• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
If all these choices are just OK then can you suggest some good aviators?

By OK I mean they look fine. I like the tortoiseshell rim and the simple temples.

AlexWb

Reaction score
As a gift from one of my grandparents, I was given a sum of money to spend on a go-to suit for business, etc. I chose this Ring Jacket navy suit from The Armoury. http://www.thearmourystore.com/suits...navy-wool-suit In person, it looks almost black. I'm not sure what the color is called--midnight navy? It's not quite the "navy" I had imagined. Is this too dark to be wearable every day, especially in the summer? I personally love it, but I'm a little wary about how it may look black (The photo from The Armoury is well-lit. In normal light, it looks a lot darker). Should I be looking for a staple navy suit that's lighter in color? Thanks!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm having a hard time finding linen pocket squares that aren't showy. Anyone know where I can get some simplified and humble ones? I'd really like a white one with a navy blue pattern. Something like this but inverted.
I'm a little surprised that you're finding most linen squares too showy. Most are either solids or relatively subdued plaid or stripe patterns. I have seen the occasional print, but they're fairly uncommon except for the really hideous stuff you might find on ebay.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexWb
As a gift from one of my grandparents, I was given a sum of money to spend on a go-to suit for business, etc. I chose this Ring Jacket navy suit from The Armoury.

http://www.thearmourystore.com/suits...navy-wool-suit

In person, it looks almost black. I'm not sure what the color is called--midnight navy? It's not quite the "navy" I had imagined. Is this too dark to be wearable every day, especially in the summer? I personally love it, but I'm a little wary about how it may look black. Should I be looking for a staple navy suit that's lighter in color?

Thanks!

Based on how it looks on my monitor, it looks lighter than midnight blue. A midnight blue fabric is going to look black under all but the most ideal lighting or in close comparison to fabric that is actually black. For example, see the dinner jacket here:

http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/...nner-suit.html

If the suit you are considering is in fact midnight blue, I would agree that it is too dark for a go-to business suit and you should find a regular navy one.

AlexWb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Based on how it looks on my monitor, it looks lighter than midnight blue. A midnight blue fabric is going to look black under all but the most ideal lighting or in close comparison to fabric that is actually black. For example, see the dinner jacket here:

http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/...nner-suit.html

If the suit you are considering is in fact midnight blue, I would agree that it is too dark for a go-to business suit and you should find a regular navy one.

Ah, I see. Yes it is lighter than the tuxedo in your link, but is this still suitable as a "darker than average" navy?

Archivist

Reaction score
Ah, I see. Yes it is lighter than the tuxedo in your link, but is this still suitable as a "darker than average" navy?

I've got a suit that is about that shade of blue, if I can trust the picture. I really like it, but it is dark. If I were looking for a single suit, I'd probably look for one that was a bit lighter. That said, you might pull off the dark blue with the right shirt and tie. In it's favor, you could wear it in the evening without any trouble.

Also, you mention wearing it every day? That would be pretty rough on any suit. Starting out, I'm tempted to suggest you pick up 2 slightly less expensive suits (Navy, Gray). Though the Ring looks like a very nice suit.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
Is solid grey acceptable interview attire or do I really need charcoal or navy? Considering this suit...I would wear a white shirt of course.

DSC_0010.jpg

Acceptable? Yes. Recommended? No. Depending on your complexion and skin tone, some more contrast maybe needed.

AlexWb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
I've got a suit that is about that shade of blue, if I can trust the picture. I really like it, but it is dark. If I were looking for a single suit, I'd probably look for one that was a bit lighter. That said, you might pull off the dark blue with the right shirt and tie. In it's favor, you could wear it in the evening without any trouble. Also, you mention wearing it every day? That would be pretty rough on any suit. Starting out, I'm tempted to suggest you pick up 2 slightly less expensive suits (Navy, Gray). Though the Ring looks like a very nice suit.
Thanks for the helpful answer. Sorry, I didn't literally mean every day that was misleading. I have a few other suits (charcoal gray, khaki chino, light gray linen--CA weather), but I really want a good navy staple suit. To clarify, I already have this suit. I'm just deciding whether to keep it or not
smile.gif
*I guess I found the answer to my question (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's in the very definition of what navy is. Navy is a very dark blue that almost seems black. Air Force Blue on the other hand is a lighter color, and is probably what most stores are marking as "navy" these days, even when it's not.

Archivist

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful answer. Sorry, I didn't literally mean every day that was misleading. I have a few other suits (charcoal gray, khaki chino, light gray linen--CA weather), but I really want a good navy staple suit. To clarify, I already have this suit. I'm just deciding whether to keep it or not
smile.gif
*I guess I found the answer to my question (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's in the very definition of what navy is. Navy is a very dark blue that almost seems black. Air Force Blue on the other hand is a lighter color, and is probably what most stores are marking as "navy" these days, even when it's not.

Airforce blue is much lighter. I don't know this as a fact, but I think some of the confusion about "Navy" blue stems from different Navies using different blues. In particular, the British Navy uses a (slightly) lighter blue than the US Navy. I think what we generally see as Navy blue is closer the the British. Particularly in the sun, it's not as dark, and a little richer. I can't really tell from a picture what shade of blue that suit is, but it looks like it is the darker blue, more of a true navy. I'd suggest talking to the guys at the Armoury, they have a thread here, and ask their advice. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=204978 edit: For fun, do a google image search for navy blue, and look at the variation in color swatches you get.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sqweegle
Is there consensus on red brick soles? Yay/nay?

Depends on the shoe. No problem with bucks.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
I don't know this as a fact, but I think some of the confusion about "Navy" blue stems from different Navies using different blues.

And to add a little to the discussion, the color of the USN dress blues is almost black.

NeedMoney

Reaction score
What can you wear with Chino shorts from J. Crew.

I'm in college so I still wear some nice flip flops but I was wondering about shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 66 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 31 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads