avenue, which I've never heard of before but I'm only going to wear them 3-4 times a year at the most. I know most people will say I should've got oxfords, but I personally aren't a fan of them. Pic of the derbys: http://i.imgur.com/wZ3DMfr.jpg

Exdeath

Reaction score
Quote:
Great write-up. Thanks!

p.henrik

Reaction score

There isn't one, and blood has been spilled over the issue.

I vote "yes."

Definitively yes. As long as they're somewhat casual, so avoid foulard neats, satin etc. I usually go for knits with ocbd.

Last edited:

andrasveto

Reaction score
I'm looking for a casual briefcase for school. This Alfred Dunhill is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in terms of both design and price. My question is, what's the quality like on Dunhill briefs? Can I expect it to last me several years of daily use? The only others I've been able to find that I like are this Jack Spade and this Mulberry.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do I need shoe trees for my Loake Pimlico Suede?

Are they shoes? Then you should use shoe trees in them.

Every so often, someone asks a question which suggests that he fears shoe trees will stretch out and harm his shoes (especially if they're suede).

The answer, as always, is that unless the tree is grossly mismatched to the size of the shoe (like, somehow forcing a size XL shoe tree into a size 7 shoe, not that this is something one is likely to manage), shoe trees are unlikely to damage shoes. Not calfskin shoes. Not horse ass leather shoes. Not suede shoes. Not shoes made from the skin of the rare fire-spitting zebra lizard of the south-central Garnath Valley, near Mount Kolvir. Shoe tree use will tend to be beneficial to shoes. It will not hurt shoes.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Ugh, but we have so many shoes, there have to be some that don't need trees.

J

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ugh, but we have so many shoes, there have to be some that don't need trees.

Presumably, if one can afford so many shoes, one can afford an equal number of shoe trees.

After all, a pair of Woodlore shoe trees can not infrequently be had for little more than $10. That's but a small fraction the price of a pair of shoes.

Otherwise, it's somewhat akin to being able to afford to regularly dine out at pricey restaurants, but complaining that the expense of tipping the valet parking attendant $5 on each occasion is the real financial burden.

Last edited:

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

Do I need shoe trees for my Loake Pimlico Suede?

I use trees for all my dress shoes. That being said, some day I'm going to buy two pair of the same shoe and use trees in one and not in the other. I'll post pix after a year. I'm curious just how much they really do help with the life of the shoe.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use trees for all my dress shoes. That being said, some day I'm going to buy two pair of the same shoe and use trees in one and not in the other. I'll post pix after a year. I'm curious just how much they really do help with the life of the shoe.

I wouldn't pick an expensive pair to do this with since photographs of tree-less shoes are pretty easy to come by.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

I wouldn't pick an expensive pair to do this with since photographs of tree-less shoes are pretty easy to come by.

Agreed, won't do so.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
It might now show in a huge way after only 1 year- depending on how often you wear them. I think the benefits of using shoe trees would be more noticeable after 3-5 years, but it would be a great experiment to learn from!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads