• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

deadAngle

Reaction score
Are club collar shirts ipso facto casual? ...

I can't imagine wearing one with a suit, but I couldn't imagine doing a lot of the things I do now a few years ago.

J

Club collars kind of exist in a world of their own, and in their various incarnations have always been appropriate from workwear all the way up to three-piece suits. I haven't seen one worn with morning dress, but it wouldn't surprise me if club collars are appropriate there, too. Their popularity fluctuates wildly every 40 years or so.

EDIT: Just confirmed that club collars have appeared in morning dress too. Go nuts.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll try some stuff on and see how it looks. Haven't gotten in touch with my inner teenage girl and tried on 20 things in front of the mirror only to put my pajama pants back on and go eat a pint of ice cream in quite some time, I suppose I am overdue.

J

MMoon24

Reaction score
Anyone want to recommend a good website or video link showing how to maintain a good pair of dress shoes? Looking to purchase some AEs soon, and I want to know how to take care of them.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I going to feel a noticeable difference in the difference of two these sportscoats?

(1) P2P 20.25, Sh 17, Sl unfinished, L 30.
(2) P2P 20.75, Sh 17.75, Sl unfinished, L 30.5.

I own the first jacket and am interested in buying the second jacket from one of our B&S sellers.

It's essentially one size bigger. I'm going to go with, yes slightly, but it shouldn't make much of a difference if the first jacket fits you well. If the first jacket fits you and has a bit of room, then you'll probably notice.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I've been wanting a french cuff shirt for awhile now, so two weeks ago I ordered one. Just got it in the mail today but not sure if the cuff fits right on my wrist. I went with an off the rack to see if I like the look and feel of a french cuff, before having one made. So for now can someone tell me if it looks too big. With it on and closed I can slide two fingers between my wrist and the cuff link. If they are too big can they be made smaller.

It looks reasonable to me, but it's hard to tell from the picture. There is a short thread on this that might help you.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/187452/how-should-french-cuffs-fit-your-wrists

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's essentially one size bigger. I'm going to go with, yes slightly, but it shouldn't make much of a difference if the first jacket fits you well. If the first jacket fits you and has a bit of room, then you'll probably notice.

I'm not sure; it really depends on what your maximum allowance on the shoulder is. I typically wear 17.75 to 18.25 shoulder to shoulder. Anything more than that looks too big.

But the chest can be fixed easily if its too big.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure; it really depends on what your maximum allowance on the shoulder is. I typically wear 17.75 to 18.25 shoulder to shoulder. Anything more than that looks too big.

Yeah exactly. You can't really fix the shoulders, so if those are too big the poster is outta luck. So if the current jacket is on the 'big' side of well fitting, it'll be an issue. That's almost an inch of shoulders. Quite substantial.

So if the first jacket is on the larger side of allowances then it won't fit.

Exdeath

Reaction score
Black or med/light brown laces on #8 shell shoes?

Troilus

Reaction score

Yeah exactly. You can't really fix the shoulders, so if those are too big the poster is outta luck. So if the current jacket is on the 'big' side of well fitting, it'll be an issue. That's almost an inch of shoulders. Quite substantial.

So if the first jacket is on the larger side of allowances then it won't fit.

Thanks, all. Very informative. I would say my current suit is slightly smallish, but that's just me rationalizing my desire. The solution is for me to fulfill my new year's resolution of lifting weights again.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody knows why East dane considers 8UK - 8.5US in shoe sizes? Typically isn't it one full size larger? Look into its sizing chart. 

Typically, the difference is a little under one full size, which is then rounded up to a one size difference (since the granularity of non-bespoke shoe sizing precludes any greater precision). In this case, East Dane is taking a somewhat different approach, and rounding down to one half size.

As is explicitly stated, "Sizing and cut varies between brands, so please use this chart as a general guide." Just so.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically, the difference is a little under one full size, which is then rounded up to a one size difference (since the granularity of non-bespoke shoe sizing precludes any greater precision). In this case, East Dane is taking a somewhat different approach, and rounding down to one half size.

As is explicitly stated, "Sizing and cut varies between brands, so please use this chart as a general guide." Just so.
In other words, I'm probably a 8.5UK even though I'm a 9.5US

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

Last edited:

abl

Reaction score
Re raincoat (from several pages earlier):

This looks solid, as something that could work over a suit and over something more casual (not sure about Bonobos construction, though):

link: http://www.bonobos.com/navy-trench-coats-for-men-shamus

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads