• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy a casual unstructured linen/linen blend jacket for every day use here in the Florida sun?

A BB hybrid jacket is the closest I can think of, but I'm not a fan of their fabric blends...

harbinger

Reaction score
I recently found an Italian made, French retailed coat, the fabric composition states super "Vigugna", is this Vicuna, a blend or what ?

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I recently found an Italian made, French retailed coat, the fabric composition states super "Vigugna", is this Vicuna, a blend or what ?

Vigogne is French for Vicuna; the Latin is Vicugna; and the Italian is Vigogna. But there's nothing called "Vigugna"--it could be a made-up word to indicate some sort of fake, or some synthetic they're trying to pass off for feeling like Vicuna. Vicuna is extremely expensive--like $20,000 expensive see: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323392204579073090614851288.html

Is it possible you're reading the "o" in Vigogna as a "u"? Or how 'bout walking into the fanciest retail men's store, or better yet, fabric store in your city and having them take a look at it?

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
Could you help me identify these boots? This is exactly what I'm looking for for winter.

V1KTA222

Reaction score
cross-posted from Allen Edmonds thread:

Just got a pair of black shell park aves. Leather is smooth everywhere, except the captoes, where the leather looks dimpled or pebbled, like the surface of a golf ball. Is this something that will go away with wear or buffing?

Here is a pic: the dimpling is much more pronounced in real life.

harbinger

Reaction score

[COLOR=444445]Vigogne is French for Vicuna; the Latin is Vicugna; and the Italian is Vigogna. But there's nothing called "Vigugna"--it could be a made-up word to indicate some sort of fake, or some synthetic they're trying to pass off for feeling like Vicuna. Vicuna is extremely expensive--like $20,000 expensive see: [/COLOR]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323392204579073090614851288.html

Is it possible you're reading the "o" in Vigogna as a "u"? Or how 'bout walking into the fanciest retail men's store, or better yet, fabric store in your city and having them take a look at it?
[/quote
Many thanks, the label definitely states "Vigugna", its like a hybrid of the above translations, I can,t imagine the actual coat is fake, it,s just too nice, I thought perhaps a blend but now I,m thinking it could be real.

E TF

Reaction score

cross-posted from Allen Edmonds thread: Just got a pair of black shell park aves. Leather is smooth everywhere, except the captoes, where the leather looks dimpled or pebbled, like the surface of a golf ball. Is this something that will go away with wear or buffing? Here is a pic: the dimpling is much more pronounced in real life.
I doubt that will go away unfortunately.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Assuming you don't have a deer bone to hand, try this: stick a good bit of normal black wax polish on the caps (normally not necessary for cordovan). Put some trees in - whatever you have that reaches deepest into the toe. Rub the caps in a circular motion, quite firmly, with the back of a stainless steel spoon - a good stiff one. Then brush off the polish and buff as usual.

As long as the actual toe box isn't damaged underneath, it should help smooth it out a little. You might want to do this more than once for an incremental effect.

Let me know how it goes. If it does something bad, blame yourself for believing the internet. If it works well, you may thank me personally. OK?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you help me identify these boots? This is exactly what I'm looking for for winter.

The black or suede?

Kidding. Alden makes nice boots that look a lot like that. I believe you can get them at J Crew these days for about $500. it's a popular style, so there should be multiple options at lesser price points. LL Bean signature has one, regular LL Bean has a Katahdin Iron Works boot that looks chunkier and heavier, but is a nice work boot.

V1KTA222

Reaction score
Assuming you don't have a deer bone to hand, try this: stick a good bit of normal black wax polish on the caps (normally not necessary for cordovan). Put some trees in - whatever you have that reaches deepest into the toe. Rub the caps in a circular motion, quite firmly, with the back of a stainless steel spoon - a good stiff one. Then brush off the polish and buff as usual.

As long as the actual toe box isn't damaged underneath, it should help smooth it out a little. You might want to do this more than once for an incremental effect.

Let me know how it goes. If it does something bad, blame yourself for believing the internet. If it works well, you may thank me personally. OK?

haha Ok, will give it a go sometime this week and let you know how it ends up.

Tequila

Reaction score
Where to cop a topcoat in camel? Preferably a shop based in Europe so I don't have to deal with the headache that is the tolls.

I imagine the overcoat be in the vein of the one J.Crew one featured here in . It also has to be slim. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads