• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I say don't be put off, morning suit is still best.  But it's not my wedding. So prepare yourself for the rest of your life and do what she wants :)

But if you do go with a lounge suit, braces are always good. Just nobody should ever see them. 

I would just like to make the point that in this day and age, weddings aren't implicitly formal. I would not consider it a formal event unless most of the guests are dressed formally, which (at least in middle class American society) is usually too much to ask. So, if the groom and wedding party wear morning dress while none of the guests do so, it's more like a "pretend formal" event and the groom and groomsmen are playing dress-up or wearing a costume. If you don't mind that, that's fine; wear whatever you want. But personally, formal/semi-formal was never on the table for my wedding since I did not want to be dressed more formally than the guests.

To buchoelbrusco: There is a wedding thread here you may be interested in.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Would these shoes go well with a dark navy suit?
Thinking of buying these vass shoes, it is model Alt English, made on "F" last, the color is Radica Gold. Would having them make a matching belt look well?

Yes they would, albeit in a rather more casual look. A completely matching belt isn't for me personally - and I think a belt this light is not quite right with a dark suit - but it's not exactly weird. Get it, play with it, enjoy it! Fantastic shoes.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on cotton navy jacket and grey wool pants? Does the fabric have to match?

E TF

Reaction score

Thoughts on cotton navy jacket and grey wool pants? Does the fabric have to match?

I think this very much depends on the particular items - post a pic!

But no, the fabrics don't have to match - i often wear wool jackets with cotton trousers - but they do have to have a similar level of formality. Could be fine, just depends on the specifics.

books and tweed

Reaction score
Charcoal sportscoats are not very versatile (have a look through jrd's sportscoat thread). Charcoal linen strikes me as double so. I would advise against it unless you already have an enormous wardrobe (like the owner of the one charcoal sc you'll see in jrd's thread). What did you imagine wearing it with, and for what occasions?

I'd also advise talking to your tailor and sourcing cloth through them for now. They'll get something they're happy working with.

In walking around San Francisco the past few days, I've noticed a striking number of very well dressed men in what were clearly bespoke linen jackets. Not too odd, of course, for the end of summer, but what struck me was their color - almost all fell somewhere between charcoal and black, perhaps with a little color woven in like a midnight blue. I understand the logic of it being a difficult sport coat color/fabric combination to match well, but their light grey trousers or lighter denim picked it up really nicely. It's obviously a very casual piece, even in the construction, but it just looked so gorgeous as an every day jacket for the city.

E TF

Reaction score

In walking around San Francisco the past few days, I've noticed a striking number of very well dressed men in what were clearly bespoke linen jackets. Not too odd, of course, for the end of summer, but what struck me was their color - almost all fell somewhere between charcoal and black, perhaps with a little color woven in like a midnight blue. I understand the logic of it being a difficult sport coat color/fabric combination to match well, but their light grey trousers or lighter denim picked it up really nicely. It's obviously a very casual piece, even in the construction, but it just looked so gorgeous as an every day jacket for the city.

Hmm well I'd be interested to see pictures of this.

But speaking generally, when you're new to it going bespoke can seem like an opportunity to get weird and wonderful things made (almost an obligation), but more often than not this ends up being a waste of effort and money. Much better really to get classic, versatile, conservative stuff made bespoke, and buy the odder things OTR as you come across them (or have them made too if funds allow). Too often people do the opposite (I speak from experience to some extent) and end up with sub-par basics but expensive odd-ball stuff that doesn't get worn that much.

books and tweed

Reaction score
Hmm well I'd be interested to see pictures of this.

But speaking generally, when you're new to it going bespoke can seem like an opportunity to get weird and wonderful things made (almost an obligation), but more often than not this ends up being a waste of effort and money. Much better really to get classic, versatile, conservative stuff made bespoke, and buy the odder things OTR as you come across them (or have them made too if funds allow). Too often people do the opposite (I speak from experience to some extent) and end up with sub-par basics but expensive odd-ball stuff that doesn't get worn that much.

Too bad I didn't snap pictures. I really do want to grab something linen and a bit darker, though - perhaps OTR could work, but at 6'4'' and skinny, it never tends to work too well. Being that I've had nothing made bespoke yet, you're probably right. Maybe Luxire could make something like this MTM...

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a vest with besom pockets have darts put in? I remember hearing it's not do-able because of the pocket getting bunched up, but can't the pocket also be cut?

The Hun

Reaction score
Attila Szomju is the best tailor in Richmond. Slim fit classic fit, no problem he is simply the best.

The Hun

Reaction score
The front of the vest has no darts? ...yes it can be done, take it to Attila in Richmond , VA, he can do magic.

E TF

Reaction score
You see you can't use the screen name "the Hun" and then talk about a tailor named Attila and pretend it isn't you. Shoulda at least picked a different screen name.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would guys call this quarter or half break?

33ej0ie.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads